Bourbon Help

I’m trying to make the bourbon pop more in a recipe. I’ve got two bourbon flavors Kentucky Bourbon and RF Aged Bourbon cream. Any ideas? I’ve made about 6 different variations but the bourbon is still not coming through as much as I want. Sharing the recipe here so maybe someone can help me figure out where I’m going wrong? It’s got great flavor just not enough boozy which is obviously what I want LOL

toc%20bailey%20milkshake

2 Likes

Was thinking maybe something like this?

2 Likes

Just a thought that came to mind, but a tiny little bit red apple (maybe Fuji Apple FA) might help the bourbon pop a bit.

3 Likes

The wrong flavors. None of them has a actual “booze” note to them, that is what I assume you’re saying with not boozy enough?

VT bourbon does have that alcohol note. Pair it with your TPA Kentucky Bourbon and you’re most likely closer to “boozy”

Sugar Daddy does mute apparently at the higher percentage mark, I base that on reviews not on actual testing, if it’s true that might also be killing your boozier high notes. Maybe lower that a tad, same for your creams and see if you get a better result.

5 Likes

Nothing to add help-wise but that looks like the start of a great recipe!!

5 Likes

Bourbon’s distinct flavor comes from being aged in charred oak barrels. So my first thought if you’re missing that true bourbon flavor would be to add in some oak.

According to some quick google-fu…

Bourbon casks, made of white American oak, impart vanilla, cherry, and spice notes.

So one or more of those flavors might push the recipe in the right direction. Liquid Amber might help add to the boozy profile as well.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for the ideas! I will try to pick up some of those flavors. I have the Fuji Apple and not the VT Bourbon or Oak so I’ll start there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My favorites are aways fruit and bourbon flavors.

BRND FLAVOR %/100
NR Nic Select 3
NR VG 80
CAP SWEET STRAWBERRY 2.5
TFA STRAWBERRY RIPE 2
PUR BOYSENBERRY PRESERVE 1.5
PUR BOYSENBERRY 1
PUR SOUR RASPBERRY CANDY 2.
PUR FIZZY STRAWBERRY 3
TFA KENTUCKY BOURBON 4.5
TFA SOUR 0.5
**Bourbon and Berry

I vapable SNV but better if it steeps a week or 10 days

4 Likes

adding TFA sour makes it explode with flavor

3 Likes

Have you considered using a small (1 litre) French Oak cask ? Your recipe sounds yummy and this is what I’d do for a better boozy flavor: Fill the cask with bourbon (or half fill and turn each day). You might only need a few days for the bourbon to penetrate the cask. I’d probably shoot for a week. After removing the liquor you’ll have a better bourbon for your money! Then use the cask to steep your recipe in. I used my cask to steep Lord Vapor’s “Drunken Custard” in and it turned out great. And that was without priming it with bourbon first.

4 Likes

@authormichellehughes I also just remembered that he used Whiskey (FA) in his recipe and that was pretty boozy tasting.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll pick some up!

2 Likes