Allergies to citrus fruits + Vapes

Iā€™m with @TorturedZen on this one. Many flavors are artificial, but Iā€™d steer clear for sure! Anaphylaxis is seen as a ā€œnegativeā€ reaction in my line of work. :sunglasses: As in bad. Very bad.

7 Likes

Many thanks for answering this question. She wants me to mix something fruity, the question is what is there in the chemical constituents, It is probably a lot of lemon ish, even in some custards, and it is chemically developed, and not from oil, and then we have stone fruit, Make it more of a challenge.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not a chemist and I donā€™t know what the chemicals are but my fear would be that the actual compounds gotten from citrus /fruits that trigger her allergies may be the same ones the chemists use in our concentrates.
Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in. :blush:

8 Likes

Iā€™ll say it depends on the brand. Iā€™ve a citrus and peanut allergy and some other bs lol.

But I have no issues vaping citrus so far, same for peanut (butter) till I found flavorah peanut butter.

These guys seem to use actual peanuts/oils whatever else is close to the real thing :wink: and itā€™s great flavor (nothing against that brand), however I take two hits from a juice that uses it, and my allergy kicks right in.

Tpa peanut butter no issue, neither cap or fw etc.

So as others mentioned, maybe proceed with caution and just work without these flavorings, after having maybe mixed a bit, give couple drops of certain brands a try and see how that turns out, but be careful. Good luck.

6 Likes

Thank you, I agree that the risk exists and there is nothing to play with. have heard similar to allergic who can vape, but really want to be sure.

7 Likes

perhaps your friend can do an allergy test. not sure how that would be done in a non medical environment but if you know a doctor or a nurse you could have them do an allergy test for that specific liquid that your friend wants to vape.

since iā€™m not a doctor or a nurse, take this advice with a truckload of salt (instead of a grain) and consult someone in the medical field first :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Unfortunately most of the good stuff is organic or mixed with compounds.
Vaping it is not the same as eating it butā€¦ canā€™t afford mistakes, so youā€™ll definitely have to go with the artificials, still you have to make sure and check the specs, on ELR youā€™ll find most of the manufacturerā€™s data sheets (that issue themā€¦ unfortunately) and itā€™ll take some time to sort it out.
Hereā€™s one that you could go for:
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx

Letā€™s see Lemon:
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/componentlist.aspx?sku_search=LEM0061
Youā€™ll notice that on that one it specifically says: d-Limonene and probably youā€™ll have to stay away from itā€¦because that is what she can be allergic toā€¦ The Lemonene!!!

But only after youā€™ve checked what she is allergic to, you can make your choice.

I, as everybody else said, would go for bakeries and tobacco mixtures.
Otherwise try recipes with lime and tangerines and oranges (after youā€™ve checked) Iā€™m sure he/she will love them.

4 Likes

Stay away from INW Lemon Cake (if the formulation hasnā€™t changed from a few years ago) :lemon:.

5 Likes

Inawera and their refornulations *grumble grumble :unamused:

5 Likes

Berries, Apple, Pineapple? Lots of great flavors out there. Might try Natureā€™s Flavors extracts over at diyvaporsupply.com. They wonā€™t be made of a bunch of common compounds, just the fruit in the name.

Banana?

4 Likes

Maybe you;re right , but I just donā€™t follow this logic, and tend to opposite conclusion.

My thinking is that suppose you have Wild Raspberry (MF) , for example. , you can sure that it;s got nothing but raspberry in it. No limonene, no stone fruits, no compound extracted from some wholly unexpected source.

By contrast, the artificial flavours can be complex, and the formulae can often be changed without warning. The name of the flavour doesnā€™t give much of a clue as to whatā€™s actually in the bottle.

Me, Iā€™m using mainly organic flavours from MF and NF, mosrly on account of my PG allergy, but I do have a whole raft of other food sensitivities besides, eg to many articial sweeteners, and gluten, so Iā€™m often being a bit cavalier with the other flavours , going by ā€œthatā€™s probably alrightā€ rather than waste loads of time on research that might be dated before Iā€™ve finished. it was enough of a schlepp, just finding the PG-free flavours.

Point is, I feel entirely safe with the organics, cos youā€™re getting exactly what it says on the label, no weird componds thrown in. I use non-organics too (so long as theyā€™re devoid of PG) but i wouldnā€™t recommend, especially not if thereā€™s some danger of anaphylactic shock.

As for looking up info on the relevant data sheets. well, maybe Iā€™m just not looking hard enough , but I never found a data sheet yet that gives the info I really need: that is, a complete list of ingredients. They usually just mention anything that appears on their list of ā€œcommon allergensā€ , and happily declare it ā€œallergen freeā€ if they canā€™t find any .

I was pleased to see that TPA had PG listed on their data sheet as an allergen . Thatā€™s highly unusual in my experience. But can i trust them to mention corn starch and artificial sweeteners as possible allergens? I doubt it. Because if manufacturers actually did list every possible allergen, then they surely would be just giving us the full ingredient list.

That said, you can contact manufacturers directly, and explicitly ask them if their flavours contain the following [insert list of allergens]. And you probably should.

(sorry, Plunderdrum. This was not meant as a reply to you. just clicked the wrong button.)

