Battery rewraps

Maybe next time get the sticky ones, takes away all doubt haha

1 Like

I tried out some clear wraps for the first time last week. Very happy with the result:

7 Likes

that is sweet I really should try rewrapping im clumsy and have killed enough by nicking the wrapā€¦ looks great too

1 Like

I bought the correct sleeves and a small heat gun I re wrap mine itā€™s soooooooooo
easy and literally only take second to do it and do it right

4 Likes

I must be the laziest person hereā€¦ I purchased battery wraps a year or so ago (clear and green), and canā€™t even find them now ā€¦ never did try using them lol

3 Likes

Itā€™s really easy to do

Just received my wraps from China: 2m pvc tubing for ā‚¬0.58 (or ā‚¬0.02 per wrap). Agreed, I had to wait a little bit but I didnā€™t have anything urgent to fix.

First time I (double) wrapped a battery, didnā€™t really need any guide, except for the correct length to cut off the wrap (71 to 72mm). Just gently blowing the hot air over the sleeve and everything shrinks to a perfect fit. Nothing to it.

The only thing that worried me a bit was the heat from the dryer. Since I donā€™t have much hair anymore for quite some time, I didnā€™t remember how hot a dryer can blow :open_mouth:
Hasnā€™t anyone ever caused a thermal runaway while trying to rewrap a battery?

My heat gun can blow hotter than a hair dryer and if you just wave it around so you do not have a consistent hot spot you should be fine and not at risk of a thermal run away. If you are worried, do it in 3ā€™rds instead of all at once, half and half and then the finish, with breaks in between.

3 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s kinda what I did, half and half and waving the air instead of one steady stream. I still burned half of my fingers though :smiley:
Anyway, 2c to repair a fairly new Ā£6 battery (actually 6c for Ā£18 worth of batteries) is not a bad investment.

2 Likes

I got a bunch because its handy especially if they get a nic in the wrap.

Edit: If you burn your fingers, use that as a guide to how hot you should let it get.

2 Likes

You will melt the wrap before u do any damage to the battery and i hold the battery bare handed soā€¦ i usually work out the 2 seams first moving slowly along it and then do each end by holding the battery at a 45 degree to the direction of the air flow. this pushes/folds the extra over the end. Gl to u

3 Likes

Was prob mentioned above in this older thread somewhere but replace the insulator while u are at it. That small distance between pos cap and housing is easy to short out and can easily be done just by sticking a damaged one into your charger. They sell ones that are self sticky and makes it alot easier.

3 Likes

Have they improved the quality of the insulators that is sold online or is it still hit and miss with them? I still make my own if they are damaged, old business cards work best I found.

3 Likes

not sure what u mean but imr //www.imrbatteries.com/18650-flat-top-battery-terminal-insulators-20pcs-matte-black/ carries them and they look fine. I got splurged the $1.22 at FT when i got the wraps https://www.fasttech.com/p/3748000

3 Likes

Last time I looked was about 2 years ago, looks like they have gotten better, Fast Tech didnā€™t have alot then and they looked like they were too thin. :grinning: Thank you for the link.

3 Likes

Ordered some Insulators from FT thanks for the tip @worm1

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve posted this before, but I figure Iā€™ll add it here.

These are my typical wrap jobs. I am sort of particular about keeping track of my cells. I use translucent wraps in various colors, and a .5" x 2.5" plain paper label. I get these translucent wraps from illumn. Until recently Fasttech only had clear and blue, but they recently added yellow, purple, and green transucents. Iā€™ve got them on order, will share when I get some cells wrapped with them.

8 Likes

I love that, thatā€™s how it should be.

1 Like

Those look really nice @JMak642! We use the same wrappers!

Got the new ones from Fasttech in today. Tried the green first, just for grins.

3 Likes