Choice Tobaccos for NET

Yup. :sunglasses:

I know of a couple… one I have tried and one is in the works. The one I have tried and liked is Peter Stokkebye Optimum 31:

Black Cavendish
Burley
Cavendish
Virginia
(Aromatic)

This combination of top-notch Virginias, Stokkebye’s signature steamed black Cavendish and mellow Burleys is topped with a unique mixture of fruit essences and creamy vanilla to create a singular flavor and aroma.

Tasting Notes:
Tastes just about how P&C describes it; very light fruit, touch of vanilla and very smooth. Super nice end of the day/desert tobacco.

The other one, I’m about to put in a jar and get it going; Sutliff Molto Dolce. I’ve heard many good things about this one… it scratches the RY4 itch for NET fans.

Burley
Cavendish
Virginia
(Aromatic)

Molto Dolce is excellent sweet Virginias, mellow Burleys and superior black Cavendish, married with essences of vanilla, caramel and honey for smooth flavor.

2 Likes

awesome I’m bookmarking this. :wink: thank you!

1 Like

Please keep me updated on this! It sounds right up my alley.

1 Like

Ya don’t know, til you give it a try! :wink: I’m glad your NET experiences have taken you to a happy place. For those remotely interested in a true tobacco tasting vape, NET is the golden ticket.

Often times, folks are quite surprised at the flavor outcome of lesser known tobacco brands. I believe @50YearsOfCigars found this out recently when he picked up a 6oz bag of Vision Hunter Fire for $5 at a local shop; little did he know it would turn out to make a really nice NET extract. :grinning:

1 Like

Are there any other tobaccos which you have macerated that would warrant never being without? :thinking: …perhaps tobaccos which you have cellared for the future?

1 Like

Very Glad to see you started this thread. Hopefully this will get more mixologists to try the very rewarding part of the hobby known as DIY NET !

I will throw in a couple of my 2cents here: I only started doing NETs about 6 months ago, and now realize I made a little mistake with my first jars of macerations. To help out anyone starting on this journey let me explain my mistake, and hope this gives you a leg up so you don’t accidentally do what I did at first.

The short of the long of it is: I mistakenly thought that all DIY NET was to be made from commercial PIPE tobacco blends. I got this idea from reading many NET threads where everyone only used major supplier Pipe Tobacco (usually tinned but sometimes sold as bulk) from major players like D&R, Lane, Cornell & Diehl, Dunhill, etc. That was a huge mistake. I now realize that all pipe tobacco is cased or flavor infused, and much of it is blended to fit a specific and very popular pipe smokers preference for ‘old english Pipe Shop Blends’… That is an OK thing, but as a NET type you don’t want to be only in that world. If I had it to do over again I would have started out with, say for example, 9 total jars, divided up as: 3 jars of the just mentioned Old English Pipe Blends, then 3 Jars of high quality Cigars, and lastly three jars of Pure Leaf Tobacco.

Here is an example of a 9 jar “starter kit”:

Pipe Blends:
American Patriot by Missouri Meershaum
Peter Stokebye - “84 Turkish”
C&R Habana Daydream

Real Cigars rolled from Pure Fermented Leaf Stock:
Partagas Black Clasico
Jose Marti Nicaragua Robusto
Rockey Patel Nording

Pure Leaf Stock:
Scraps - Fronto Leaf
Scraps - American Flue Cured
Native American RYO Vision Hunter Fire Tribal Tobacco
You don’t have to use “exactly” these as listed, the point I am trying to get across is that you will get up much faster on the DIY NET learning curve if you start out with samples from three areas of tobacco type available to you. You limit and hinder your learning about this whole world if you do as I did when I started out and just macerated “old English Latakia” Pipe shop commercial blends !!

A word of caution about price. One of the great attractions for us that like to DIY NET is that the cost is very low if you carefully choose you tobacco feedstocks. Unfortunately the Pure Rolled Cigars have seen price jumps in the past few years that are shocking. I used to buy very high quality Nicaragua Cigars for $1 a stick. Now the same cigar is $5. Also avoid any infused cigars like the ACID line and similar cigars intended for the younger ‘kiddie’ smoker market. What you are after is the pure fermented leaf that is the handi-work of the most well respected cigar blenders. Your best Price, overall, will be on pure leaf from leafonlydotcom and Bulk supplied pipe tobacco from vendors like smokingpipesdotcom. Unfortunately the day of NETing high quality rolled cigars is probably gone forever, but just to see what you get from that you should try one or two, if your budget can withstand it.

