Coil Building Wire Choices

Get yourself a cheap dripper that is MTLish

It will give you plenty of room to practice making coils.

Don’t rule out dripping - I know you’ve said you tried it but keep trying.

2 Likes

That’s what got me started a couple years ago and I gave up. Idk , I hear what your saying Phil and it seems totally valid I get it, I’d have the room so that is a plus. I just have never heard of a MTL-ish dripper those two seem like they have nothing in common. If ya know of one that exists sure post it or PM me I’ll look it up and watch videos on it.

Sure would make testing all 900 juices I make every week easier. lol

1 Like

Haha well the link i posted is pretty close to what i’d call MTL. It’s a small drip tip with easy to close airflow.

Maybe you can start to venture into sub ohm? I think we’ve all been at this stage where we think we can’t do it.

2 Likes

I would get the CM DIY kit on ebay that @BoyHowdy just linked to…cheapest I have ever seen the V2 kit. The V2 kit has good diagonal cutters, great tweezers x2, better screwdrivers than the little blue ones (although they are only one size each, which reminds me, you will need a hex tip for most of the velocity-style posts), and the best coil jig I know of, the CM coil jig V3. Retail is $49.95, and before this above, the best I’ve seen is $33.95.

There was a link above to the CM 521 TAB for $29.95 (?)…super price ! You NEED one.

If you bought the CM DIY V2 kit and the CM 521 TAB you would hit the ground running at full speed. and I highly recommend getting both ASAP if you want to begin.

It’s a shame you no longer have a Subtank mini, I MTL them for a long time with a 1.5ohm build in the RBA. Much bigger shame…yesterday VapeHappy had the Subtank mini on sale for $9.99ea. You could have gotten TWO of them, including shipping, for less than one sells for alone. You need a separate AFC base to use to build on if you want to make it easier [Subtank mini] They are $8.95ea …the RBA’s sell for $6.95 ea. The tanks at VapeHappy were cheaper WHOLE and COMPLETE than the parts are.

Hey, just went and checked, the Subtank mini is STILL on sale for $9.99… oorah !
https://www.bevapehappy.com/collections/tanks-1/products/sale-kanger-subtank-mini

2 Likes

It’s not that I can’t do it. I don’t care for it. I have tried it on several tanks Uwell Crown
Atlantis Arctic horizon Vulcan I’m sure there’s at least one other tank I’ve owned and attempted to try sub ohming on its just not what I care for.

I do like a small non metal drip tip thou.

@ozo thank you I will look at that when I get home. So you did do a 1.5 ohm build kewl on that RBA. Does this Kanger tank leak almost all my kanger’s leak at some point.

1 Like

You could probably do MTL with an aromamizer and they are so crazy easy to build. I don’t know what people have suggested so far, but I would imagine with all but one hole closed you would get enough restriction to do MTL. It doesn’t come with a one hole band, but you could probably take a regular vape band and just use an ice pick or something to punch a hole in it. Or use the two hole ring it comes with and close it most of the way.

I do subohm and lung hit now. Sort of. I think I get better flavor with MTL so I kinda do a combo where I half lung and half MTL.

Oh, and I feel like the Magma would be the best hit for a MTL dripper. I love mine, but I don’t know that they make them like they did anymore and supposedly the v2 isn’t as good. You’re not missing much, so don’t worry. I mean, they’re great, especially for flavor testing, but I rarely use mine now that I have really good tanks. Tanks are just so easy and convenient and I’m so lazy. LoL.

4 Likes

Thanks JoJo I agree I am quite lazy once I’ve done all the work of making recipes then the juices I’m sure I’d neglect making them for a while to do some building of coils but it’s not something I want to do nonstop I like the convenience of a tank too !

Magma I am keeping all the suggestions so thanks a ton and that’s not v2 if I can find one ok gotcha.
Aromamizer I heard mixed views on as for the MTL aspect of the tank just like you said the air control and it being restrictive…also if it’s closed that tight I wonder how hot the vapor would be on a above ohm coil.

3 Likes

I have 6 Subtank mini’s and 3 Toptank mini’s The only leaks I have had in 2yrs is from operator error, and one bad seal on the AFC base.
Operator errors were mainly from learning how to wick the RBA…I have no clue why yours would eventually leak, and why they could be any different than 9 I have.
The MTL was always good with a 1,5ohm build and the AFC about half open, but I don’t remember the wattage I used, maybe around 12,5-15W ? I even built a bunch for MTL at 1.2ohm

The tools are very important to acquire, and now there are good prices. If you try to build on your mod, twist coils on a drill bit/screwdriver etc. , I will bet you will have the same frame of mind and frustration that you had before.

