Coil installation rig?

They’re all 10cm long, great for wrapping coils, but if you cut them in half, it makes it much harder to wrap.

Eh, to each their own… Cut them ! But don’t forget to taper an end.

he wanted short ones just to hold the coil in place as he tightened the clamp

1 Like

Yeah, I thought I would like the clamp style RDAs, but they’re a real pain in the A…

2 Likes

Clamp styles are great… for single coil RDAs. I haven’t even tried using a dual coil clamp deck and I really have no desire to. Maybe I should just to confirm my suspicions … But I honestly can’t see myself having the patience for that.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with them as dual coil builds, Just push a coil into one side cut the legs to length then remove do the same for the other then slide, then put the first one back in while holding them in place with thumb and a fore finger, then tighten the clamps. Now pull away and align with a coil jig mandrel. Takes a couple minutes at the most.

3 Likes

Winner!!! At that price I can afford two sets!

2 Likes

For those kind of work, i have learned to use my penis. He is not really long, but for that he is very thin! I have to learn the hard way, (hihi, hard, hihi), that it is better to remove “the tool” first, and then start pulsing the coil. Now i have a really unique one, he look a little bit bigger with that curve branding on it.

Prototype 1. Worked very well. Just a few minor tweaks needed.

Used just two vice grips. The deck is mounted in the 510 base from an old Kanger EVOD tank. Those two extra parts in the lower left are samples of the Kanger EVOD base. The large vice grip is attached to that base. Don’t care about scratches in it, the actual deck (a Kfun clone) is untouched.

Under the small vice grip is a stack of foam core strips used to shim it up to the desired level. Could be anything handy. Use thin poster board or even paper for fine tuning the height. You could use any build deck, of course. Like a Coilmaster 510 tab or one of those wood bases I see in many videos. But it’s best to have the deck as low as possible to minimize the amount shims needed to raise the rod to the needed height.

Tweaks needed: The small vice grip is too light. Need a bigger one, or something to weigh it down. I just layed a small sandbag over it. This photo shows a piece of coat hanger for the rod. It’s slightly smaller than the 2.5mm coil. Needs to be really tight, so the knitting needle or commercial rods would be better. The rods in a Coilmaster kit are too short.

Getting the legs wrapped on the posts and screwed down was much easier for me with this rig

1 Like

https://goo.gl/images/GWu6k4

How about this? With the tool that was posted by @Plunderdrum. You could just clamp a screwdriver or I would probably prefer the short end of an L shaped alan key to place the coil on so I could really work all around it.
I just didn’t feel like digging up the alans, too lazy but this was close by.

Included a PITA RDA for size reference. Don’t mind my blackened coils on the Buddha mini. I like custards…
That RDA has a clamp on the center that really is a PITA to get those legs in right without messing up the length of the other coil’s legs. It is a bitch to clip the ends too. :rage:

3 Likes

That is great! Exactly what I was thinking when I posted that link. Cool to see it in action!

1 Like

Nothing to add but if one of you inventors has that light bulb go off in yer head…
https://www.uspto.gov/patent

I can hold 2 screw drivers each with a coil in them into the deck and tighten the post screws.

I don’t mount my coilswhile the deck is on a mod

I hold it free hand.

The other option is mount one coil.

Cut the legs and position the coil.

Then remove.

Do the same to coil 2.

But don’t remove it and mount coil 1 back into place.

1 Like

Using the Coil Master you can create “straight legs”, this should aid your coil positioning.
I find my coils don’t move about a lot once they are in position until I start tightening them, little adjustments by hand or using a jewellers screwdriver of the same ID to manipulate their position work well.

2 Likes