Authentic tasting (diet) cola base

Hi guys,

I’ve made an attempt at a rum and coke here:

It’s not bad, but it’s still not quite right. The cola, in particular, just tastes like that shitty SodaStream syrup-based cola…

It may be that I’m a diet coke drinker, but this is still coming across as a bit too saccharine for my palette.

I’ve tried Bitter Wizard (FA) and MTS Vape Wizard (FA) which might be overcooking things, but I think does get it closer to the real thing compared to my first attempt which had neither.

Has anyone had any joy making a descent cola base?

Cheers

Brad

2 Likes

imho i think that you have overdone with Bitter and MTS Vape Wizard… as far i know these ones are made to be used like a few drops in 10ml or something… tbh i am not really very familiar with those two additives , i didn’t ever felt that i need them…

imho in this recipe i would skip the mts… it supposed to cut the very acid/sour notes of the flavors… while rum and cola is all about them… on the other hand bitter is supposed to cut the sweet notes… not sure how those two combine in this recipe and in these percentages… and as i said that’s my just my humble opinion…

the other thing is that i am sure that you need to add some depth in flavor… while coke is supposed to be sweet… i guess Super Sweet (CAP) at a percentage like 0,75% could add some depth, sweet, and tart at the same time and fits in the profile… also you could possibly boost the coke profile with Cola syrup (TPA) with a small percentage by it… and add a tiny bit of Key Lime (TPA) or Lime (INW) inside or Juicy Lemon (CAP)

these are just some thoughts in theory…but this is what i would do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Initially I used just the Cola Soda (TPA) and it was even worse. So that why i added the bitterness and the MTS… It is definitely better as a result, but still not quite there…

I think I’m gonna have to start from the ground up on this one… so I was just wondering if anyone has a good base layer recipe for just the “cola” part…

cheers

Brad

3 Likes

right now i remembered… check this :stuck_out_tongue:

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/t-FlavorWorkshopPartI.aspx

it might help you in a long run :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thnx @Amorphia that’s a very useful link!

3 Likes

well i had read that like a year ago etc… i am kinda amazed that i was able to remember it :slight_smile: i hope the OP finds it useful as you sir :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In my opinion every Cola mix should have Caramel of some sort. I use FA Caramel with FA Cola, and top it off with Marshmallow.

3 Likes

all good tips guys!! thanks.

brad

2 Likes

AlfredPudding’s masterpiece (007Cola) is pretty spot on.

2 Likes