Coil Building show offs!

Alright Coil Boys…here’s what I’ve got so far: Ni200 in 28, 30, 32; Tempered Ni200 in 30; Kanthal A1 in 24, 26, 28, and 32; and SS 316L in 26. Two questions: What should I get next? Considering I have a single batt 50w box with finicky TC, a Magma, a PV 1.5, and NO drill, where should I start?

1 Like

What ohm range do u like?

Eh, whatever isn’t going to burn through my batteries in 20 mins cuz I only have two right now. LoL. The lowest I’ve gone so far is 0.5. Don’t think I’ll be doing any sub sub ohming any time soon, but other than that, I’m open to suggestions. :smile:

It’s going to be hard to keep the Ni200 and the 316L above .5… you would have to do a single coil build with a 2.5 or more inner diameter with 8 or more wraps to stay above .5 ohms. If you use TC the low ohms wouldn’t matter because u can turn ur temp down.

2 Likes

I totally forgot I’d used the Ni200 to build a couple coils already…one was 0.15 (on the magma) and one was 0.17 (Subtank coil). I have all this Nickel wire now that I probably won’t use much of because of the temp control issues on my mod. Someday in the future I’ll get another mod with good temp control, but for now that wire will probably wind up stuck in a drawer. In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have bought as much as I did. Oh well. I’ve used the 316L to build a coil on the PV and so far, it has been my favorite. I did have to use a 3mm ID. It came out to 0.57 I think. Unfortunately, the 2.5 mm post for my coil kit doesn’t fit down into the head so I can’t use it…it’s either 2 or 3 mm.

I was thinking of trying a fancier coil. So, pardon my ignorance, but I’m guessing from what I’ve picked up from you and CMJ, twisted is as it says…two (or more) wires that are twisted together. A clapton is one wire twisted around another, correct? What I was after was more some way to do one or the other without a drill…whatever I do will have to be done by hand. Any tips or tricks for doing so?

Twisted wire will be easier without a drill.

Do you have any pliers etc?

To make one twisted wire coil.

Cut around 12" of your chosen wire.

twist both ends together so you can grip the cut ends with pliers.

Then in the looped side slide a screwdriver through the loop.

Grip the twisted side with pliers and begin to manually twist the wire using the screwdriver.

Something like this.

3 Likes

Hey @JoJo
For around a .3ohm build you could twist 28g kanthal as much as possible, cut into 2 lengths.

Wrapped in parallel 5 or 6 wraps on a 2-2.5mm internal diameter for a single coil should put you right around .3ohms.

6 wraps on a 2mm
5 wraps on a 2.5mm

I did this in a dual coil build on my PV and it was insanely hot on my mech as it was hitting around 90w on a .15ohm.

Single coil firing around 30-40w should be lovely.

1 Like

Hey @JoJo I’ve just rebuilt my wife’s Kanger Evod Coil.

First ever time.

Used 28g Kanthal 9 wrap 2mm ID 1.43ohms Organic Cotton.

It’s hitting pretty well with her Evod 1000mah battery 3.7v.

Man is it a fiddly job though lol.

CMJ.

Haha yeah I went to do a few PT coils for my mum, stabbed myself in the finger with the wire and said, “Forget this noise…” My fingertip still hurts. LoL. So instead, I reorganized all my stuff and twisted a bit of wire. Managed the world’s ugliest twisted coil but it came out at 0.35 ohms and hit pretty good. I’ll try it all again tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry for the awful photo, my phone sucks. And I just realized that the magma looks like it’s angry at me. LOL.

6 Likes

I finally got around to mounting the Transformer coil that @Jondamon told me about. I must say it’s quite a nice coil.

The Clapton has 4 cores 2x 28g kanthal and 2x 28g 317L wrapped with 32g Kanthal. The other coil is 2 Claptons Ni80 core wrapped with 36g Kanthal and fused with .8 ribbon wire. A total of 10 strands in parallel.

2 Likes

Good job @JoJo… How does she vape?

2 Likes

Have you separated each of the parallels into a different positive/negative on the Velocity?

Looks beautiful by the way!

Purchased a Billow V2 today.

Can’t wait for the arrival of my M80 and my Billow V2.

Should be a great combo.

CMJh

1 Like

The legs were too wide for a single post hole… So I used all four post holes. 10 strands is pretty wide. It vapes like a dream tho.

1 Like

You can probably see why I keep going back to the transformer coil now.

It’s quite a crisp clean flavour.

But 10 strands holy moly!

Lol.

J

1 Like

@Noobie_Mixer

If you want to try your hand at building intricate coils then realistically start with some of the more simple coil builds that are out there.

@NewDrip has helped me immensely over the last few months to fine tune my coil building.

I’ve only been making coils since early April.

I only really watch YouTube Videos about how to build specific coils.

I started with standard wrapped coils.

Then I moved to twisted wire coils.

Parallel wire coils.

And then from there I went up to claptons, fused claptons, parallel claptons, helix claptons, transformer coils etc.

Here are some YouTube posters that I’ve learned how to build coils from.

RIPTRIPPERS
TWISTEDMESSES
VAPOR HUT
THE ART OF VAPING

The rest of coil building as @NewDrip would put it is to “conceive and create”

Make sure you have plenty of wire, make sure you aren’t afraid to fail a few times, did I mention make sure you have plenty of wire???

Currently I have the following in my building box for wire making.

Kanthal
24, 26, 28, 32, 36, .5mm ribbon, .8mm Ribbon.

Nichrome 80
24, 29, 38

SS317L
25g

CMJ.

(It’s a shame you didn’t want to read the entire posts as there are some killer builds in this thread)

1 Like

wasnt that I did not want to READ the post, it was that there were too many pretty pictures. :smile:

But the list that you provided should help, it kind of lets me know which to start with. Instead of jumping right into a Clapton Alien (actually I already knew better than)

2 other issues right now, is the “plenty of wire” and I only have a 50 watt mod. I noticed that some require, ney, demand much more power than I can provide to even test.

but finally, Thanks for sharing the info.

1 Like

No worries.

It’s funny you mention the Alien wire. I’ve just finished watching Ryan aka Squidoode (The Art of Vaping) tutorial on the Alien wire.

I’ve been making all my builds on an 18650 mech mod with Samsung 25R batteries.

I am finding though that I need more power.

On my wish list is a higher power Regulated mod that can fire down low and that has temp control.

For now though I’ve ordered a Smok M80 as it can fire down to .1ohm where as my mech I haven’t gone below .15ohms and I wouldn’t really risk doing that very often.

Usually I’m around .2-.3ohms on my builds.

The biggest issue I’ve found making coils like this are that you can’t really calculate the ohms until you’ve built it and mounted it and then tested it before firing.

There’s been a few times where I’ve wrapped a nice coil, mounted it and it tested below .15ohms and became unusable on my mech.

If you want to get below .2ohms then you’ll need to either look at Dual 18650 mech mods that are in Parallel.

Or Regulated devices like IPV4, IPV3 Li, Sig 150w, Snowwolf200w.

Some lower wattage Regulated devices can fire low though too such as the Evic VT 60w, SMOK M80 80w.

But in short yes start small with claptons/fused claptons and work from there.

CMJ

All of these are some very nice, intricate builds, but they all have one thing in common…they’re all on drippers. Does anyone have any builds on the tank RBAs?

I have made small claptons and Fused Claptons for tanks. You have to use smaller diameter wire.

What Guage would you suggest?