Hope this helps! :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m vaping a Dunhill Robusto Cigar at the moment and it is goooooooood :yum:

4 Likes

@50YearsOfCigars makes a valid point; use many varieties/types of tobaccos.

Confession: I’ve limited myself by not macerating whole leaf tobacco tobacco til now, such as what can be purchased via leafonlydotcom.

https://www.leafonly.com/index.php

I’ve recently been vaping some whole leaf Fronto extract and have to say… I’ll be sad when it’s all gone. :pensive: …guess I’ll have to make my own. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve recently purchased some whole leaf Izmir Turkish Oriental and Aged Nicaraguan Ligero; really looking forward to getting these into jars! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

…just started the Molto Dolce today. :grinning: Boy, does that tobacco have a nice aroma! I can understand now why some NET folks say it is the heat for an RY4 like NET vape.

Mark your calendar for March 1st; that’ll be when I take my first 2.5ml draw of extract out of the jar for test purposes. This process could take up to 6 months though… hope you’re willing to wait. :wink:

5 Likes

I will literally set am alarm on my phone right now.

1 Like

100% willing

1 Like

I posted a bit of a rant over here,… If you are experimenting with NET extractions you might want to read it.

1 Like

This thread gets so little activity, I thought I would just drop in this following post from a recent private PM thread. Maybe it will jog loose some of the ‘NET Heads’ to throw in a post here once in a while:

Regards: C&D Billy Bud, which is a very commonly extracted NET: it is a crazy heavy Latakia bomb of an extract! :scream: …at least mine turned out like that. I don’t think I’ll be mixing it as a stand alone!

Yeh, I sometimes, but very rarely, vape it stand alone, but don’t really enjoy the experience., and quickly return to an atty in my “full time rotation” that always has 1/2BB-1/2 Izmir, and I enjoy that much better.

If I want a Lat Bomb, I have some Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme , and to my TIS it is much better balanced than BB. It is sort of what BB was trying to do.

I think, ( disclaimer:TIS ) that all of the following list uses Lat in a better balanced more ‘professional way’ than BB. But if BB is really your thing, let me know and I’ll send along 120mls of it. I will keep my remaining 120mls here for blending with Izmir T.

C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Morleys Best
Dunhill Nightcap
C&D Habana Daydream
C&D Pegasus-
C&D Bailey’s Front Porch-
C&D Mississippi Mud
C&D Bow Legged Bear
Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme

-:grin:

5 Likes

Missouri Meerschaum: American Patriot is also built upon Latakia, which I think is what sets it apart from the other five NETs I have processed. It has a bold, authentic nature to it, with a kick note that I am unqualified to describe.

I have zero experience with tobaccos, except for 40 years on the cigs, but AP was clearly in a place by itself, once I had vaped the others.

American Patriot was the first extract that made it into an E-liquid for me, and I was thinking. “are all of these going to taste like this?”. Hahaha. It was also the only extract that I mixed too strong the first time at 10%.

1 Like

There are a number of Latakia blends which I find very enjoyable. One of which is Moonshine Pipes Co. XXX Blend.

Vendor notes:
XXX is a Latakia-based blend that is mixed with Turkish Smyrna, high quality Virginia leaf, and a touch of Burley. To finish off the exotic mix of tobaccos a light top note of Kentucky Bourbon is added for room note.

My notes:
The bourbon top coat doesn’t make it through to the final flavors of the extract, but that’s ok… the rest of the components in the blend sure do. Overall, this tobacco extracts to a pleasingly smokey and slightly sweet nature; definitely in my “keeper” column.

1 Like

I consider AP to be in the realm of so-called “American English Blends”. There is considerable dispute about the use of some of these terms. There is an interesting discussion of that HERE

You bring up a important point, and that is that the new NET experimenter should work with a variety first as I noted in my post in Dec '17 a few back from here in this thread., and escape the temptation to follow those NET threads over at ECF that think all NETs are from the world of the heavy Latikia English Pipe Shop. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is a whole world of tobacco flavors out there.

Glad you are having good luck with NET. it is a great adventure with a very wide varitey of blend type available to you.

