Best RTA in your rotation?

There’s a couple of different versions of the Mutank out there-I think there’s three if my memory serves. One is packaged as a sub-ohm with an RBA deck available, one has the three-post deck and the third has the Velocity deck(That’s the one I’ve got) The flavor is decent-it’s not the most flavorful RTA I own, but not the worst by a long shot. I’m currently running mine with dual 28 gauge kanthal twisted-spaced coils and it’s kicking some tasty plumage. The way the wicking works in this tank really lends itself to higher power builds. I’m running mine between 45 and 65 watts and I know it will go a bit higher than that if I wanted but I’m not a fan of “hot” vapes. With the way this tank wicks, dry hits are almost unheard of. All in all, not a bad RTA!

1 Like

Thats what makes it worth having right there! The first few times I built and wicked the Griffin 25 Mini were nightmarish…it was either wicking so good it leaked…or it would get so dry the cotton burnt in half. Every time I put a fresh build in that thing I dread it cause I know it’s going to take me 30 mins to mess with the cotton and get it right. But I can wick the Merlin mini in about 10 seconds and it works perfect every time. I wish manufacturers would really focus in on wicking and make it an easier process

I’ve found that doing a modified version of the Scottish Roll technique really cuts down on the dry hit problem with most of my RTA’s. I’ve been using it in my Billow V2, V2.5 and Zephyrus with some great results. No dry hits, minimal to no leaking(Most of the “leaks” are most likely recondensed vapor that is dribbling out of the airflow) I just peel a sheet from a pad, stretch it out against the grain of the pad, cut the stretched pad in half and roll that. I’ve found that it’s plenty of cotton to wick two coils of a diameter of about 3 mm. If I’m wicking a smaller diameter, then I cut a little less than half the sheet. It gives me plenty of wicking to do both coils, which means that both wicks will be of equal density and will wick the same.

1 Like

I do the same thing. Did’nt know it was called a “scotish roll”. Works well tho, the same amount of cotton or less takes up more space and wicks faster. I bought some cheap ass cotton online once and had to come up with something to make it big enough to fill a coil, now I always do it. Good tip all “tankers” should know.

1 Like

If you look for video tutorials on Scottish Roll, they use SO MUCH COTTON. How they don’t wind up sucking down Satan Farts(AKA dry hits) every other pull is just beyond my ken. Everyone has a technique that they find works well for them, sometimes it works for another and sometimes not so much. One of the many tweaks in finding that perfect vape, I guess.

1 Like

The roll works better for RDAs in my opinion. I normally use an entire pad for a Scottish roll. Half for each side. In the Goon RDA I can get between 20-30 drops with that style. Holds a ton of juice and no popping or spit back.

For my RTAs I use a slightly altered style Scottish roll. Less cotton but I still stretch it out quite a bit.

3 Likes

had to re read the thread to make sure i havent already said this

cthulhu v3.

good luck finding one.

1 Like