Best Juice Testing Practices

This could be an interesting exercise, tasting notes pre and post allergy meds.

I miss it from time to time but you are welcome to it, hehe. I just went to pure caffeine, i order a pound of raw product and make my own capsules.

2 Likes

Tobaccos pair beautifully with coffee! Makes sense!

3 Likes

Allergy meds are horrible for vaping. At least for me. It really has a potential to screw things up.

1 Like

Lmao!

I’ve considered that as an alternative so I could stop buying teeth whitening kits… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You’re supposed to swallow them, not vape them… :wink:

5 Likes

Interesting, ill have to come up with some sort of test for this but ill wait until after a real good frost to make sure the ragweed pollen has died down. Otherwise i wake up with a stuffy nose everyday. This might have something to do with why my spring/summer vapes taste so different in the winter as i dont require as much allergy meds during the winter months.

Link :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s past midnight here and a hard vaping day waiting for me… I have to rest my tongue (from vaping)
:rofl:

4 Likes

Pretty much agree. I try to look at test in three stages if warranted.

1. Initial: Two or three tastes --write first impressions. First day.
  2. Normal vape time: Over a vape session. If it gets this far to the end, it’s in the good category. Second day.
  3. Rewick and reintroduce and see if it improves or falls short from first impressions. Days later. Here. I’m looking if it has feet.
    Most flavor/mix tests don’t advance past #1.
    As to testing several variations of vanilla, I might compare sets of two against each other (one each day).Two newly cleaned RDA’s with new wicks. I’m looking for the most pleasing of the two as I perceive. Eventually, the winner of one set is paired with the winner of another set until the best is found (can be multiple/variations of bests).
3 Likes

At the risk of incensing some, I’ll add my 2¢ on it (though I have a lot more of what you posted to read, if I don’t do it now, chances are strong I’ll forget my thoughts).

This is reason #1 why I don’t believe that there is such a thing that some people call shake and vape. :flushed: There. I said it. The reason being is (unless you’re using strictly MF, or an equal) you’re going to have alcohol (at the very least) coloring whatever flavor you denote/detect. Second, you’re going to have “flavor hotspots”, because there’s ZERO chance in hell of whatever flavor homogenizing with the VG.

So, as a result of the above, it’s my opinion that the only thing that begins to qualify as shake and vape, would have have to at least have the alcohol factor removed. And this will further vary dependant upon how much alcohol was in the original choice flavor, as well as brand. Never mind whether it’s done via heat bath “burn off”, leaving the cap off the mix (and for how long), venting the original bottle of flavor (prior to mixing, but to me that’s just crazy talk, and a risk I’m not willing to take.), etc.

What I call a shake and vape, would typically take at least 24-48hrs and that’s being very generous. More like 4-5 days in my opinion. But I don’t breathe mixes (tried it early on by both necessity and curiosity, didn’t like it over the long run). Some flavors are more volatile than others, and can evaporate with the alcohol if left to breathe.

I understand the necessity early in, but once you get further along, the need is negated. Though I have no doubt that there are some who appreciate the throat hit that the alcohol imparts, I’m not one of them! So, there’s that to factor in too! :wink:

/back to reading the rest of the post!

2 Likes

Very much appreciate your sharing your thoughts! Seems like you two covered some great aspects! :thumbsup:

Totally agree with the contrasting mixes idea!
Had to learn that the hard way as well!

Great post brother!

2 Likes

Oops! Sorry!
Though I think my previous reply still applies, given I was trying to address some of the reasons for variances in perceptions!

Butterscotch works nicely too :wink: :grin:

3 Likes

always in morning after waking up before even drinking coffee :wink:

1 Like

Oh yeah you know it!

2 Likes

Cocoa don’t forget the cocoa. :rofl:
And chocolate of course…

1 Like

Well, This has all been interesting and I definitely agree with you @SthrnMixer. I have noticed The flavors change throughout the day. I think testing in the morning before starting to vape is a great suggestion.

I usually switch juices every couple days depending on how much I vape. I also use a rotation system while vaping and switch the flavor of the juice I’m using each time I re-fill my tank or dripper. This allows me to get a constant change of flavor each time I re-fill.

I do use an anti-histamine each morning and never thought about that causing a problem but I will definitely be aware of this. I’ll have to wait until after the pollen season is over as my allergies really bother me during the summer months.

I don’t drink coffee but do drink a lot of tea. I use several different flavors of tea but mostly use Yorkshire black tea. I also use a couple different Chai tea’s as I find I like the change in flavors.

Since I quit smoking my sense of smell has improved dramatically. That’s a good and bad thing depending on what the smell is. I quit smoking over four years ago and have noticed my ability to taste as well as smell has improved dramatically over time.

Drinking lots of water has it’s benefits as well. I use to think because I drank a lot of coffee I was getting enough water but since I quit drinking coffee and switched to tea I now know that was wrong. Drinking just plan water is a great way to cleanse the pallet as well as keeping you hydrated. I strongly recommend doing that before tasting anything as this will add to your ability to taste. That’s why restaurants serve water with a meal. It cleans the pallet as your eating and allows your taste buds to refresh. Of course some foods are better not to taste. It all depends on how good the cook is.

1 Like

I’ll add to that that sparkling water/seltzer/club soda works wonders for cleansing my pallet, something about the carbonation I’m guessing. Kinda scrubs your tongue clean… Lol
Lemon flavored sparkling water works even better for me, unless I’m vaping something with lemon in it or something that is really bright and crisp tasting in which case the lemon in the drink blocks out the tartness of the vape.

2 Likes