Building coils for flavour

Hi my fellow ELR freinds

Im a bit confused on how to build my coils to get the best flavour from them
I have many rdas rbta sub tanks and all with great reviews for flavours
Its not about what rda or tank to use as im ok on that department
Its to do with the coils …

I have noticed many people wrapping coils tight using clapton or twisted mess and
many are using the same wire with gaps
Thats more my question

Is it more better to wrap coils tight for flavour
Or
Wrap coils with a gap

Ive always wrapped my coils tight using clapton single or fused

Common sense tells me having gaps might enhance the vaper better and the cotton should wick quicker and last longer
Instead of
Tight coils and tasting the metal more

Any thoughts suggestions or if anyone knows would be appreciated
I guess i might have to do a test myself when i get the time
I work very late hours on a project i just started as you can see its 07.00 and im just posting this resting in bed before i cath some sleep so time is not on my side, any input would be great :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth I’ve always found that spaced coils give off more of everything, flavour and vapour.
They don’t have to be spaced that far apart, just not contact.
I think the key is just try different builds and eventually you will find your sweet spot.

3 Likes

In my limited experience, spacing has more to do with wire type (think SS) than with the coil type.
If you tried to make your SS coils touch (by squeezing) like folks do with Kanthal, then it’s easier to end up with impedance and arcing issues (across the coil surface) that some mods are more sensitive to. I don’t “crimp/squeeze” my SS claptons FWIW, and I intentionally space the solid core (single wire) SS builds that I do. I’ve been quite satisfied with the flavor, but in my case, it’s been more dependant on the atty choice (theorem and limitless+) since I’ve made the leap to using SS exclusively.

Looking forward to hearing from the build vets here as well! As my experience or “reasoning” could be way off base. But as always just sharing what I know for where I’m at! =)

2 Likes

This doesn’t answer your specific question about coil spacing, but relevant to the topic. I had been vaping 24g 5 or 6 wraps at roughly .3x ohms for some time in my RDA. In RTA’s too, though I was known to sometimes use 26g to get the same resistance in a smaller package. I read an article on Spinfuel, and they claimed that flavor drops off below .5 ohms. I had never heard of that. I immediately re-coiled my RDA with 26g, 5-6 wraps for .5x ohms, and I kid you not, the flavor was measurable improved. Now I’m on 28g/32g Claptons (spaced, incidentally) at .58 ohms, and lovin it.

Thank you all for your replies … Very helpful as ive never spaced my coils, i will get some SS clapton coils as i have only Kanthal, i will space my coils a little on all my attys and give it a try for a while :wink:

If you have only used kanthal, then try it with a wire your used to. That way you can see the difference. Just a thought. :yum:

2 Likes

My go to flavor coil is a 304SS 0.2 x 0.8mm Flat Twisted with a 3.5mm ID at 0.3-0.35 Ohms. I use them slightly spaced with TC Mods and Contact with Power Mods. The flavor is great, the ramp up time is pretty short and they hold a lot of juice.

Interesting.
I’ve been working closer to @Pro_Vapes deep water zone, and can’t remember whether it was primarily attributed to the impedance being lower, or if it was the surface area… but at any rate, I’ve really been enjoying the flavor and performance of this “paralleled single coil” build (using 26/36 SS) at .25ohm, and was considering dropping two of those (slightly less wraps) into the new limitless+ to see if it would get me into deep water territory (assuming it’s the sub 0.1 ohm aspect that’s the qualifier, and not the Guage). Thoughts PV?

3 Likes

For me, below .1 ohm in TC mode with Ti wire is where I find the flavor that works best for me. I haven’t been able to get that low with a single coil setup. I haven’t had much luck with a single coil setup at all. That thick gauge parallel (22g or 24g) as you mentioned might just get you there. I’d like to hear how it turns out.

2 Likes

Guys you all have been awsome with your replies … Spaced is what everyone is saying ideally with SS fused clapton :wink:

2 Likes

Although I haven’t tried spacing my coils… I find twisting 4 strands of SS 28AWG wire together and 6 wraps on 2 coils comes out around 0.13Ohms and is mighty tasty if that’s any help to you.

2 Likes

My experience tell me to build to your atty… ie fill up the atty as much as poss you want as much as the air your sucking in to pass threw or close to the coil…if you leave to much space around the coil you will just get a lot of warm air…

I prefer high gauge fused claptons. 2x28g cores wrapped in 38g or 2x30g cores wrapped in 40g. Ramp up time is minimal and the overall size will fit most RTA’s.

1 Like

What wire type so you use? Kanthal?

I mostly use 304 Stainless but I have used 316L and Nichrome80 with good results as well. I like to use the higher gauge wire because it end up with a higher resistance. A dual coil build with 316L at 6-7 wrap on a 3.5mm ID is between 2.5 - 4 ohms depending on the cores.

1 Like

I’ve been using SS exclusively too but I twist mine and squeeze them together with no issues. I’m gonna try spacing them next time though. I find the twisted coils give better flavour than solid coils (just a single wire coil) so I imagine spacing would be epic!! I can’t believe I haven’t tried it already to be honest!

2 Likes

Can I ask why you prefer a higher resistance?

I find it to be more efficient. The lower mass requires less power and ramps up quickly. It also cools down quicker which means less juice sizzling on your coils after your puff. This helps to cut down on coil gunking.

2 Likes

I have always been a fan of Helix wire or Fused Claptons for flavor.

1 Like