Coil Building show offs!

Yup I tried that and it was very hard to pull the knots tight

maybe a higher gauge wire? Like maybe 28 or 32

Ya that would be a better option than the 26 maybe a 30 would work but the issue I found was kinking the wire and the two outside strands that you tie will have to be considerably longer than the inner wiires and with the smaller size it will be harder to keep out the kinks and stop them getting tangled.

Plus holding the wire in my not Donald Trump hands was quite hard.

I think that making a loop on the end of the wire and putting something like a clothers peg truogh the loop would stop the wire cutting into you hands as you pull it tight - it will make the knot harder to tie.

That’s a helluva try.

I had gotten some 26ga SS from Etsy once that was extremely pliable. It was like solder. Something like that would work nicely.

Now when you’re doing the square knot you know how you alternate back and forth which of the outside wires overlap the top? If you just stick with one side throughout instead of overlapping if will create a kind of double-helix effect, twisting similar to a DNA strand. So let’s make the DNA coil!

I was so hoping to just build this and show it off, but the proverbial cat is out of the bag. I’ll be watching though! :slight_smile:

Y i think the helix would look cool and it would be easier than alternating but the reason I tried to flatten it out was I think that the helix would maybe be too hard to fit into anything except maybe the pharoah. That said with smaller guage wire it would be a heap tighter and smaller.

I will have another shot at it maybe later today as you have inspired me to try again

Like wise lol

1 Like

You know what they say. Great minds think alike. :wink:

2 Likes

who is THEY?

1 Like

If you have to ask then you’d never understand. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If great minds think alike, mmm would it not follow that particularly ungreat minds would think alike too.

Not saying anything specifically about you two, in fact looking at your attempts to make that braid not bad first up.

But how many pairs of halfwits are currently walking about saying," yups me an Karl is great minds - we thought of a contraptions that keeps your milk cool tha - I calls it a milk cooler , he calls it a cool milk. Wow wee wee great minds thunkin alike an all."

@SthrnMixer

3rd time not so much a charm but it did get a bit further before the wire broke (have to be really careful not to kink it at all as once there is a kink it appears to be doomed
30 ss 316l

This is the twisted helix that you were talking about it is really hard to get the same tension on each knot (but I am sure practice would make it work - I think the flat is the way to go.

I wound some onto some pegs which did make it easier

made a little jig to keep the middle wires tight (ish)

Broke the wire and swore like a trooper

that is about 3 cm and it tests at .44

I think the core will have to be thicker

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken you’d need to use thicker wire for a lower ohm build.

I may just tackle this myself. Let’s just say…the game is afoot. It’s a race to get it perfected.

Ya I saw my error and fixed

I think a 22 or 24 pair of core wires and 30 or 32 for the knots

1 Like

would this help

I’ve added to the link the timestamp where it gets to the relevant part for you guys. @woftam @SthrnMixer

na not really it is not a braid it is a square knot
easy with cord not so easy with wire

right e o - it looked familiar but not the same. Good luck, I might have to look up some knotting resources and a have a play myself. Looks like fun if you still have hair like I do. I enjoy doing the braids looks like the next logical step, down that path.

I did get further this time but this is too messy to continue.

2x 24 core with 30 for the knots makes it a little easier to slide the knots tight (just have to work on the knot tightness consistency)

@SthrnMixer if you do try it make sure the 2 core wires are super tight it does make it a bit easier to slide the knots.

6cm tests at .38

3 Likes

I had already thought of that with the cores. Now if your anchor point is static as above, reasons to me you’d want to stick with the square knot. If you want to do the non-alternating one that twists, I think you’d be better off using a ball-bearing fishing swivel on each end which will allow it to turn as you work it.

Thanks for the pix and tips!!

1 Like

All this chatter here lately has urged me to see if I still have a touch for coil building. Here’s a little something… nothing spectacular, just a little something.

13 Likes

Getting better stil not perfect

13 Likes

That looks awesome :ok_hand:

2 Likes