Advice Needed: Selling DIY e-Liquid to Local Shop

I’ve been giving samples of my recipes to a couple of guys at my local vapor shop, it’s one of the nicer shops in the city, not a little pop-up in a smoke shop. One of the guys is the store manager. They’ve helped me a great deal with honest feedback along the way since I started in June. Now, they have taken a strong liking to one of my recipes, ordered a bottle each to buy(first time for that!) and, went so far as to say I need a nice label, and the manager wants to talk to the owner about putting it on the shelf. One guy said he’d buy (6) 60ml bottles. Yeah!

This is pretty exciting, but I’m tempering that with a heavy dose of realism. I assume the owner has to worry about many aspects in order to carry a locally produced line, like how it’s produced, and how clean the environment I make it in might be. Tax Id’s. Sources for my nic, flavors, bases, etc… Or, maybe not? Maybe it’s easier than I think? Maybe if it’s a consignment, he’d be ok without a worry.

Do any of you have experience with a situation similar to this? It’s just talk right now, not a real offer, but any tips or advice would be great. Thanks!

4 Likes

Are you in the States? If so, then once you start selling, you are deemed a Manufacturer in the FDA’s eyes/regulations and are subject to all of the legal fooferall.(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT A LAWYER) There’s a bit of paperwork and a fair amount of cash that is involved with that, so unless you’re prepared to lay out some serious prep work, you might just want to stay with “gifting” that juice.

8 Likes

Sound advice. Thank you! I am in the states, yes.

1 Like

No worries. I see a fair amount of mixers selling their wares over at /r/DIY_Classifieds(Reddit’s the only other site I get to on the reg for e-juice mixing and reviews), so maybe take a look at what they’re doing and maybe reach out to one of the sellers there? That’s about the only other thing that I can come up with.

It’s really unfortunate that there’s no “micro” manufacturing protocols within the pending regulations(At least there wasn’t the last time I trudged through that cesspool) which means that as soon as you start the selling process, you’re in the leagues of all the big boys out there.

3 Likes

That is a shame, they could have a “less than x amount per fiscal quarter” provision, or something like that.

I’ll poke around on the reddits and see what I can glean. (I’ll also check out the other thread(s) on the subject here on ELR. I skipped it because I figured my situation may be more specific to me than previous discussions, and may have had different parameters to discuss)… Thanks for the tips!

2 Likes

i agree with @paingawd , myself and a local shop owner had a line we were working on Heroes and Villains it was a great ideas if you could imagine superman the profile would be a blueberry / strawberry and a touch of banana or lemon , anyway the idea was to use the colors of their outfits to match the flave profile , as we ( i ) were developing the recipes we digged into the legal stuff and its impossible almost to have someone mix in house or at another place the cost was crazy , and there arent any loopholes but you can always sell it to the guys under the table but to have the juice on the shelf is another story

5 Likes

Sell the recipe with maybe a little created by plundrum on label … and let the local shop worry about the legal hurdles.

2 Likes

thats thw problem though , if the FDA comes in and wants to know about that juice and where it comes from the shop has to produce documents then they come after you as the manufacturer bot the shop and yourself are screwed

2 Likes

Kinda why I suggested sell the recipe, let the vape shop manufacture it and worry about all the legal bull…

4 Likes

the recipe , sorry i didnt not see that

2 Likes

@Plunderdrum @paingawd nailed it.

Lot’s of regulations, tax and legal exposure, and more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/6949st/making_and_selling_ejuice_from_home_will_it_be/
https://aspenvalleyvapes.com/making-your-own-diy-e-juice-might-not-be-a-good-idea/

Not trying to discourage you, just be aware.

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight. That super hero/villain line sounds cool, man. Wish it would have worked out! Looks like I’ll be staying on the down-low.

3 Likes

it was very inspirational , i may do it just for fun one day , thank you

3 Likes

Yeah, man. I’m not discouraged. Thanks for the links, I’m happy enough just to have seen someone’s eyes get wide and go “woah, this is really good” when they tried my stuff out. Especially since they try out so many pro retail liquids. It’s totally encouraging. I figured there would be some major barriers in the way of selling. Glad to have the info on what it woukd take.

3 Likes

Thats a good idea! I had thought about it, but I doubt it will fly with this shop. They, for some silly reason, use only Cap for their in-house line. They’d be like "Real Flavors and Nature’s Flavors who? :smiley:

3 Likes

Sell it on the SIDE !!! Cash only …

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation, brother! Always good to know when I’m not talking out of my backside :smiley:

3 Likes

well normally ejuices should be made in a lab or something… selling home made ejuice is prohibitted here i live and all labs that i know have high ISO standards… on the other hand speaking by the meanings of law you should find a way on how to deal with the supposed money you will get from his…
possibly the best thing you could do is selling your recipe and taking some percentage of money back by the sales of ejuice if the store can make it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can I have the recipe to give you my honest opinion? :smiley:

3 Likes
3 Likes