Any substitute for vanilla shisha?

I’ve been buying from Chef’s for almost 2 years now. I live in the Middle East and the first time I ordered I used the untracking option and the package disappeared once it reached here. Ever since I pay the extra $8 and I’ve received every package and I order about every 6 weeks or so. I’ve never had any problems with them either.

5 Likes

True that. I break up my orders at Chef’s or more often make the second order from another vendor (which i probably wouldn’t otherwise) and pick also some flavors not available at Chef’s. Note that any discount counts (if you get 25% discount, then you can make an order £53 and still get cheap shipping)

3 Likes

Actually I already broke up my order… Chefs and Vapable already came in, still waiting on a load from Nicotine River. Just didn’t think that I should’ve broken it up in 2 separate Chefs orders. I was running out of stuff and looking out for some new flavors for a while so I ordered a whole bunch at once.

Normally the shipping costs become less / item if you increase the order… oh well, I know for next time now (which won’t be any time soon).

I’m more leaning towards Vapable these days though. Not that Chefs is bad (and Chefs still has more choice), but service and prices is just that little bit better, shipping is free above £50 within EU and even brand flavors are cheaper. Rebottled FA costs £1.49 / 10ml @ vapable, £2.00 at Chefs.

4 Likes

I totally agree with this statement, and even beyond whatever quantity you might use (or not), if it works, and tastes great, can you put a price on that ?

5 Likes

Vapable… was just thinking to order from them next time for the same reasons. Prices are ridiculously cheap and i will be able to buy all those not-so-very needed flavors that i have on my list for a long time + probably try some new brands. Do they have any other re-bottled brands beside FA?

4 Likes

I’m not sure, but even on the brand names they’re the cheapest I could find.
You can always contact them by phone or email and ask, they’re very friendly and helpful.

3 Likes

In my country (Norway) we have this tax, where anything under 35£ (including shipping) is not eligible for taxation. So I split my order in 30£ bulks, cause if by any chance you are 1 penny above this sum, they charge you 20£ to open and look at your parcel, then add another 25% tax on top of that. The tax alone aint that bad, but the “hey lets open this and charge the bastard 20£ for our work” is just blatantly stupid.

I’m guessing some at chefs are scratching their head when they get like 10 orders now now and then… but hey, I’ll rather pay the low end shipping 10 times than risk it. Getting to the point where I filter out aromas never being used and ordering bigger bottles of regular ones.

8 Likes

Wow @Mausberg I have never shipped to or from Norway, but that is a HECK of a penalty. Thank you for enlightening me on this.

3 Likes

Do you by any chance run a store/website of some sort?

Yeah it’s nuts, it used to be 20£ plus shipping, they changed it like 3 years ago to be 35£ but with shipping included in that amount (hello 45$+ fedex / dhl shipment). The hillarious part is that the one doing the opening of the parcels dont want that job in the first place, it’s apparantly waaay to much to go through, cause people do it like I do, and juggle the pricing on what you can import. With that said, we earn good money up in the cold north, then again I dont feel it justifies almost a doubling. For it to be worth it you have to place a huge order and just take the 25% on everything, then I can see the 20£ inspection fee as “fair”. In many cases I know people ask the online stores to mark the shipments as gifts etc, or even change the prices on the cargolist thingyschmingy.

4 Likes

@Mausberg Not “Officially” no.

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

The magic :8ball: says I’m missing something here. :innocent:

3 Likes

I dont use vanilla shisha, i get a pretty nasty chemical taste from it. And theres a lot of recipes that call for it. I usually sub with mf vanilla(my favorite) or holy vanilla or vanilla cream extra. My question is, since ive never tasted what you all tasted from van shisha, what other vanilla out there would you say most closely resembles it? Or what family of vanillas? Id like to accurately sub for it as close as possible and there seems to a couple of different opinions on it.

3 Likes

Unless you’ve tried all vanillas, it’s really difficult to say. Just like strawberries, most vanillas are vastly different and hard to substitute 1:1. It’s like someone asking how to substitute Shisha Strawberry… it’s so unique.

Shisha Vanilla is a subtle but present vanilla with creamy part. The vanilla isn’t as dark as Holy Vanilla (I can’t speak for MF) nor as sweet and it’s much creamier too. The cream is nothing like vanilla swirl, V(B)IC or bavarian cream but more like a vienna cream.
You can always swap vanilla’s with others as you like. The result may not be exactly the same as the creator intended, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. As long as you enjoy a recipe, that’s all you need to think about. If a substitution doesn’t work, try a different substitution and tinker a bit until you find something you like.

5 Likes

Okay, so I got too impatient to wait … and decided on IW Vanilla Shisha. I don’t know why I have SO MANY French Vanillas, but the deal with French Vanilla is that it’s supposed to be more “custardy” than regular vanilla, and that didn’t seem the best choice. The Tahiti flavors would have extra notes beyond a simple vanilla. Vanilla Swirl seemed it might be too light, not quite vanilla-y enough, and while the VBICs were tempting since this is sort of a summer mix that might be good with an “ice cream float” sort of thing going on, I figured that was better to save as a variation after getting the main recipe down first. Descriptions of the Vanilla Shisha were along the lines of “sweet” and “bright,” which sounds pretty close. The regular IW vanilla seems less popular, so I went for the shisha.

I’d still like to hear anyone’s thoughts about this!

3 Likes

Maybe you should try DIYFS Holy Vanilla… from your description, I think that would be a great choice for you.
To me it’s a great and versatile vanilla without the creamy notes that restrict the use of Shisha a bit.

4 Likes

Unfortunately holy vanilla is not sweet and bright. It’s a darker “spicier” vanilla.

If you just want something like you would use in regular baking (vanilla extract) that’s bright enough but not very creamy, but leans more towards the vanilla found in most US stores including ice creams, give (FA) Madagascar Vanilla (v. Classic) a try.

If you wanted it “creamier” without eggy, or custard notes in general, but still bright and what not, there are specific light ice cream/gelato/yogurt available that can do that.

I still think as stated above so, that the wonder flavours vanilla 's a great sub and more “similar” to shisha vanilla than other ones but just like wild melon by flavorah, SV is a unique flavor and very difficult to find a replacement or 1:1 sub.

5 Likes

@eStorm Yeppers me also still looking for that vanilla only flavor without any extra fluffy mouth feel or cream.

One of these looks right. I love vanilla maybe both! ty

4 Likes

Also try NicVape Vanilla, im convinced it is basically just vanillin. It is bright light vanilla no floral component and no cream/fluff.

3 Likes

Where in the middle east?

I also live in the middle east, use only untracked from Chefs, and never lost a parcel

2 Likes

@estorm’s right, it’s not a bright vanilla, but @Holly_North it is much richer, deeper, and fuller, so it could meet some of your needs.

Holy Vanilla (DIYFS) 8% (4-29-18) – Holy Vanilla ehhh ?? Well let’s see here. What IS in this delicious vanilla ? This is a very complex vanilla to say the least. Not just the typical light airy vanilla, or the deep dark vanilla, but a very good, full blending. It is very full and rich @ 8%, has a buttery/butterscotchy’ness to it. On the second tester tank already, and can’t put it down. Starting to see what all the hype is about. Every once in a blue moon, I almost got a whiff of a wintergreen, but who knows where that came from. If you want a rich, full vanilla, with a nice buttery, butterscotch-ish bonus, you cannot go wrong with this one. I get some off notes from some of CAP’s vanillas, but not this one. Won’t throw my others out, but I can see this one getting used a lot. No choice, but to go 10/10 on this one also.

5 Likes