Cleaning coils with solvents

Out of curiosity, i have read/seen how to on rebuilding them, some being easier then others and since i cant win my bro over to rtas he promised to save his old ones :happycry: chuckle

1 Like

I blame Sucralose. It’s some form of carbon because it just burns off …at 1,000 degrees, but it’s not simple carbon …pretty sure it’s halfway to Diamond :wink:

4 Likes

Could you save your carbon chunks and make your wife a ring? You would have to compress it hard enough to shape but she would be thrilled!

2 Likes

Vodka is ok but what you really need is Everclear it is 75.5% Alc. (151 proof )

-Put your coil in a shot glass, pour the EverClear just until coil is covered, leave sit a day or two. The Alcohol should turn a dirty color.

• Rinse thoroughly ( very thoroughly ) then boil.
  • After it cools down enough to touch, flick as much water as you can, out of the coil. Let sit for a few hours.
  • Next I use a hair dryer to dry it out completely.

This method will let you use the coil for a week or two

After that its time to rebuild it

3 Likes

The problem with the rebuild of the Crown1 coils is the cotton for me. I can’t get it equally dense all around the coil and keep it within the inner “barrel” of the coil housing. I haven’t had much time for it recently but I’m trying to find a sub for the original pads. I thought the first aid kit may be a good source for all kinds of tissue and cotton.

2 Likes

Brilliant!!! Thats a good idea. I am pretty sure the first aid kit has those skinny dense pads.

Ya, I have the same problem. As soon as I hit the reply button I am gonna give your idea a check see.

3 Likes

Wasnt me.

Back in my carto days I’d drop my used cart into a small jar of water and let it soak several days. It almost always made the carbon come right off.

One step stronger than baking soda is washing soda aka soda ash. I use it to clean a lot of burned on stuff.

3 Likes

eightvape has a pretty good price on the OG coils i just bought a few packs and so does ecig-city i know thats not what ur trying to do but just a heads up

1 Like

Yeah I worry like OP that these 2-3 generation-back coils might go out of production …might be a good time to stock up

2 Likes

yeah it was said off-hand. You likely meant Acetyl Propionyl (AP) because a rich non-sucralose Custard may be the best cure for wrecked wicks and coils …a ml of prevention so to speak

1 Like

thats why i buy a couple packs here and there as often as possible , the rba is garbage just doesnt work my other Fave tank cleito has a great rta thank goodness …

2 Likes

What kind of cotton are you trying?
hope it’s this:

https://www.fasttech.com/product/2080201-authentic-muji-rectangle-cotton-wick-for-rda-rta

Tried the Muji but in the Crown 1 coils the’re using some kind of tissue. Not really cotton, more like a thin but very firm piece of kitchen towel.

But I’ve given up on re-coiling the Crown 1. I’ve got a Crown 3 now which doesn’t have the issues with the coils like the Crown 1 had. There’s no break-in time, it’s very nice taste from the first puff. The Crown 1 always takes a while and it’s easy to burn a brand new coil.

I’m going to give the Crown 3 coils a go, taking one apart to see if they’re easier to refurb but I’m on my 2nd coil since Easter now , they’re lasting a long time. The Crown 1 started tasting funny after 4 weeks or less.

Oh and with the solvents… I’ve done a test in vinegar, bicarbonate of soda and 99% alcohol. The vinegar and alcohol barely changed color even after a week or so. The water with bicarbonate of soda worked pretty well but not really well enough. I still have lots of old coils so maybe I’ll do some more testing.

mesh rules, need to find that.

baby beast coils are very cross compatible.
ProC1 is the most rebuildable and fit the big baby beast

I’ve been thinking about getting a little pan and just boiling the used coils but I haven’t found a pan and my wife says I can’t use hers.