A Look at the Charon Mini

11 Likes

Nice review. It’s been my daily driver since the end of July. The operation has been consistent, but unfortunately lately the battery door has become loose enough to wiggle slightly, which drives me NUTS. My wife started using one the same time as me, and her door also wiggles. I believe anyway that the longer bottom magnet becomes slightly recessed over time, weakening the seal just enough to make the OCD in me crazy. A little of the gold coating has worn off from contact with my wedding band, and not surprisingly the finish is wearing off the bottom. But it is still a daily driver for now, unless that door wiggle sends me over the egde.

6 Likes

Nicely done you dirty raskal !!!

5 Likes

So, that really bugs you? Ok, I will be more tolerant of that and report on it in the future. Thanks for commenting, because I get my information of the way people vape from everybody here at ELR.

4 Likes

Great review man!

Would it be ok to repost it on my site? (credit will be given of course :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

For sure Brother

3 Likes

I knew there were solid reasons for not marrying (again) :grin:

4 Likes

Great review, I love the display on that MOD!
:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

Me too. and the ability to put up your own wallpaper and screensaver, both of which can be different if you wish.

3 Likes

Meh, no need to to anything differently because of me. I didn’t mean to upset you or step on your toes. Just wanted to add my thoughts, having used it for a while now as a daily.

4 Likes

You didn’t offend me in the slightest. If there is one person, there are bound to be more. Besides, I try to be tolerant of others. I always thought nobody cares about that, so It’s good to know I can be wrong sometimes. :grin:

3 Likes

I knew I should have read the manual…

3 Likes

Feels a bit nit-picky… But I wanted to clarify something (a possible perceived inconsistency between our reviews, should one happen to take in both in a short time frame).

You mentioned that the Charon Mini retains the clock (and that you were pleased about this).
I reported that it does not.

Both are technically correct. However, the point of distinction where we diverged was (where you might not have noticed) dependant upon the length of time the batteries remained outside of the unit. :wink:

On quick changes, the clock is indeed retained.
However (and I would have to go back and recheck) if you leave the batteries out for an extended period, the clock will reset.
There is no internal battery in the Charon Mini (like there is in the Cylon) specifically for retaining clock settings.

Just wanted to explain why we arrived at (and presented) seemingly different statements.

I just left my batteries out for a couple of hours (while they were on the charger) to verify this. Though IIRC, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t take anywhere near that long to reset the clock.

If I’m not mistaken, they opted to use a storage capacitor in this section of the circuit for quick changes (which is what many will probably do).

In my review, I opted to report for the point of view of a new user who might not have multiple sets of batteries while starting out. (I’ll try and be more specific about this in the future.) if they only have one set per device, the clock on the Charon Mini will be reset by the time the batteries will recharge.

3 Likes

Just retested (and verified), it takes less than 5 minutes for the clock to reset to 00:00. :wink:

3 Likes

Ah ha, you are right of course, I just checked it myself. I wish I would have known that, I was so excited about it not resetting, I ran with it. I did take it apart too and I thought the battery must have been on the other side of the board, being as how I did not take it apart that far. I knew that if I took the board completly off… lets just say I can’t always put it back together.

Anywho, I will go back and put that information in the description.

Thanks bro.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry that much about it.

The only reason I do, is an almost ocd tendency to try and get the details right. Most won’t give a flying fu… Leap I’d bet.

Oh, and there’s no “of course” to it.

I ef-up more than I care to. As much as I try to be detail oriented…
(doesn’t stop me from trying, all the same)

3 Likes

About the clock… one other oddity I have noticed. It doesn’t really keep good time. I have not had the cells out long enough for it to lose time. But I’ve noticed it isn’t all that accurate over time. It had gained over 25 minutes since July. I just reset it for DST recently so I will see if the trend continues… I don’t look at it often anyway, but odd.

4 Likes

That would almost have to be due to the crystal oscillator which sets the clock frequency in the chip. Interesting to know nonetheless!

4 Likes

I can confirm the same for Naboo mod. After about 5 minutes the capacitor empties and the clock resets back to 00:00

5 Likes

Thanks for the review Dan, enjoyed it as usual.
Did you check TC with a SS coil as well?

And great idea to give away a free recipe with a review :slight_smile: Don’t have all the ingredients (yet) for this one but it’s looking very good

3 Likes