Chain link coil wire AKA Clapton’s suck try this!

I use 28ga 316L ss for this.

So there has been so interest in my coil wire, so I thought I would post a pictorial of how to make it!
First you pull out about 6 feet of wire.

Then fold it in half and mount it in your drill chuck. While holding the folded end with your needle nose pliers.

Then with your drill in clockwise rotation spin until the twist gets tight like so.

Then find the center and cut in half.

Then flip one of the wires around so the twist all runs the same direction.

Mount in drill chuck. Make sure it’s tight!

Now hold the wires tight with you needle nose pliers.

Put your drill in counterclockwise rotation and spin the wire will shorten then lengthen right as your almost done.

It will also get a twist to it just keep spinning slowly until it comes out, it will look like this when done!

Out of that 6 feet of wire you get about a foot.

Wrap as you normally would and enjoy!

I didn’t create this wire, I learned this technique from @R113 and @TheTinMan1 helped me understand it better!
I hope I covered everything, if you have any questions just ask and I will answer when I see it!
And for my peeps that where interested
@therabidweasel @paingawd @Jayrell

20 Likes

When I make chain links I sometimes run the drill with the wire in it and take a pair of toothless pliers and apply gentle pressure thus flattening the links and giving it a more chainy appearance. Doesn’t do anything to improve flavor though, just adds to the ascetics.

4 Likes

I pull hard on it and it comes out just like in the pictures.

2 Likes

So you are doing the original twisted in clockwise…then twisting them on each other for the second time in a counterclockwise… OK cool…What size core do you use for your coil winding process?..and how many turns?..What is your final ohm on your finished coil?.. I do twisteds but haven’t tried twisting it on itself…

3 Likes

I’m guessing 28 gauge. Based on the first pic.

1 Like

I do 4 wraps spaced on a .25 mandrel and a single coil ohms out to about .30 you can add more wraps if you want to go higher.

That build ohms out at .12.

4 Likes

I am talking about the core for the actual winding of the coil itself…after the twisted wire is made.

2 Likes

I understand :+1:

1 Like

Gotcha… I typically wrap around a 2.5 mm core to about .5 to .8 ohms using a 2-wire, single twisted 28 gauge SS-316L…should be doable with your technique…and if not, then I could move to a 30 gauge…and achieve my desired ohms… Hows ramp up time on your vape?

4 Likes

Well I have a few mods I run it on and it’s quick, I usually run about 100w In tc and the mandrel I use is a coil master one and it just says 25 on the back I assumed it meant .25 but it probably means 2.5, it actually winds up at 3.0 because it’s a bit springy.

3 Likes

Looks awesome.:+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

5 Likes

Thanks! Just giving back! I get so much from everyone here!

5 Likes

I’ve made this before and couldn’t have explained it better brother, great job. Coils look :ok_hand:t2:

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m trying to get my writing down so it’s easy to follow and repeatable.

7 Likes

Nicely done @Cutlass92, didn’t take you long to get bitten by the coiling bug !!!

5 Likes

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes today. Please wait 1 hour before trying again

4 Likes

Oh yea I’m going to try this today and throw some rayon in it with my glazed B.B. donut mix… thanks brother for the info!

5 Likes

I’m definitely trying this!

6 Likes

@Cutlass92 Is this the same ??

1 Like

Meh. You know Cutlass… Doesn’t take him long to get bitten by anything. :laughing:

6 Likes