Coil Building Wire Choices

Inner diameter, the size of the space inside and decided by what you wrap your wire around.

2 Likes

Now I understand that lingo thank you !

1 Like

There are no stupid questions when starting out twisting you own coils! ā€œStupidā€ is not asking questions and doing it wrong! :wink:

What kind of VW mods do you own?

6 Likes

I agree ! I have small mods willing to step up if need to atm I have

3 crappy eleaf 20 watt boxes

2 Kanger single battery 50 watt boxes

1 MVP 20 watt box

Eleaf istick 60 watt TC mod

Pioneer 4 IPV 50 watt box

Smok cube x TC

ego one VT

Innokin Endura ( not applicable most likely )

Still kinda of scared of TC modes btw

1 Like

I like no fuss style vaping MTL was hoping I could nail a good build on the kayfun 4 and then see where it takes me .

Youā€™re probably going to enjoy using the 50/60 watt mods a bit more in the future; thereā€™s no need to purchase anything with more wattage/power than you currently own. :grinning: My wife usually stays below 20 watts with the single coil setups that I twist for her. She likes a cool/warm vape as well.

1 Like

My wife is also a MTL vaper.

So, have to askā€¦why the Kayfun 4? Thatā€™s a big ole heavy chunk of SS!

Oh good ! I was starting to think to much into this. Ok so I will be continuing to vape in watts around what Iā€™m used to I tend to be in the 13s mainly on Apsire Nautilus minis, and my Kangers tend to run almost 14 but not quite donā€™t really like them as much.

I have no problem shopping for more mods but weā€™ll see if I like wrapping coils & building them. I just am sick & tired of paying way too much and not having the expectations with premade coils , as well as the preparations I need to hunt & gather while I can this puts me in a safer territory for Aug.

Donā€™t get me wrong, itā€™s a fine tankā€¦just kinda big and heavy. :thinking:

1 Like

I like to fill up and forget about it I would also go for a Kayfun lite with no problem. Kayfun has the reputation of the best MTL RTA. Now donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™ll still have plenty tanks I canā€™t vape just one flavor all day never guna happen but Iā€™m open for suggestions on a Real MTL RTA. What does your wife like tank wise ?

Iā€™m looking at getting the 22mm tank not the 28mm beast

Someone posted a Aspire Nautilus rebuilding deck addition you can buy for your Nautilus & mini if I got good enough Iā€™d take a gander at that option too.

Thatā€™s the beauty of wrapping your own coils! You can buy 250ā€™ of SS 28ga wire for $12.50ā€¦ Thatā€™s countless years of coil twisting pleasure! :grinning:

2 Likes

I know it Iā€™m tardy to the party ! This time it is Not fashionably late either.

This is getting way too old !

Thatā€™s 3 more coils I could have built.

1 Like

Goblin Mini (my go to MTL)ā€¦Kayfun Mini V3 (Clone available at VapeNW for $15.00)ā€¦Aromamizer V1 or V2 fairly cheap at Vape NWā€¦V1 is the simplest with a vape band for air flow controlā€¦V2 has a metal band for Air Flow Controlā€¦ Kayfun and Goblin Mini have small build decks but once you get the hang of making your own coilsā€¦AWESOMEā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you ! What is your current builds ? whats your preference in ohms?

Heheā€¦ She a dripper fan! Iā€™ve tried to switch her over to tanks, but she says she like the flavor of the juice better from a dripper. :wink: To each their own!

Well, thatā€™s a nice option you have there!

Iā€™m a tank person myself. 3.5 to 6ml in a tank, and Iā€™m good to go.

1 Like

I do Not like drippers I did try that out and went way unsuccessful. Yea certain tanks like when and I mean When I can get the regular Nautilus to behave itā€™s good for a few days for me I can put a favorite in it and just forget about it ! to each their own at least sheā€™s not smoking cigarettes.

1 Like

I build 2.5 mm 8 wrap with 26 gaugeā€¦which ohms out around .9 to 1.1 ohm ā€¦vape at 12 to 20 wattsā€¦I am now experimenting with some twisted 28 gauge ohms out at around .6 to .8ā€¦Starting to play with Stainless steelā€¦however if you are just starting out with making coils, I would recommend 26 gauge Kanthal A1 and start with basic mini coils at 2.5 mm 7 to 8 wrapsā€¦build decks are small so you would need to learn how to do basicsā€¦thats on the Goblin Miniā€¦and Kayfun Cloneā€¦Aromamizer has a larger build deck and I am experimenting with Stainless steel twisted and Clapton coilsā€¦nothing to report on that yetā€¦however you can get a 26 gauge with a 3 mm coil and build a bit larger

2 Likes

Curious as to while the lower gauge wire verse the 30-32 awg is it a matter of preference?

Can lead to more surface area

1 Like

Lower gauge wire, when it is wrapped is not as springy as a smaller 30-32 wireā€¦Also when the coils are rolled contact (all roll turns wire touching each other)ā€¦the larger diameter of the wire in lower gauge allows more juice to wick in between all the wraps ā€¦this produces more flavorā€¦plus I can control my ohms a little better with a slightly lower gauge wireā€¦With twisted coils, I do drop down to 28 gauge to twist and again, it is a function of resistance in Ohmsā€¦30-32 will allow more wraps for a given space, but the ohms are gonna jump up a bit more, and it is harder to work with for me, and I prefer keeping my ohms at around .9 to 1.2ā€¦It has an effect on ramp up time of the coil and the heat of the vapeā€¦ Higher ohms will also require more power to heat up your coilsā€¦For me, the slightly larger awg affords me more controlā€¦ With my twisted and Claptons, I am using higher AWG because I am using more strands for increased surface area of my coils but they will add up to my chosen Ohms of .9 to 1.1 or soā€¦These, however, are only in my experimental phase

2 Likes