I keep accurate tasting notes on my blends, you might have seen them over at my public web page.. Only a percentage of those are English Latakia, and they are noted as such in the descriptions. 180 degrees from English Pipe Shop latakia blends, lives my latest turn on the tobacco flavor road, that is to work with non-blended pure leaf. I have just started on that part of the project, and am obtaining pure leaf for extractions from these guys.

Glad you took the trouble to post here, we need all the NET heads out there that we can find ! Keep giving us those tasting notes. Like I said I put all mine on a web page, because there is so many now, that actually posting them here would be crazy. But just for fun here is my tasting notes from American Patriot:

Sample#25- Missouri Meerschaum: American Patriot - Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia. - This blend is in the “American English” category. an entire range of flavors in nearly every puff. It is the work of master blender Russ Ouellette at Lane Ltd. I use this as one of my ADVs and come back to it often. It is an easy extraction for the newbie NETer, and easy to vape and easy to understand blend. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Almost forgot to ask, how about a quick list for us of what those other five are???

1 Like

I knew someone would ask that question :] Wasn’t, and still not, prepared to summarize adequately, but will try.

I did take your advice to heart a few months back, and broadened the diversity of tobaccos. This made perfect sense, considering the time involved for each extract, and my total lack of experience with tobaccos whatever.

Also, to further cover the spectrum of options, I extracted each tobacco blend in both PG and PGA, side by side for comparison of the two solvent methods. So this netted me 12 different extracts to try.
Generally speaking, the PGA extracts were much cleaner tasting, smoother, and weaker, requiring about 5% more in the e-liquid than their counterpart PG extracts. The PGA extracts were also, as expected, easier on coils/gunk, maybe twice as much so.

I’m also trying the mixes in different devices, which we all know can have great effect on flavor profiles, no matter what we are vaping.

This whole process has been rather fun.

Early in the testing it became apparent that I really had no idea how to take notes. I mean, I had/have nothing to compare the flavors with. Still trying to work that out, but still taking notes nonetheless. “Tastes like tobacco”, “tastes like manure”, “too weak”, “too much VG”. That is about the extent my taste-testing sophistication.

I will look at your notes and try to learn something.
Hope that nobody takes any of my opinions below seriously. And bear in mind that I am still playing with percentages and VG/PG ratios and the like.

Here is what I’ve tried: I like them all Except the Danish Export, which is the one that stunk of manure from the time I was filtering it to the time it was vaped, no matter how it was extracted or mixed.

Pipe Tobaccos
Missouri Meerschaum: American Patriot
As mentioned above, set apart from the other five NETs in a good way. Bold, authentic nature to it, with a kick note that I am unqualified to describe.

Daughters & Ryan: Picayune
Peter Stokkebye: Optimum
Not sure why, but these two I tend to put in a like category. Both are pleasant, tasteful, smooth.
Maybe the the Optimum is on the warm sweeter side, and the Picayune on the bolder, tobacco-ey side.

Sutliff: Molto Dolce
Rich, sweet, thick, cupcake, chocolate? Really good. This is a dense, sticky tobacco.

Cigar
Partagas: Black Label Classico
Distinct. Different profile altogether. Good, though. Was never a cigar smoker. Very weak. Took several trials get flavor. Should have let the extract steep much longer (than 45-50 days). Maybe try a different PG:Tob. ratio (than 8:1)

RYO Cigarette
Peter Stokkebye: Danish Export 91
Stunk like manure. That’s all. Just drew a big X on the bottle. :] This was apparently a better seller at the local B&M. So this might be a glaring example: what you get from something when you light it up and what you get when you extract/vape it are entirely different.

5 Likes

Great work ! You are on the road, doing fine !!!

Yes, the Partagas cigar takes 6 months. Short time on Pure Leaf and Cigar extractions is a universal mis-step. Now you know !

Very good on your side by side EA and PG extractions, this is also a very important experiment that is all too often neglected. You might try making some vape juice that combine each of those two solvents, maybe 50/50, from the same feedstock tobacco. I do this all the time to fill out and complete the flavor profile from certain tobaccos. It works spectacularly well with C&D Habana Daydream, which is one of my all time top 10 favorite extractions.

Thanks for taking the time to give us all the above details. Looks like we gained a serious NETer, to the club. Keep us updated as you see fit, and as you have the time.

1 Like

Many thanks to you and @Kinnikinnick also, and others here. I’ll share as I am able.