Calling all PG-free mixers!

And here I always chalked that up to the natural oils coming to the surface from the roasting process!

2 Likes

thats what i thought too until i went to a roastery. the beans are dull out of the cooker. guess you could experiment with the coffee/tea flavor(hazelnut) on a regular roast bean. could mix some flavor with a smidge of VG then pour into your coffee and mix well. hmmmā€¦might have to try this!

1 Like

I remember reading at one point where a few folks were playing with the idea of a NEC (naturally extracted caffeine) processā€¦ No, they were going for a coffee flavor!!

I want to say @BoDarc was one of the ones involvedā€¦ But I could be wrong. Iā€™ve read probably 10-20,000 posts since then, so itā€™s a bit fuzzy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

the guy at the roastery explained how they extract caffeineā€¦but because i wasnt real interested in it at the time i half assed listened. a home brewed coffee flavor eh? doesnt sound too tasty atm

1 Like

You are actually correct @Mark_Turner Walt was quoted saying that a small amount of PDO is in the RF SC. Can someone please find this post, those RF threads are hugeā€¦where is the quote from Walt himself?

1 Like

Lmao I agree both NF butterscotch and NF brown sugar are strong as hell. They are ā€œsleepersā€ as they they tend to increase in intensity as time goes onā€¦

4 Likes

never have i tried nf brown sugarā€¦have enough brown sugar to flavor the wabash river.:smile: however, i might pick up a small bottle of that. thanks for the idea!

i wonder if RF changed the SC formula. in the soda thread, walt furnished a good syrup recipe using RF SC. if it had PDO in it, the final taste would be off like that of PG in soda. guess a company can change anything it wants and never tell usā€¦as long as the original flavor is the same. iā€™ll have to look at the soda thread again. finding that quote you mentioned in that threadā€¦damn, id need another week of vacation

2 Likes

Yes get the NF brown sugar, much truer flavor than TPA or RF i am not a fan of either of those flavors. Warning though strong! I use 0.25%. As far as the soda base RF i use the vg version so no PDO. I see it as an additive so saw no need to get the SC version.

2 Likes

i was joking about the soda base.:grin: not sure if i have that soda base at all. i liked the SC brown sugar at firstā€¦until the mixes fully steeped and then the strangeness came forward. i wont use it anymore but may in a soda syrup. already have another giant flavor list so i may sub the brown sugar NF for something else

But they seem to contradict each other maybe @Walt_RealFlavors can chime in an clear it up - I have looked at a couple of msds (i dont have any for sc just vg) none contain pdo that I can see.

5 Likes

That is confusing, alright. Thought emailing the company for a definitive answer would be the end if it, I guess they could have gotten it wrong. Maybe there is a difference between being PDO based and having some PDO in it?

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: Recently joined Iā€™m pretty new to mixology, but Iā€™ve been sniffing after PG-free flavours forā€¦maybe a year now, in preparation for the day when EU legislationws make it downright impossible to get PG-free juice in the flavours and strengths I like. Which day has now passed.

I can add one more to those already mentioned http://www.flavormonks.com/prodcut-category/pgfree/

Only six flavours, Iā€™m afraid, but good, I hear.(Iā€™ve only tried one of them as yet)

It might be a while before got anything useful to add to the flavour notes here, but I love the idea of we PG-free vapers banding together,.

Any chance they could give us a subforum?

3 Likes

Greetings and salutations! Thanks for putting FlavorMonks on the list. Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on them in hopes that they pick up a US distributor. (or have they already??) So far, their website stated that they only ship to ā€œBelgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Finland, Poland, Portugal, Greece, Ireland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Norway, Turkey, Russia and China.ā€ But Iā€™ve found some info on another page that makes me hopeful that it can be done. Thanks again, more later :slight_smile:

They are all alcohol base but sometimes there are trace amounts of PDO, or VG. 2 do have trace amounts of PG. This is due to the ingredients used to make a flavor (not an extract) being suspended in these items. They are so low of amounts that most test will not even show PDO, VG, or PG but I like to be transparent as possible.

8 Likes

Cheers thank you @Walt_RealFlavors It has been been said by several people here that they feel pdo is responsible for muting of flavours over time but I suspect the amounts in a recipe would be so small as to not ever come into play.

The same would apply to any E.M. used in the flavour the amount that would translate into a recipe would only be trace amounts.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, Walt :slight_smile:

Maybe you can mark those particular flavours, on your website, with ā€œmay contain. tracesā€¦ā€ ,Then, I think you can trust this lot here to figure out if those traces make a difference to anyone.

Thanks, @Walt_RealFlavors! That definitely clears up the confusion. Btw, your rose flavor is awesome! Any more florals in the pipeline? If youā€™re taking requests, jasmine, violet and honey suckle are on my shopping list!

1 Like

If youā€™re craving Violet Flavour, try Medicine Flowerā€™s violet? I 've been wanting that ever since I tried Virgin Vaporā€™s Violet juice (I understand that MF is their concentrate supplier). It was awesome, but pricey, and a bit of a faff to get hold of in the UK . (Actually, I wasnā€™t even doing DIY back then , but sort of mentally gearing up for it, I guess) I finally received a bottle of this in the post , last weekend, and mixed a test batch the other day. I expect Iā€™ll have a biit more to say, once itā€™s steep[ed awhile, but Iā€™m so confident itā€™s gonna be good that Iā€™ve added some to my super-high-strength nic juice already.

1 Like

I really dig the MF line. Virgin Vapor was what hipped me to them, too. MFā€™s prices are keeping me away right now. So, I found some sample sizes for cheap at ECX, but they donā€™t carry any of the florals, which my wife really likes. I just canā€™t drop that kind of cash on a large bottle until Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll use it a lot. Iā€™ve also read that they short their bottles and donā€™t seem to want to make it right to the extent that I feel they should. Iā€™m really liking the customer service and quality at RF, so Iā€™d much rather go with them if possible. Hoping they go beyond rose in the floral category soon! Cheers!

Ps. Also havenā€™t tried Natureā€™s Flavors yet, they are a bit better priced and have the florals I want to get. Iā€™ve heard good things about their priduct, so Iā€™ll probably try them out soon.

2 Likes

Let me know how that steep goes!