Coil installation rig?

I see all kinds of coil building tools and have most of them. But the biggest problem for me is inserting the coil into the deck and tightening the screws. What’s needed is a clamp holder device to hold the coil+rod firmly in place so both hands are free to position the coil, wrap the leads, and work the screws.

I’m about to try to build such a thing, but would prefer to buy one. I wonder if devices from other hobbies would work? Any ideas?

4 Likes

What about using a vice to hold the rod in place?

3 Likes

Maybe something like this?

http://www.rings-things.com/Products/Double-Clip-Magnifying-3rd-Hand.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yIHJpa-fbSNQFoUOu9Oa3Cmf_FhF18_1SaNCwYmT1ji6qVnZHRpi9MaAjlfEALw_wcB

1 Like

What I need to do is break down and get a second set of rods to use without the coiling handles to help hold the coils into place.

1 Like

I just actually use the coil winder to hold it where I want.

1 Like

I found a source of rods here:

Go to the 1mm and up, but you have to buy a 10 pack.

Groove, thanks!

I’ve thought about this many times. In fact I spoke to someone on Discord about it several weeks ago. My idea comes from a tuning fork -

If you had something that would allow you to adjust the width of the tines to fit your build, which is also then attached to a base that just also happens to have a threaded 510 connector, it would make for easy work.

5 Likes

I’m impressed. Good thinkin. Love the concept. I’ll be pondering that of awhile. Bravo!

1 Like

you can buy metal or plastic knitting needles from 2mm to 4 mm …and they are cheap…I dont know if they have half sizes like 2.5mm I did not look close at them…I just happen to see them when I was getting some scissors…I think they would make a nice jig for placement since they can be cut to nay size u like…I seen the ones i am talking about at wal mart…but tons on line…here is a conversion table for the sizes… http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/needles.shtml

Amazing. Would have never thunk!

Yeah, don’t need high quality stainless steel rods just to temp hold the coil. I just discovered that coat hangers work OK. I had different weights in my closet. Looks like 2mm to 3mm, but any size small enough to fit the coil works to hold it in place. Does not need to be tight.

well the tighter the better…keeps the coil from deforming when u pull on them…as soon as i get all my stuff done this week I am going to go look at some knitting needles…just for coil placements…but they also good to wrap on also…

@alans and @Redcrown, a lot of great ideas to try for sure. Just need something without a handle that gets in the way of the screwdriver or allen wrench. I suppose I could also test out a few old drill bits as well. Got a bunch that I need to get sharpened.

I use the Coil Master things. The individual rods come out of the winder so you could just use them alone. But I use it in the winder and hold it on the opposite of the deck I’m mounting them on, then reverse it on the other side. Once you tighten one leg it’s pretty easy to realign the other leg. Of course it’s a little tedious and if there’s an easier way I’m always happy to learn, but that works for me.

It’s just on the clamp style decks that both coils have to be positioned before tightening that I could use the extra rod. And who knows, maybe that would present it’s own problem, but I would like to try it.

1 Like

Ah, haven’t had the pleasure yet.

1 Like

why clamp posts never interested me, understand flat on flat is better but looks like a worse struggle then 2 post w/ 1 hole per post. I have one of these silly guys and i suppose u could buy 2 to have 2 of the same diameter mandrel.

2 Likes

I purchased one set of these from FT.

Took my orbital sander and tapered one end of each rod, and it works great.
Should have ordered 2 sets, but one is good enough for me.

3 Likes

better option then what i linked, he could cut those puppies in half then he’d have 2 of each diameter.

1 Like