A journey down the rabbit hole of mixing e-liquid.šŸ°

Oh, regarding heat with creams and custards I know from experience that you are spot on correct. I donā€™t use much or hardly any heat with fruits, but 140 F with creams and custards is exactly where Iā€™m at temp wise too.

6 Likes

I can concur with this myself, I have a laboratory incubator That I used for heat treatment and I run it anywhere between 50 and 60Ā°.

4 Likes

Thats a slick way of doing it. I imagine the heat is uniform as could be.

3 Likes

indeed, and it has an Overheat Protection, so if I set it to 55 degrees and set the Overheat Protection to 60 degrees it will never go above it.
On a side note is also great for drying equipment.

5 Likes

Ive heard that too which is why i only do it with creams, my thinking is theres not alot of high notes in cream blends. I only use it in an emergency when a batch of juice im counting on turns out bad. Recently i used borosilicate glass to steep in and it turned out completely different and quite nasty, so out came the blender.

1 Like

Have you tried putting a magnetic mixer in your incubator ? This is something i want to try but i dont have an incubator yet.

1 Like

NO this would not be wise, and I would not advise anyone to put any electrical items In an incubator if you want to heat a mixture use a hotplate magnetic stirrer and when you are finished mixing transfer to your incubator to finish it or leave to one side and place a bung in your flask and leave to age/steep.

My recommendation would be to use this or something with similar specs.
http://www.bibby-shop.com/product/US152

3 Likes

To quote abdada again who is clearly highly regarded :
ā€œI homogenize VG in batches under heat to get them super flowy and silky.ā€ ā€œAfter it cools, I will heat it up again to a lower temperature (based on what components are going into solution). Citrus flavors especially do well with homogenization as it allows the citrus oils to emulsify beautifully and the slight heat lets off the harshest citrus notes (terpenes are a bitch).
Pastries and custards and creams with a lot of bottom notes do well with homogenization at even higher temperatures, but that can be a two step process ā€“ add bottom notes, homogenize at higher temp, cool down and add mid and top notes, homogenize at lower temps.ā€

This multi stage mixing technique fascinates me and I am experimenting along these lines. For quite awhile I have wondered if the missing link between DIY mixing and large scale production of e juices lies in the equipment and method used rather than some flavor combination and percentage. I donā€™t know but it sure makes me want to own a homogenizer.

2 Likes

I would say from my research its a lot to do with the equipment you have, and knowledge of how best to bind them all together, There are many divided opinions on how to mix or blend E-liquid but one thing you canā€™t argue with Is the science behind the machinery Is there for a reason and it is used for a reason. I believe that even if we had a set way of making E-liquid People would still argue it and find other ways to do it cheaper, though sometimes cheaper is not always the right way to do it But if theyā€™re happy with there E-liquid then thatā€™s all that matters however For me Iā€™m striving for something higher and will help anyone who is the same thinking.

6 Likes

I agree. Information sharing and collaboration can benefit all. Along the lines of your other statements and even though I would love to experiment with a high shear device, Iā€™m not convinced that I am not accomplishing the same thing through stirring/agitation but at a slower time frame. This is all very interesting.

2 Likes

I believe the only thing I will be achieving is faster and possibly better emulsification of the liquids, as you said you will achieve the same but in a slower time frame. There is also on a molecular level The molecules will be a lot smaller With a homogenised liquid Compared to a non-homogenised liquid. And I have yet to find out Whether this makes difference or not, time will tell.

2 Likes

her is some more interesting reading for those who want to know more about homogenisation.

1 Like

Hereā€™s what Iā€™m wondering most about homogenizing vs. traditional shake-n-steepā€¦ Does it just help accelerate the steep, or is there an actual additional component that helps enhance the end product?

Iā€™ll try to explain what I mean with an exampleā€¦If you refrigerate tomatoes, a specific flavor agent is disabled forever. To quote:

"Cooling tomatoes below 54 degrees stops them from making some of the substances that contribute to their taste, according to researchers who dug into the genetic roots of the problem.

That robs the fruit of flavor, whether it happens in a home refrigerator or in cold storage after harvest but before the produce reaches the grocery store shelf, they said."

So in relation to this topic, does homogenizing unlock or enhance anything that is ā€˜missedā€™ by not doing it? I hope that makes sense.

3 Likes

I have tried this multi stage mixing and it didnt go so well, i mixed the bottom notes and then later the high notes in a similar manner. I found the vg to be ā€œfilled upā€ with the bottom notes and the top notes were poorely expressed in the end result. Its as if the top notes couldnt combine with the vg because it was already ā€œfullā€ of the bottom notes. I only tried it on one recipe so maybe the recipe didnt agree with the technique

2 Likes

To answer your question, homogenization is a process in which a mixture is made uniform throughout. generally, this procedure involves reducing the size of the particles of one component of the mixture and dispersing them evenly throughout the other components Which will help with steeping/ageing and it will help combine the flavours and base liquids More efficiently, also with mechanical homogenizers, there is 1000 times more energy than traditional stirring methods. This
allows the following to be mixed more efficiently:
Fluid-fluid (even viscous liquid, such as BHO can be easily homogenized)
Fluid-solid
Solid-solid
(without liquid medium, lower bearing material will be custom changed)
With Mechanical homogenizers, a higher quality and better performing finished product are produced, because mechanical homogenization allows for reduced particle size and Increased particle uniformity.

3 Likes

I bet if you homogenised it would work lol, All joking aside this would be a good test for a homogenizer.

3 Likes

Homogenizers cost $1000 minimum ?

1 Like

I would say about Ā£3000 pounds sterling or $3995.94 dollars if you live in the USA look at https://proscientific.com/hand-held-homogenizers/pro250-homogenizer/

1 Like

i need new stir bars but want the oval ones , which do u use

1 Like

Tablet shaped.

1 Like