A Monster Created - mass flavorings

If you need a guinea pig for this, I volunteer. I made corresponding notes for Cappuccino FA and Italian Relax because they’re the same flavor but Bull City sells it as Cappuccino, only using Italian in the description. They do the same with Red Touch strawberry but I don’t have any notes for that.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with you, and I’m glad you brought it up! As in the process, I’ve learned what works best to help solve what we see to JoJo!

I just wanted to make sure that you (and those reading) know that I’m not trying to throw things sideways (for anyone) , just trying to offer my thoughts and suggestions, like you and the others, in the hopes of helping to refine things, so that data is maximized, while the ‘noise’ is squelched. :wink:

1 Like

OK I think I have this figured out and it looks like the dupe issue in the flavor stash isn’t a thing anymore. When flavors are merged, only one copy stays in the stash.

If you have two (or more) copies of a flavor that get merged and one is the ‘real’ flavor notes (and single %, bottle size, etc.) on the real flavor will be the ones that are kept. If you have one dupe flavor in your stash and it gets merged into a real flavor, the notes and stuff you have stay and the flavor name and ID get changed to the real one. If you have two (or more) dupe flavors and none of them are the real flavor, the notes from the flavor with the lowest ID are kept.

2 Likes

I can now edit my note on Italian Relax. Thanks for working on this! I’m sure a lot of people have had more trouble than I did but it’s still a good thing. Now if only you could wave a magic wand and make all of the vendors keep the manufacturers actual name, lol.

2 Likes

Sheesh! Tell me about it. Half the confusion and mess comes from that. LoL.

2 Likes

I look for misspells too. You can’t do this if you search for the proper name. Use less of the name and you’ll get more results. I do Dupe Checker anytime I add any flavor. An example would be entering “straw” into the Dupe search and you’ll get all the Strawberyy etc. Spelling people!

6 Likes

It’s a dying art. :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah, I feel your pain.

I just sent JoJo a ton of dup’s, and one group among them particularly tickled me. I even mouthed it in a French accent as I was clicking submit…

Freanch vanilla (and the variants…) lmao

3 Likes

I actually dreamt the other night that we’d all managed to get the dupes down to like 6. Actually dreamt about the dupe checker!! :joy:

6 Likes

YKYAVW… :laughing:

3 Likes

@JoJo is it just me or in 12 days did the flavor list just increase by right at 1,000 new additions?

When I first asked about it there were right at 70,400 items… now there seems to be about 71308.
(okay 992 new things… (more if you had removed some of the dupes we suggested already)).

any SQL experts out there? I’m sure some little scripts could easily be written to deal with the database. I’d love to see it cleaned up as much as possible. With the right sql queries 80% of the data can be cleaned up quickly. The other 20% is a different matter. But you should easily be able to clean up the obvious problems. i.e. merging TPA with TFA and variants.

Well 70 more “flavors” were added in the last 12 hours, of course, that could be l
legitimate… but doubtful.

Nooooooooooo! :astonished:

Perusing recipes I saw an offender and it struck me a rule that would reveal many Dupes at once. Search LA FA TFA TPA FLV etc for all the flavors use the Vendor name first. Example: FA-Fuji

3 Likes

Not surprised. I think that goes back to some people really desiring the ability to sort by type/vendor/brand/etc (as I mentioned above). That’s the only reason I can see.

I think if we could get the ability to sort/group implemented, you’d see alot of dupes stop. YMMV.

Whether it’s OCD, or just wanting to make things easier when it comes time to order, I think it weighs heavier than some folks realize!

Well… 174 “new” flavors have been added to the “Flavor List” in the last 24 hours. Is there anyway to see what or when ingredients are added? It would be interesting to see what theses new items are… ?
I mean one of the last things on the list is a “flavor” called ~@~ geeezzz (the geeezzz part isn’t part of the named ingredient btw just my feeling about it). And of course there are these things… 威士忌 - Flavour Art (which if you translate comes out to be… Whiskey - Flavor Art)

1 Like

Some of these weird names might be people adding a DIY thing they made. Maybe in time we can develop a standardized way of including that in the flavor name. In any case, a few of the new flavors are from me adding Real Flavors that weren’t in the data base yet. I used the (SC) (Real Flavors) tag like it appears on the others. I think I did it right. :wink:

3 Likes

i started working on dupe and obvious flavor DB mistakes. I dont read the forums too often, only chat to get my info. I think i did my 1st 12 flavors incorrectly tho and i just missed jojo’s bedtime before i realized this. When i enter in a flavor, u can only choose 1 correct one and others that are dupes, so my q would be should i select the correct one and then select the dupes of that branding, then submit and start over for another brand of that flavor? I was simply selecting all the obvious dupes but not really telling u what they were dupes of…catch my drift? I hope so, i barely understand myself.

1 Like

@worm1
Most of the work is getting done on the Dupe Checker thread now I think.