Any one have the NFFO1 Mixer?

But…it arrived to the local distribution hub today, so chances are it will be here tomorrow. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I picked up a couple of rare earth stirring bars. They function really well in thicker mixes. They are a little pricey and sometimes take some time to arrive per my experience.

Hope you post some pics

2 Likes

I’ll bring it all here to this thread. And it will be a how’s-your-father overview, not an in depth review. Especially since I’ve yet to use any magnetic mixer and have no point of reference.

2 Likes

Wonder if it can create a funnel in heated and unheated vg

Ok, so I got it today. You’ve seen pix of the outside. Here’s ones I took today.

Adding a couple magnets to try and get better results…

These are the only photos I’ll post. So why did I have it apart? Well because it didn’t work worth a flip. Nothing even approaching the 1200 rpm it claims. So I just had
to find out what was causing the resistance. Hmph, never found out. Oh well, I’ll ask for a refund but doubt I’ll get it. Will keep this thread updated. Fact is, this thing is a cheaply made hunk of junk and I strongly discourage anyone from purchasing it at any price.

8 Likes

that sucks ass ( that its crap ) not your opinion lol , i was really hoping it worked well… sorry to hear it was a shitty deal for you

2 Likes

Yes it does. But I’m happy to give the warning to others though. I’m quite sure Nitecore will get a big dose of negative feedback on these things, which could result in the NFF02. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well that really really sux. Was hopping for something better

2 Likes

Just a guess but I suspect that the availability problem is because of it being a POS they know they will likely get returned. I’m sorry to hear this. I’m working on something but can not post anything until I am certain that I don’t have any bugs in it for people to contend with. It will be 100% DIY, easy, with off the shelf parts and zero hype.

After I started posting I found the specs. I think if you check the heating ability it will be as useless as the “motor.”

3 Likes

I’m going to go ahead and post a little but had planned on starting a thread comparing my use of mag stirrers and an overhead stirrer. Basically, the delay I’m having is all too familiar to everyone-I ordered parts claiming to be “US Stock” and have now been waiting for shipment from China. Grrrrrrrr.

Here’s my take and experience with mag stirrers; they work great for small quantities up to about 100 ml. Purchasing rare earth spin-bars can help but they are (1) pricey and (2) still are not going to work for say 500 ml or a liter. Regardless of the size or power of the motor, magnetic coupling is the function. Overcoming the _mass_of 500 ml of VG takes a hell of lot of magnetic force.

I’ve read a lot of sales literature, both old and new, and two recurrent words are used repeatedly: "test samples. " These devices were not designed or intended to mix large quantities. People are rightly disappointed, and I think most or many are, by claims that I don’t believe any mag stirrer will deliver unless huge magnets are used. Below is my hotplate/stirrer along with an overhead stirrer which I have been mentioning.

Direct drive instead of magnetic coupling. The motor is 1/80 Hp 1550 RPM with enough torque to stir/mix 5 gallons of water yet it is small and efficient.

However, overhead stirring has its own problem or for me it does. I do not want to stir in open air or an open container. While my home is certainly clean, it is not a clean room. To solve this I made a simple device made with a 1 Liter canning jar. The components are below:

The white "lid is made from UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) poly which is a machinable plastic most often called plastic millstock. It is .125 thick and allows the metal lid to lock down. It is approved for food usage and is in fact more chemically resistant than nearly all other plastics including Teflon.

The metal part is a stainless bearing housing I made on a metal lathe and is where I am having difficulty finding an affordable off the shelf product. However, I think I have that part worked out. IT uses 2 flange bearings which can be purchased nearly everywhere. Edit: I intend to use UHMW for this also.

And of course the paddle stirrer. I have a machine shop and and working it out where these can be made DIY. This particular one retails in the excess of $100.00 US. (Crazy) I intend (have) to use UHMW and a .250 stainless rod. A little time and a couple of bucks. Edit: I am experimenting with different types and sizes.

The main project is a high torque dc motor and speed control. Clearly, a cheap PWM will easily work. Finding the correct motor at a good price is another matter. On the slow boat from China so we’ll see.

I hope this helps and is my way of trying to give back to the community. (My recipes suck)

9 Likes

So, did they allow you to return it?

2 Likes

I’ve been buzzin away with my little Apera 601 for half of forever with a couple of rare earth magnets and for up to 120ml it’s doin great. No wiz-bang “features”. On/off and a speed pot. That’s it. It’s in back of me buzzing away on some raspberry cheesecake right now. Smells good!

3 Likes

Yeah 99% of the time I’m using my mag stirrers and they work just fine. Bring the VG temp up to about 105 degrees thins VG considerably which can be helpful. I add nic after stirring and cooling. I just thought that I would show the overhead options and benefits. I also thought this might be beneficial to people into making oils, lotions, soaps etc. There seems to be quite a few here on ELR into those things as well.

3 Likes

Absolutely! For bigger volumes I’m sure the overhead is the ticket. So far I’ve been doing fine with either 60 or 120 ml batches depending on how much I vape of the mix obviously. After reading what Ozo (if I remember correctly) wrote I’m in the camp of let the mixer bring the temp up and be happy. I also give my mixes a bath in the USC with no heat applied and I’ve been happy as a clam with my vapes.

2 Likes

Nope. I’ve not even discussed a return. Maybe if it was a $250 item I might, but for the $70 + shipping I paid, it’s not worth it to me for all the hassle and cost on my end to send it back to China.

Lesson learned. I’m going to tinker with it a bit to see if I can make any use out of it. If not, perhaps redesign something that makes more sense. Regardless, I stand by my advice to NOT purchase the NFF01 max stirrer. The extent to which this thing sucks is epic in proportion. If they were free they would still cost too much. Rather than leave it here, I want to give my pros/cons. Cons first…

CONS

• Unbalanced. This thing wobbles like the town drunk. Well, it’s not that bad, but it’s enough that it visibly shakes the container you’re using.

• Cheap, thin plastic construction of the body.

• Weak motor

• Not user friendly controls. The supplied owner manual is vague and assumes the reader knows things specific to the device such as modes of operation

PROS

• None that I’m aware of
10 Likes

Thanks for the heads you!
I was going to pull the trigger on this but decided to await further reviews.
Now I will look at getting a good magnetic stirrer with heat plate.
Has anyone any good recommendations?

1 Like

The older stuff found on ebay were made for professional use and had to pass some very stringent standards…especially when government funds were used. While there are several brand names, most were made by Henry Troemer and one or two other manufacturers. My hotplate stirrer is branded VWR and is built like a tank. My other is a Magna Stir (no hotplate). Both were mfg by Troemer In New Jersey.

I checked ebay and there are many right now and some at very good prices. No one is buying this stuff primarily because of the Holidays. For example/I purchased the overhead stirrer pictured for $12.60 + 10.05 shipping. I have bought other lab equipment at unbelievably cheap prices.

If you like send me a link to anything you find and I’ll be happy to give you my opinion. Look for University or government labeled equipment. While most are rightly leery of used equipment, I can only advise that the build quality is far beyond anything being produced unless they are in the several hundred dollar range. While I don’t want to go into my occupational background, I am knowledgeable about equipment such as these items-old and new.

4 Likes

Thank you @mrpipes much appreciated.
I’m in the UK though so the American market is out due to postage costs etc… But I’m sure there will be US equipment here in the UK on eBay.
Will have a look and post for opinions if I find anything.

2 Likes

Being in the UK you may be able to find Heidolph or other German lab equipment, This is generally very, very good equipment. Price may be an obstacle though. In any case, I equate using a Chinese hotplate with playing Russian roulette. I’m glad to advise if I can.

3 Likes