Anti Virus for laptops

i may take a couple classes after i get bored with diy lol

1 Like

says the person who know so much lmao

1 Like

On a side note do we know if we have any electricians here on ELR?

1 Like

So, like never then? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

as far as the classes that may be true lol but trust me ill go slow with this laptop i dont want to do this again for awhile

2 Likes

if you ever need a flooring question answered im here or a tile design for backsplash or shower let me know :wink:

2 Likes

If you care to find out

3 Likes

Created a thread and @tted the Eleectricians, if you @ them then they will come?

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I haven’t seem anyone of them around for a while. Maybe Lars can e-mail them for you lol

1 Like

i have a friend whose an electrician ill show him this i should see him on a job site this week if i dont ill shoot him a call , if you dont get your answer here

2 Likes

Thanks! Appreciated

1 Like

You are smart to get it protected, and yes, anything is better than nothing. Lot’s of options, many free, and some better ones are paid. I personally didn’t mind spending money on it because of the number of devices I had, I chose a multi copy license from Norton and have it deployed on all of mine with zero infections. I had previously been using AVG Free years ago, and had really good luck with that.

ALWAYS good to check out the tests to see what’s detecting what. I will advise you as if it were my maching fidalgo.

I build most of my rigs, so I could care less about system impact (but it can matter a little on slower machines), but I’m most concerned that it does what it’s supposed to do. Success is EVERYTHING IMO, with system load and other bells and wistles not matterin as much. If you get infected, it won’t matter. Look at the top section below…

1 Like

Separate point, and that is my TOTAL disgust for BLOATWARE.

I’m NOT a huge fan of much of anything that PC manufacturers, or resellers dump on new PC’s/Laptops. Annoys the hell out of me and strip every bit of it off once I lay hands on a new one for friends, co-workers, etc. Doesn’t mean it’s all bad, hehhe, but I know they get paid for installing it, which makes me delete it.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

So in layman terms for you:

SSD = SOLID STATE DRIVE What’s that really mean? Goes fast and can handle just about anything you can throw at it.

Now does size of hard drive matter. Depends on what you are saving. You can always get an external drive that connects via usb.

RAM = Random Access Memory. The higher you go the more things you can open up and do. If you are doing 3 things at a time, 6 GB (Gigabytes) is fine.

Graphically speaking. I3 is fine if you are not looking to do high graphical things. Like Grubby said if you are rendering or making images you want I5 or better.

Antiviral programs. You get what you pat for. If you get free stuff you might be susceptible to viruses. Not saying you will, but the potential is there.

Virus education. If you do not know the person or company do not click on the links. If you know the person and they send you something ask if the person if they meant to send you something. No the dead person in Nigeria us not going to send you 1 Billion dollars. If it is too goid to be true, it probably is a hoax. If you get a Web page that comes up and says you need to download this antiviral program now, shut your Web down immediately. Do not click on it. If you can’t power your computer down asap.

Anything else put in layman terms just ask.

3 Likes

Thank you that was my language lol , can i add more Ram

2 Likes

You can but if you are not a techy I would not reccomend that. Have someone that knows what they are doing install it for you. Also make sure that what you put in will work with your PC. Get help because there are so many types and you might get something worse.

4 Likes

Norton is crap. I’ve used AVG Free for years and have never had a problem

1 Like