A reply regarding the TPD

I thought I should share a reply I received today regarding an email I’ve been sending out to our politicians and some media outlets. I was outlining the concerns we all have about the upcoming TPD in Europe and the Deeming regulations in the US. I had included reports from the Royal College of Physician, Cancer Research UK, Health Information and Quality Authority in Ireland and the European Policy Information Center, all of which backed up what we all know about vaping and the benefits it has. Enjoy.

Damian a chara,

Many thanks for your email to Gerry Adams TD. on the issue of Tobacco Products Directive or TPD.

Thank you for taking the time to outline your thoughts on the matter.

As you may be aware Sinn Féin MEP Martina Anderson, played a key role in driving the Tobacco Products Directive as one of the Shadow Rapporteurs on the Tobacco Products Directive.

The Directive consists of strengthened rules on how tobacco products can be manufactured, presented and sold.

The proposals included measures for products that were not specifically regulated so far, such as e-cigarettes and herbal products for smoking.

Sinn Féin believe that not only will the Directive see a major reduction in the use of tobacco products but will help relieve the pressure on health budgets through the reduction of smoking related illnesses in all member states- preventing an estimated 700,000 premature deaths.

We believe that we still need more studies on the long term safety of electronic cigarettes even though some evidence suggests electronic cigarettes are considerably safer than smoking regular cigarettes.

Currently, work is underway on legislation in the Department of Health on the bill below

Public Health (Sale of Tobacco Products and Non-Medicinal Nicotine Delivery Systems) Bill
To provide for inter alia, the 1) retail licensing of tobacco products and Non-Medical Nicotine Delivery Systems, 2) prohibition of the sale of tobacco products from self service vending services, 3) prohibition of the sale of tobacco products by persons under 18 years of age, and 4) prohibition of the sale of non-medicinal nicotine delivery systems by, and to persons under 18 years of age
Work is underway

When this bill comes to the Health committee for pre legislative scrutiny, we will examine it in terms of evidence based policy and on evidence presented to committee. This will also present an opportunity to consider all opinions and concerns raised .

Currently the Bill has not been published and there is no date for same that we are aware of at this point.

Best wishes,

Nikki Gavan.

Office of Gerry Adams TD
Sinn Féin President
Kildare St
Dublin 2

3 Likes

Dear Damian

Thank you for your email, Gino Kenny is our health spokesperson, I will bring this to his attention. I myself vape and if it wasn’t for vaping I would never have given up my 20 a day habit of smoking. I know many more the same who gave up smoking because of e-cigarettes. The biggest lobbying group against e-cigarettes is the nicotine product companies ironically owned by tobacco companies. I would suggest you email the health committee TDs as any legislation gets discussed there, the list can be found on Oireachtas.ie

Kind Regards
Leah Speight
Secretarial Assistant

2 Likes