Cheapest, but yet okay wick

Highly toxic carbon disulfide is used in the production of viscose, leading to many incidents and legal cases.[13] However, the volatile carbon disulfide is lost before the rayon gets to the consumer; the rayon itself is basically pure cellulose.

So processing it it is dangerous. But when it reaches the consumers it harmless.

Back it up with facts, please.

4 Likes

And we have had this convo before and you have yet to back it up with facts. I even pointed out to you previously that cotton is one of the most chemically treated cash crops there are. But before it reaches the shelves the chemicals are removed. Same with rayon. All chemicals are removed before it reaches the consumer.

4 Likes

I’m sceptical about this. Because clothing is treated with formaldehyde for all kinds off purposes like easy iron, less wrinkly, color fastness, waterproof, stainproof, etc. Seems highly unlikely to me that they would put this on hairdresser Rayon. Furthermore if you can have trouble breathing dryer fumes from loads with to much Rayon, don’t you think we would heard more complaints from vapers not being able to breathe after using Rayon? I’m very sorry but without cold hard facts i’m not concerned, i do understand if you are though.

4 Likes

Only if you dry burn it.

1 Like

And can’t the same be said about cotton? dry hits it isn’t healthy either, they produce more formaldehyde than regular cigarettes too (that’s how “scientific studies” one day proved that e-cigs were more dangerous than regular tobacco). That’s why I use temp control, that’s why I change my cotton every few days.

And I mean please, let’s all agree that breathing fresh air is still safer than vaping. Vaping isn’t “safe”, it does come with risks but they’re immensely less harmful than smoking and that’s why we do it.

People have been regularly vaping on viscose for probably about 5 years now. If there was arsenic in the rayon gasses, I’m pretty sure we would’ve heard of a few people dying here and there. Even if it’s ONE person, the media loves to blow up stories about vaping so everyone would’ve heard this sensationalist story.

2 Likes

I am no expert, but that part about formaldehyde maybe isnt the real truth?

2 Likes

As long as you’re not getting any dry hits, the formaldehyde is barely present. Tests have been done on dry cotton and those prove that even more formaldehyde come off of it. I don’t think those results have any weight in a real world environment, nobody vapes like that.

If you want to check out actual scientific test results on electronic cigarettes, search for Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos.

2 Likes

I really don’t feel like digging through all the text books to find the data. It’s polymerized wood or bamboo pulp. Is it worse than an analog, I seriously doubt it. I just prefer not to add any more known toxins to my regimen than I need too, but you might want to look up the process before using it, your choice. I’m not going to dis anybody for using it, it’s just not “safer” than cotton.

It is known that it is made from wood or bamboo. It is known that processing it involves dangerous chemicals. And it is known that the finished product has all toxins removed.

I need to know why it is not “safer” than cotton. And I could care less how cotton or rayon is processed. I want to know what I pull off the shelf, what I buy from Amazon, and what the FINISHED product contains. Not process, finished.

1 Like

Cotton is one of the most chemically dependent crops in the world. While only 2.4% of the world’s cropland is planted with cotton, it consumes 10 percent of all agricultural chemicals and 25 percent of insecticides. Some genetically modified varieties, which are resistant to some insects and tolerant of some herbicides, now make up more than 20% of the world’s cotton crop

You vaping on that cotton? Yes, yes you are. But before it makes into a pack of Cotton Bacon Kendo Platinum Primo Candy Fluffy Wick, it has the chemicals all processed out. Thus making it safer than processed rayon? Please.

1 Like

I will concede that the first person to pull out a wad of fluff from a bottle of melatonin and decide “I’m gonna use this as wick” had a pretty big pair. Not nearly as big as the first mushroom testers. But still pretty bold.

4 Likes

And even then what chemicals would be released when vaping. Vaporizing SS or kanthal probably releases harmfull chemicals aswell but i think you ave bigger problems by the time that happens

2 Likes

I appreciate you sharing this. I like reading first hand experience.

2 Likes

No, the toxins are not all removed. Just from the surface. You can lick it all you want. Out gassing is something that occurs when a finished product is heated. Cotton also out gasses formaldehyde. I just prefer not to add arsenic and acetone to the mix. Nothing we vape is “safe”, but if you go to the trouble of finding out what’s in the liquids and nixing some of them because of content you might as well know what’s in the rest of the system as well. That would include the wire we use. But I’ll leave that to someone who’s specialty is metals, mine is polymers.

2 Likes

Ah but I don’t do that with liquid either. First off for me vaping was a money thing not a health thing. But that aside by switching to vaping I allegedly am 95% safer than with smoking. Is it still feasible to cut maybe 0.5% or do I not bother? For me it’s a not bother thing Vs totally quit

1 Like