Bad Juice !?

hi everyone …
i’m working on my recipe the total flavor is 15% at full VG (15/85) about 2-3 weeks now
at the third week i get the exact smell and the exact taste when i drop on my finger that i’m going for
but…! when i’m vaping it its tasteless …
why?? more steeping? ???
if is not good …no i’m not drinking it…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Can you share the recipe?

3 Likes

Also what are you testing it on? RDA, RTA, RDTA?

1 Like

I would suggest you up your overall flavor %. But without the recipe it’s hard to tell. Gotta remember that tasting it directly is going to be much stronger than vaping, and flavors tend to change a little when you vape em

1 Like

Caramel (Original) (TPA) 4.25
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA) 3.50
Sweetener (Sucralose) (TPA) 0.50
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 2.00
Vanilla Pudding (Flavorah) 4.00
Vanilla Swirl (TPA) 0.75

vape with hadaly and wasp rda…

3 Likes

I would most definitely give that a full month to 6 weeks. Creams and custards can be super flat for a while and that’s loaded with them.

13 Likes

thanks …

1 Like

Nice recipe, I was/am working on something similar. Although i would try steeping a bit longer i doubt that there will be a huge difference in terms of strength of the flavor. It will probably be more… let’s say rounded, with more nuances of the creams and vanillas.
But with the Caramels (not this particular one) I found that they give you a nice idea of caramel but I yet have to find a really strong one. But then again, I’ve only tried a few so far.
I’ve used the “cream base” of strawberry fog without the strawberry as a starting point which was quite nice and added different percentages of caramels without really getting anywhere near the intensity I’m looking for.
I like the approach with the different vanillas because it supports my idea that you can not have too many vanillas.

3 Likes

thanks… if in six weeks vapes like it tastes … i have found my ADV!!!

1 Like

as other people have said just give it a little time iv found caramels take ages to steep problem being when it’s perfect I realise I’ve only made enough to last me a week or 2 then I’ve got another long wait for the next batch

1 Like

Not sure what you are looking for. I try (when possible) to accent the primary flavor/taste and if need be, go for a secondary flavor/taste. Any additional pleasant tastes are always welcome. Your recipe appears to have variations of vanilla based creams as the over riding primaries to the secondary Caramel.
If your goal is to accent and promote the caramel taste, might rethink a newer balance.
My taste buds do not taste “Caramel (Original) (TPA) 4.25” in any of my early attempts to work with this flavor.
Re: Need help with a good ry4 d recipe - #39 by Brotherbob
I found if I mixed caramel with RY4 (forget the %'s, your tastes may be sharper than mine) I achieved the caramel my taste buds desired.

3 Likes

Go go TPA website and check if your flavors already contain ethyl maltol or maltol. You’re already adding a bit with your sweetener so it can be that you should lower some % to get more flavor. Too much of that sweetener will mute your flavor.

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx?cas=4940-11-8

3 Likes

thanks for the link it would be very useful …
the 4 tpa’s its like( >=1 %) so 0.5% sweetener i think is not the problem…

I’ll often dilute a experimental mix by 50% and try it, sometimes it completely alters the flavors, not just the potency.

I’m a long way from being good at DIY, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

3 Likes

It’s up to you, but mixing liquids and getting to that perfect combination is often a process of trial and error. As long as you don’t try things and assume something’s not the problem, you’ll just keep guessing.

It’s quite easy to just dilute a little bit and see if it helps any.

The other thing I could say is that your Flavorah at 4% is on the high side. I usually use it effectively at 2% and I’ve read in notes and reviews that 2-3% is the sweet spot.
I have no clue what ingredients they use but I bet you can find Vanillin in there (as well as in some of your TFA flavors) and that can have a similar muting effect on your flavors.
If I were you, I’d really just try to use less flavoring % by adding some VG/PG and see where it takes you. It’s not a big effort or cost to try.

2 Likes

…if after 6 weeks i have the same result then i will try something else maybe dilute it … i didn’t say that i know the problem i just say sweetener “i think” is not the problem… thanks for your answers but i cant understand why smell and taste is perfect and when i vape is “cardboard” taste…will see…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If it’s not there by week 4, I wouldn’t have any more patience with it. It"s not like your ingredients require a 6 week steep, 4 should be plenty.

The last thing I’d just want to add, is that I mainly use cap super sweet to add additional sweetness unless I’m specifically looking for some of EM’s effects. Because a lot of flavors already contain Maltol, EM, Vanillin and other muting agents, it’s just one less factor to take into consideration while mixing.

Over-flavoring is also something you should watch out for. For example, I’ve recently upped the % of FA Orange in a recipe where I really wanted to let the orange stand out. The previous mix was at 2% and the result was that the Orange went even more in the background. I can still taste it clearly when I ingest it but barely any if I inhale.

It’s a bit weird that way but it’s just how it goes and part of the learning curve. It’s also the reason why it can take a long time to create and perfect a recipe from scratch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, my cream dream pipe takes 2 1/2 months to fully mature.

2 Likes