Cleaning Atomizers, RTA's

Not having an ultrasonic Cleaner or dishwasher, how do you clean your RTAs?.. Dish soap?.. Alcohol? other cleaning products that rinse clean?

3 Likes

Mine don’t get overly dirty, so I use warm/hot water, a little dish soap, and rinse thoroughly before drying.

5 Likes

Citric Acid works wonders on metal parts. I use that to clean my mech mods and rda’s and with the rda’s i rinse them off in water to get rid of any Acid residue.

4 Likes

I just put a drop of blue Dawn dishsoap in a small glass of very hot water and soak the disassembled tank then rinse with hot water and let dry on paper towel. Seems to work just fine. Be carefull not to rinse o-rings/seals down the sink tho…don’t ask how I know that please.

7 Likes

lol I have disassembled my traps a time or 3 :wink:

6 Likes

Like the others have stated, some hot water is usually the only “cleaner” I use on my RTA’s/RDTA’s/RDA’s. If I’ve let them get overly crusty, or if I’ve been vaping a fairly strong fruit flavor, then I typically just use a little perfume-free dish soap(I like Seventh Generation-Cuts grease alright and doesn’t give me a migraine when I do the dishes)

One little trick I’ve been using since I started building: Use a tea ball for all of the small bits, o-rings and screws. They get just as soapy when you dunk the ball into the water, and you don’t have to worry about losing your screws and other odd bits and bobs down the drain!

Something like this works really well. If you don’t have the cash or just get annoyed at the idea of constantly having to buy stuff(Riiiiiiight-Like that EVER happens to a vaper!) You can essentially make a strainer using an old pill bottle and a small drill bit. I made one for washing the tips for my squeeze bottles after catching hell from the missus for stealing her tea ball!

14 Likes

Golly Gee Willickers…Now why would you say something like that about those O-rings?.. Your secret is safe with me…so I won’t EVEN ask you what you’re talking about… (says the guy who uses tiny available at Walmart rubberbands as makeshift O-rings)… :slight_smile: I get the black ones for cosmetic purposes …

I posed this question cuz I have been using dishwashing liquid that I get at a dollar store, and it seems to leave a strange feeling on my hands when I clean my tanks, and was wondering if I was also leaving a film on my tank parts, as well, and thereby altering my vape flavor… I got some tank parts soaking now in a bowl of cheap vodka now…will rinse and air dry later tonite…

I see that Dawn seems to be the “go to” soap for cleaning tanks…but am still wondering if the cheap vodka soak can be eliminated or would it still help… I see a couple of videos of people using 91% rubbing alcohol… Thoughts?

6 Likes

Not sure about DG dishsoap vs. Dawn. I feel rediculously hot water is the secret though. I never seem to get any weird taste or feel when I’m done. Maybe I’m just dense though and have built up a tolerance to the flavor of dishsoap. That would explain why I occasionlly fart bubbles. Hmmm.

5 Likes

hot water, Dawn and and old Spin Brush toothbrush makes short work of any gunk or machine oil.

5 Likes

If your getting a slippery feeling, You have a water softener. Or naturally soft water depending on where you live. I doubt there is any soap left behind but you can taste it after your done rinsing and see.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s perfectly OK to do this. I actually prefer this because it rinses off way better than soap and without ANY residue. Like you say, some soaps tend to leave a film of whatever on anything it touches and I wouldn’t want to inhale that.
You do really have to rinse it off well though, you don’t want to be inhaling that stuff either.

2 Likes

That or moisturizers or whatever, they put a lot of additions in soaps these days.
If I use soap on my attys, they always go in the USC after a good rinse. That stuff just won’t come off otherwise :frowning:
I usually avoid soap but sometimes I just throw everything at a bottle / tank / rda to get it smelling nice and clean again.

1 Like

Dissolve 1-2T arm and hammer super washing soda in hot water. Rinse your tank parts in hot water first then drop into the solution you just made. Swish around gently and let soak 15-20 minutes. Rinse well until no longer slippery. All odors and lingering flavors will be gone

6 Likes

I have just been rinsing the parts off with just water but… I like the alcohol idea !

1 Like

I only use it for a bad case of lingering smell though, usually plain water will do the trick

3 Likes

I use hot water mainly but if I have a flavor that sticks I use hot water and baking soda. That shit kills anything … hahaha. l bought a kids toothbrush specifically for cleaning my atomizers. The small head fits in some pretty tight spaces.

4 Likes

That’s what she said

5 Likes

I put mine in a stainless mesh infuser and stick it in the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle.

1 Like