The right tank-RBA-RBTA-etc. will come in time, like it does simply if you use pre-made coils, although you will be able to tweak the rebuildable that you have much more to your liking than using pre-made coils…pretty much on any of the rebuildables.

If you don’t have quality tools to start [I can not stress this enough] you will not be happy. It won’t matter what tank/RBA you have.

Simple Kanthal A1 or SS316L to begin, and it is cheap…and you twist your hearts desire away…on a CM coil jig V3…and in a day or two, you will be acoiled-up, twisted fool like the rest of us…guaranteed !
Remember to always use the steam engine coil calculator…and ALWAYS test your build on a CM 521 TAB before…BEFORE you vape it.

3 Likes

I like that song !

Your accentuation on very good tools is heard my friend. I am some what of a tom boy and have always liked to work with my hands. So I respect good craftsmanship…why do you think my flavor stash resides in a 3 tier Craftsman tool box I like good stuff but it doesn’t have to be the most expensive I am not that way either just want good stuff that works the way it’s supposed to !

As for the Kangers well it is using their own pre stock coils and I’m not alone in this complaint Kangers are a leaky mess of a tank. I’m not hating on them they’re just finicky but to each their own. I have learned close all windows before uprighting your tank after you’ve filled it is the best way to stop the leaking otherwise it will and that’s Not with overfilling it. Mine aren’t clones either, well one is and it’s a POS.

2 Likes

That’s a nice tank and flavor galore I just took one out of every day use and put it away I never thought to try and build a 1.5 build on it next time I drag my old tesla out I am going to give it a try .I can not see any reason it could not be used Ml with the swirl air flow and if you not using shut the juice of can’t leak just remember to turn it back on I forgot a few times

1 Like

@Amy2 have you ever considered the Gem v2? Just bought one myself for my mtl after reading up and watching reviews. Looks like a quality bit of kit.
I’ve been using my ubertoot mainly for mtl’s and i just fancy a change. Mine should be here by weeks end so I’ll let you know what i think of it.
Hears a sneek peek. :- https://youtu.be/wTboAY0J2fg

1 Like

Thanks Pattie I’ll look into that as well. I know your a MTL vaper. I’d love to hear your thoughts on it when you’ve had the time with it.

1 Like

I got a few things coming just an update. I did buy a Kayfun Lite v4 found it pretty decent with codes around 14.99 also got a Tobeco Velocity V2 RBA I think I’ll probably hate this one but the deck seemed easy enough to start out on. Then I got a clone of a S.O.D 5k RDA double & single hole cap which this one seems more geared toward MTL but unsure how I’ll do with a vertical coil that is what looks like is a better single coil choice for this dripper. I am more so going to try on these and see where the building takes me then I can buy what I want tank wise and hopefully get a decent build on that kayfun.

Still need to get some wire & cotton. I got that DIY Kit and some better diagonal wire cutters.

What’s a good place to get some wire & cotton and not a huge amount in case I hate doing this , which I hope I don’t.

I am still looking at tanks and have all these suggestions written down TIA.

3 Likes

I am getting your care package put together now , have a few tanks going thru the USC at this moment.I found a few more that I am sending as to help you along your journey.I am including the Serpent ,Aromamizer ,and a El Diablo clone for you to try out.I played with one of the diablo’s last night and after adjusting the airflow think it may be useful for you.
I wouldn’t pick up any wire or wicking as I am including enough to get you by for a while.

4 Likes

Awesome sauce ! Thank you so much. I would offer to pay you for these but I know you already said no :wink: Thanks again looking forward to starring at them lol

2 Likes

I have had my eye on one of your mixes that I am missing two ingredients to make.How about a trade?:yum:

Almond Alfajores

Ingredient %
Almond (FA) 1
Cookie (Biscotto) (FA) 1.26
Dulce de Leche (TPA) 1
Hazel Grove (Hazelnut) (FA) 0.5
Marshmallow (CAP) 1.26
Marzipan (FA) 0.26
Meringue (FA) 2
Sugar Cookie v2 (CAP) 1.5

Flavor total: 8.77%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!
4 Likes

Excellent idea ! Just PM what ya need or I can make it & send it to ya.

4 Likes

The velocity has great air control. You can take it all the way down to literally nothing so you can switch off between MTL and lung. Best RDA I have IMO.

2 Likes

Nice ! Thank you I pretty much was going to learn to build on it but figured I may never like the draw off of it. Sweet :smile:

1 Like

20% OFF wire at Lightning Vapes

1 Like