Battery rewraps

And the purple, pic doesn’t really work well with my light.

4 Likes

The yellow and blue look pretty special

5 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t feel like doing the yellow tonight.

2 Likes

I’ll share what a small nick in a wrap can do. It is so much safer and cheaper to re-wrap them then have to buy a new battery and rda.

3 Likes

Am guessing you had it in a metal chassis tube mech?

If so, do you remember what power you were pushing through when it finally arced?

2 Likes

I think they are a better quality now for the most part. I don’t seem to get as many splits in the seams as when I first started. I know that is mostly due to technique through experience but I also remember having about a 50% success rate from a couple of vendors in the past. Now I use the ones from Illumn.com and the ones from Fastech.

3 Likes

Yes, a copper mech tube w/ tight i.d… It was likely .23 and when it shorted and fired until the battery fully depleted vtc5a, melting anything not metal. It could have been worse if the build was lower then the battery could take at its cdr. When I am away from a mech for more then a few minutes, I now loosen all my batt caps so the atty pin doesnt contact and with a self adjusting tube i would take it out completely. I still have and love the mod, rda’s copper barrel and top cap are used on a diff base but the battery cant be read/revived by my charger.

1 Like

Stop getting battery nicks by removing the common cause …the spring loaded contacts on your charger. The factory stamping process leaves a sharp bur on the top inner corner of that foot.

Sand it smooth with something handy. Ladies? Use an old nail file. Gents? Use a scrap of sandpaper (don’t use your wife’s old nail file :wink: ). I use a ceramic knife sharpener. You’re just trying to take off that sharp upper/inner ledge of the slidey charger metal contact. Unplug First! A dremel tool would make quick work of this task but might be a bit overkill. You just want to remove the slight burr (sharp!) on the veeery edge, but not grind off any rust resistant nickel finish.

3 Likes

Excellent tip thanks for sharing.

Now that just takes all the fun out of it.

I have used them for so many things (cleaning the ignition point on my tractor) that my wife just gave up and buys them in bulk now.

2 Likes