Competitions and giveaways - New rules

@JoJo, @Ken_O_Where and I have changed the way competitions and giveaways work. To enter a competition or giveaway you must now have a trust level of at least “Basic member”.
What does this mean? Nothing for the people who are usually browsing and replying to stuff on the forum, but for new members, they must:

• enter at least 5 topics
  • reading at least 30 posts
  • spend at leasts 10 minutes reading posts

Happy vaping!

Lars

27 Likes

Most definitely a step in the right direction. A stipulation of having to actually participate in threads rather than just reading for a few minutes would’ve been a nice addition also.

9 Likes

True. Bit that would mean a lot of manual work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I appreciate you guys putting your heads together and updating the requirements!

Personally, I think you could even tighten them up a bit more. I mean, if they can’t even “bother” to benefit from an hour of reading on here (I use bother loosely, as the reader chooses what to read after all… lol) then they aren’t worthy of sponging - oops, I mean participating in giveaways intended for the members here!! It’s not asking a lot at all IMO.h

6 Likes

The requirements are based on the trust levels instituted by the Discourse forum software. The next step up, member, takes 15 days to achieve. I appreciate not everyone feels this is enough incentive to participate. However, I feel strongly that giveaways are a great draw to the forum and putting harsher and more time consuming demands on users before they’re allowed to participate will be detrimental to growth. As it is, there has only been one obvious case I’ve seen of someone who only posts in the giveaways and I’ve been here for over two years. Now, it’s not something I’ve been intentionally looking for, but for the most part the people I see winning giveaways are almost always people I recognize.

The full specs of what it takes to gain member trust level:

• visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • casting at least 1 like
  • receiving at least 1 like
  • replying to at least 3 different topics
  • entering at least 20 topics
  • reading at least 100 posts
  • spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

I came to this forum in the beginning for a giveaway but I stuck around for the people and the relationships that developed after having entered the giveaway. I’m glad I did and I truly believe others will, too.

P.S. These are my thoughts on the matter, not necessarily @daath’s. I just felt it needed to be said.

17 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

The rules have again been updated. See here for more information:

4 Likes