Caramel/Butterscotch what’s the difference?

What I’m really trying to do is clone “Icing on the Flake”. It’s the first juice I’ve bought in awhile. It’s was a group buy and the price was good. I loved it! So… trying to make it. Crack Pie looks very much the same. Flakes, dairy, vanilla icing, sweetner. Thinking it needs a touch of butterscotch.
I’ll try butterscotch natural too!
Thanks for the replies!!!

2 Likes

Yep, thats me. :grinning: It took a while too, only because their description was so misleading. I’m happy with where it’s at though, it’s as close as I can possibly get.

3 Likes

The best caramel I have had so far is FW salted caramel. It actually tastes like caramel. No real salt taste. I have tried a lot of caramels and so far that is the one.

Another thing I do is add equal parts FA caramel and FA butterscotch to get a decent caramel flavor.

9 Likes

Couldn’t sleep last night so I was up mixing. I had (FA) Caramel 1%, Butterscotch (SC)(Real Flavors) 2.8%, Vanilla Custard V1 (CAP) 3.75%,(TFA) Cotton Candy 1% and RY4D 4%
At least 10-14 steep. I found a recipe I liked was short a couple of Concentrates so I attempted to Sub a few, worse case scenario it’ll be another learning experience. If my recipes don’t taste right to me I vape them anyway. That’s just how I learn,so as not to make the same mistake again. And no waste of Concentrates. Notes, Notes & more Notes. Really puts your mind to working too, taking 2 Concentrates and trying your best to mix them to where they taste like the one that your missing. I figured out finally, if I like it and it’s palette approved. I hit a home run for myself.

3 Likes

I’ve got a few shelves of experimental juices. My bad is not letting them steep long enough. If by chance I allow them to steep, say 2 mo. And it turns out fantastic, I’ve forgotten how I even made it. Definitely notes, more notes, but I always feel like I will remember…:roll_eyes:

The profile is very close to icing on the flake. I’m gonna try ur crack pie! Got the last ingredient …caramel toffee. So ever use it single flavor?

I didn’t know that. In Germany / German speaking countries all these things based on “burnt” sugar, with or without butter or other things in it goes by the name of Karamel.

dont you use the calculator and save ??

1 Like

No it doesn’t we use different words as well. A lot of English labeled flavors only fall in one or two main categories, but the german language as well as French and spanish, would have already 3-5 different categories for that.

Butterscotch in germany falls in one of these categories depending on texture, ingredients, the way its processed :
Buttertoffee
Sahnebonbon
Toffee
Taffy
Sometimes we keep it simple and call it karamellbonbon, if we don’t want to bother that day, but everyone in Germany knows what that is and wouldn’t just put it under the regular karamell option.

And then there’s caramel aka karamell, here alone we looking at least at 6 main categories because not everything is just burnt sugar, or burnt sugar with butter.

Another category that includes caramel or in Germany mostly only known as karamell koffee sahne is dulce de leche, extremely different by taste, yet the main concept is again sugar but it still doesn’t fall just under karamell, sorry.

What we call karamell in Germany or in other German speaking countries is also not the same as the English word caramel. Brown sugar aka braun zucker is not very common or commonly used in our cooking/baking, yes we do use it but not our first go too.

However I do give you one thing tho, all that stuff would fall in one main category and that’s suessigkeiten, even tho we cook/bake with it. I think you getting confused with the other word " karamelizieren" that can be done in many ways, but the main aspect or ingredient would be sugar of any kind, that’s heated and then turns into a caramel like substance for fruits, meat, vegetables and puddings. Still a difference tho.

My apologize for derailing this topic but I just couldn’t ignore it :wink:

2 Likes

Although you’re right, these words all exist but at least in the south the people aren’t using them a lot. if you let somebody taste one of the things you said and ask them what they taste they won’t say Butter toffee, they will say Karamel… Right?

The south does not have different taste buds than the north or middle, our regions are not like the states in the US, were different things play a huge roll in the influence of culture, spices, cooking or overall ambient and tastes.

Of course every human tastes different things, however in Germany karamell is mostly what we interpret as a gooey sticky syrupy like texture, of lighter or medium dark amber color and mostly found in chocolate bars. (Rider, snickers)

Our caramel pudding, wether’s echte, chewy caramel would fall under sahne bonbon or toffee and that’s the answer you would get anywhere in Germany.

Some will actually mix it up with nougat because of the sweetness and texture.

I doubt that the word karamell is something Germans often use, or even aware of the ingredients, even in the south. But one thing I’m certain, German is the only language that uses 35+ words with different meanings, for the same damn thing lol. And we’re very particular when it comes too our language, and because of this we would not just say karamell.

Maybe now it changed, I don’t live in Germany anymore.

1 Like

Well what can i say, come to the Nuremberg area with a bunch of these things and ask people what they taste. I don’t live there anymore, either but in Bavaria you get a lot of laughs for a word like Buttertoffee or Taffy. Same for Austria as far as i know. Switzerland is a different story.
Where are you from?

North Rhine-Westphalia but I did spend quite some time down in Erlangen, Stuttgart, muenchen as well as the north before moving to the US 15 years ago.

karamello Gooey inside of chocolate ? What we call Caramello. Ive have some German Flavors not very many I can post them here maybe you can direct me to a profile page. My current language is English, so I would like to read it in English if possible. That would be Great.

1 Like

Sure I’m happy to help. Drop me a PM so we are not fully derailing this topic lol.

2 Likes

Thank you !! Just have to get them.

1 Like

What’s the Difference Between Caramel, Toffee, and Butterscotch? … Caramel is a mix of white granulated sugar, heavy whipping cream, butter, and a dash of vanilla. Butterscotch, on the other hand, is made with brown sugar instead. Butterscotch originally was just a hard candy.

4 Likes

That explains a lot :smiley:
I’ve spent some time up there in the 90s, Lingen / Haselünne / Emsland area. Nice bunch of people up there.

1 Like

Did you combine the caramel and toffee? :smiley:
Caramel doesn’t need whipped cream or butter … you can make caramel just by heating up white granulated sugar

1 Like

I never tried this salted caramel. In your opinion, FW Salted Caramel alone is better than FA Butterscotch + FA Caramel? By ‘best’, do you mean it is sweeter or the smokey burnt flavor is stronger? This is interesting

1 Like