Any one have the NFFO1 Mixer?

I took this advice and bought one without heat, im not getting any temp increase due to friction so beware, i might have bought too good of one - https://stirrers.net/products/ms-s-circular-top-analog-magnetic-stirrer - it works well and is a pleaure to use ! Beware of the heated model it has bad reviews

3 Likes

yeah older models “friction” may be because of the old HD motor in an enclosed box. not in the liquid. Thanks for the heads up

2 Likes

You may eant to try increasing the size of the spin bar i use the longest one i can get away with and i use a smooth bar, thoery is a smooth bar has less resistamce and will spin easier in thick liquids

2 Likes

When im too lazy to do a water bath i just use a hair dryer to warm it up a little to 85 - 90 degrees, and thats only when theres high alcohol content in the mix and i need to aerate it with a strong vortex to drive the alcohol out

2 Likes

What makes a magnetic stirrer strong? I mean strong enough to mix 70/30 250ml. What is the max. upm it should have?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that. In my feeble mind I can’t imagine it being able to spin faster though. Larger bar = more resistance. I’ll have to order some and get back to you which I’ll do.

2 Likes

@SthrnMixer
You do need an assortment of stir bars…but,

You also need a lab-quality beaker (or flask) with a flat bottom,
that is made for mag-mixing.
I have a couple of measuring glasses like in your pics, and they are ‘blah’ for magnetics.

I do stir in some mason jars occasionally, but I have some very high-end mag-stirrers
that I use for that, from my lab days.

Before you give up, please try a good beaker. The description will tell you about the bottom,
[if it is flat for stirring] whether you buy it on Amazon, ebay, or lab supply, etc.

Bomex, Karcher, SEOH, are good brands, but all have different grades.

If you need help just holler, you have my phone number.

God bless you and family. Merry Christmas.

4 Likes

i agree with you bro , im half mexican ( my mom is full blooded ) but born in USA , and i eat a lot of mexican and mexican type food and there is no comparison not even the tortillas , we also eat all the other type of foods and still nothing store bought compares to home cooked , unless the cook cant cook is the only time i dont even think food at restaraunts could compare to home cooked

2 Likes

Preach brother! It’s sad, I walk through the grocery store and watch these people that you can tell from their cart no one taught them how to cook, nothing but boxes and can in the cart, it costs more to eat that way and you can tell they feel horrible, you know around here they got rid of home Econ, so now if they grew up eating out of boxes they don’t even have a chance to know that’s not where food comes from!

3 Likes

Made sourdough artisan last night, English muffins for breakfast, will have homemade sauerkraut and spicy sausage for lunch.
Except for corn tortillas [Maseca] , I only eat/make sourdough breads anymore, even sourdough tortillas.

Had Hawaiian chicken/soughdough tortillas/stir-fry vegetables Sunday…will have Green Chile [Hatch] Venison Stew/sourdough bread/roasted vegetables tonight. Small bean sprout/broccoli sprout salad w/homemade kefir curd/fermented catsup/sweet relish dressing

@fidalgo_vapes

5 Likes

Ok you had me at sourdough tortillas! Tell me more!

3 Likes

haha, I thought you were a guy… :sweat_smile:
Any luck with figuring out your mixer ?

1 Like

now i am officially starving

2 Likes

I was ready to try to build my own mag mixer, but after this discussion, I think I’ll try to build an overhead mixer instead.

I found a really nice air purifier with an adjustable speed fan and thought about tearing it down to make the mag mixer (adjustable speeds!), but now I’m just gonna use it as is.

1 Like

what do you think about the beakers /flask from nicotine river

1 Like

I was thinking about those myself , but also saw these on amazon

Edit : and

3 Likes

Those are the beakers we have! They’ve worked very well for us!!!

2 Likes

Even think the glass beakers and flasks will come in handy before the mixer.

Right now got the plastic ones. They alright but you know how plastic is

2 Likes

I moved here from Austin TX and unless you have had Abuela in the back pressin’ out the Masa you haven’t had a tortilla…

1 Like

I posted last year about getting some beakers for cheap before Halloween from the Craft Store. They were for spooky Decor, and while they were from a Lab Glass company, I think they were “seconds” …and the Quality Control fail was the bottoms weren’t perfectly flat. …sucked at mag mixing

Since then I have acquired some Pyrex… which are visually perfectly smooth and flat