7 Likes

I luckily not really allergic to anything and I know some mixers that (like you I guess) are allergic to PG and know to what extent they went in finding the right flavours and checking ingredients and I definitely havenā€™t got the same experience, itā€™s a nightmare, no thank youā€¦
I was just sharing my thoughtsā€¦

BTW where do you buy MF or NF in England?
Thanks

4 Likes

I am not 100% sure that that statement is correct it would be wise to ask MF - it is quite common for flavour companies to add other extracts to extracts to help them out a little. I really have no clue if MF do or donā€™t but if you are talking allergies it would be prudent to investigate.

5 Likes

hey :slight_smile:
excuse the late reply. The answer to the latter question (where to buy NF in England?) is you canā€™t. You just have to bite the bullet and odrer from abroad. ā€¦unless some new supplier that i donā€™t yet know about has popped up? (if anybody stumbes across one, please post here

As for where to buy MFin the UK, there actually are a few suppliers .Iā€™ve got a dedicated thread for that too :grinning:

Yeah. :frowning: thatā€™s precisely why some of us are making dedicated PG-free threads, and the main reason why Iā€™ve made the MF and NF supplier threads Hopefully people with newly discovered allergies will find our threads before they give up!and then they wonā€™t have such a hard time as I did.

Still, I do strongly suspect that most PG-allergics just give up on vaping before they get as far as mixing their own ā€¦and/or before they figure out that itā€™s the PG thatā€™s triggering their problems. Not everybody is active on vaping forums, after all, and how well known is the issue out there in the real world? The supermarket kiosk juices all have PG in them , as do nearly all the juices in the vape shops - presumably because it cuts their profit margins if they take account of the minority :rage: .

2 Likes

Good point . I might also add that Iā€™ve found MF to be really helpful on those sort of questions. Which is another reason (apart from wider choice and free samples, if you ask) why itā€™s best to bite the bullet order directly from MF , even if youā€™re in the UK, IMO ,

Yeah, US postal charges are atrocious. Import duties are atrocious. But if you wait until MF is offering a discount (as they regularly do) and if the currency conversion from USD to GBP makes 'em cheaper, anyway, then it usually works out at about the same (depending on quantity ofc)

Iā€™m sure MF would be be happy to answer polite questions in any case, but I feel more comfortable asking those qustions when they can see that Iā€™m buying their product

2 Likes

I thought I was allergic to PG. Then I remember when I use-to-use store bought NIC patches to try and quit. They would leave a red welt the size of the patch and it would take 7-10 days to completely disappear. But even tho it seems like my skin was reacting to it. I vape NIC just fine.

So I tried the same with PG and VG soaked bandaids and they never welted up like the Nic patches. But since it wasnā€™t done by a professional, I donā€™t know what it means.

Iā€™m not recommending using this method as a way to tell about anyones own allergic issues, or even if it is an accurate way to tell. Iā€™d definitely say seek out a professionals help if itā€™s allergic troubles in nature, since they are so varied and individual. Also the flavors are extremely concentrated so it be wise to check wit a pro.

Newspaper INK on the other hand will keep me sneezing for 5 minutes after I put the paper down.

1 Like

@LILLNY Re-visiting this thread and was just curious about what the outcome, if any, was for your friend?

1 Like

@Freddie3. Yep, youā€™re right about it being a complex and varied issue. I was inrtigued by your reaction to nic patches, cos i had the same thing. Could be a reaction to the materials that the patch is made of or some inactive ingredient. They surely use some kind of solvent, (PG perhaps? :rofl:) orā€¦now this a real laughā€¦ I once thought Iā€™d developed an allergy to the wristband of my watch. so i took it off. A day or two later, the skin reaction was all over my body, plus I had alls orts of other alarming symptoms So I called my GP and she said "Are you still taking that medicine I prescribed you? Stop immediately! ) . Ohhhh. Silly me! Now , why didn;t think of that for myself ? Because the reaction was only evident under the writsband of my watch, so Iā€™d just carelessly assumed it was something to do with that, didnā€™t I? On further reflection, it finally occured to me that that wristbands trap sweat, and an awful lot of toxic chemicals are excreted through the sweat, arenā€™t they?

Iā€™ve never had one of those patch tests, but I imafgibe they would have tio test several different poterntial allergens simultaneously, along with a dummy patch, to rule out that effect,

Finally , i donā€™t know where youā€™re living, but wgere Iā€™m living (UK) getting professional help is much easier said than done (unless you can afford to pay for it, ofc) . The NHS doctors just don;t have the time or resources to investigate your case in detail, and , when you get a reactions to some foodstuff they ,will expect you to keep a food diary abd do elimination trials for yourself, which is really tough on the intellectually challenged amongst us. Heck, it;'s even tough on me, and I am not intellectually challenged , just prone to being daft on occasion :rofl:

1 Like

I had a similar reaction to patches and I narrowed it down to the glue (I get the same reaction to some bandaids)

3 Likes

Good call @jay210 and @woftam That sums it upā€¦ itā€™s really hard to say what it may be. I know ppl allergic to Latex (Rubber) gloves and Leather products. Straps, Steering wheel coverings. etc etc.

2 Likes