Concentrates shelf life

Hello everyone was just mixing up some juice and I was thinking I wonder how long it takes my concentrates to go bad I have like a hundred flavors in a box and they’ve been there for about 3 months does anybody knowHow long concentrates are good for I know they save store your nicotine in the fridge so maybe I should put my concentrates in there too but the only problem is when I go to make a mix my nicotine is so thick it’s hard to use and I really don’t want my concentrates to be to thick

1 Like

ive had concentrates upwards of two years that are still good, i use a fridge but i know others like @DarthVapor who dont use a fridge and has said he has concentrates that hve lasted the same amount of time

2 Likes

On TPA certificates they indicate that the taste should be consumed within 9 months after the date of manufacture, however, they also say that these stored conveniently, can last up to 30 months without problem.

http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/uploads/default/original/3X/e/6/e6cadf176cf5e483f90abdb4a38dadea4db0f0c1.png

1 Like

My oldest flavors are about 4 years old now. They have lost a little potency, but not much. On average, the majority of my stash is 2-3 years old, with no issues (besides medicine flower, which are super weak now)
I would say a safe shelf life would be about 2 years, depending on the manufacturer.

I also store them on a shelf I made, that closes in the front, keeping them in the dark. I also lived on Siesta Key for the last 6 years, were humidity is high and average temps are 85. Of course my place is air conditioned, but for what that’s worth

3 Likes

I have a small stash of about 30+. Some are about a year old. I have not noticed any off smell or loss of potency. I store in a dark cupboard with a lock to keep children and fur babies out.
Here’s some more ideas :sunglasses:

http://vaping411.com/storing-e-liquid/

2 Likes

It should be noted this article is about finished juice not concentrates

2 Likes

Ooohhhh! Good call!
I’m really good at irrelevant!

4 Likes

I transfer mine from plastic to amber glass and keep them in the fridge. No noticeable decrease in thickness whatsoever. I suspect you have VG based nic there, PG based nic handles much better and even at -22 (celsius) IO have no problems. (aromas are in PG usually)

2 Likes

What about if they are in plastic bottles and not glass will they still keep for a while I just read that you shouldn’t store flavour consintrates in plastic bottles is this true? I’ve had consintrates stores in plastic for at least 3 months now and I’m only just getting started to start mixing does this mean they are all going to taste like shit now everything I’ve made so far has not been great wondering if this is why?

2 Likes

I can’t really speak to glass bottles for flavors. All my flavors are in their original plastic dripper bottles they came in. Plus I can’t give a definitive answer to shelf lives, I can only speak to my experiences.

I still have loads of flavors from my very first purchase, well over 4 years ago, and I have noticed no change in potency or recipes. The only exception is my medicine flower flavors, which drastically lose potency within a year. Those MF flavors are in glass bottles, but in my opinion that’s just a coincidence and I believe it has to do with their formulas, not the bottles.

I have been mixing with flavors that are years old for a long time now. My nicotine is also 3 years old, or older, so I wouldn’t put much concern into shelf lives. Medicine flower on the other hand, well I try to use the most I can, while I have it, so I don’t find myself wasting money on that expensive stuff!

8 Likes

Ok thankyou

1 Like

I also have flavors that are older and in original dropper bottles.

Most of them are just as new, some are even better than they were. However a few are gone bad, and these are Capella and flavor west.

Not all of course but it’s flavor depend, however I did read somewhere that these manufacturers are notorious for flavorings that won’t last in comparison to others. Not sure if it’s always true. Might have been just a fluke lol.

3 Likes

This could very well be the case. I don’t use FW, and the capella flavors I do use, don’t last long before I have to re-up (VC v1 for example). Majority of the ones I have are FA and INW with some TFA peppered here and there. The TFAs seem to hold up right along with the rest though!

4 Likes

I think the flavour deterioration from being kept in plastic is often exaggerated. Check out this thread:

Here you’ll see row upon row of little plastic flavour bottles, diligently stored (often for a year or more) by numerous old hands. I think they would have noticed by now, if the plastic bottles had half as much impact on the flavour as heat and light dol.

That said, it’s ptobably wise to transfer acidic flavours such as citrus to glass…if you can be arsed…

Oh! There you’ll also see stotage solutions that leave you green with envy! Be warned!

And please persevere.! Most folks’ mixes taste like shit at first. That’s just the way it goes. But soon you’ll mix something tasty, believe me! You’re doing the main thing right! That’s reading this forum, and absorbing the info. therein. :wink:

3 Likes

Ok @Pro_Vapes I did some digging in my email and found an exact purchase date when I got all my 15ml bottles of MF. January 2016. So pretty close to 3 years now. I also smelled all of them before I left for work this morning, and the odd thing is, each and every one of them have a strong floral scent to them. None of them smell like the fruit they used to, just a floral scent that is slightly different from bottle to bottle. Even the cantaloupe had a faint floral smell and taste, once I really got in there.

The ones I still have are fig, pineapple, mango, peach, cantaloupe, apricot (alcohol smell), nectarine and a few odd ball ones. My wild raspberry is the oldest one I have, from my very first purchase 3.5 years ago as lotus flower. This one still tastes of wild raspberry but at 2% isn’t nearly as strong as it used to be.

To answer you question of storage. I have kept all my flavors, including MF, in my homemade cabinets that have doors to keep them in the dark when not in use. I have never refrigerated any of my flavors, but given what MF flavors are, maybe that’s not a bad idea? All the rest of my flavors are still fine, and they are almost twice as old as some of my MF. There are a handful of flavors that have weakened over time, but those are mainly TFA flavors from my very first purchase a long ass time ago.

I never liked the MF mango/pineapple, so I’ll probably never touch those again, but I’m interested to know what this floral smell is all about and how that comes out in a juice. May give it a go later.

Do you keep yours in a refrigerator? That could easily be the difference between yours and mine, when it comes to MF?

5 Likes

I wonder if the ones that don’t last are the same ones that contain EM? That’s notorious for muting flavour in mixes isn’t it? could it be that it does the same work albeit more slowly, whilst still in the concentrate?

Might be worth checking.

3 Likes

Regarding MF storage: as was recently raised in another thread, flavour escaping through the porous rubber pipette bulb could be a problem there. Indeed, MF send out their most volatile flavours in closed cap bottles, with the pipette enclosed seperately, for that very reason. Which is not to say that that the less volatile flavours won’t go the same way, given enough time, is it?

Refrigeration cuts down on volatility. That’s why I refrigerate mine. But I don’t think my own observations on flavour deterioration (or lack therof) would add any useful data, because I haven’t had them that long (some are more than a year old, but nothing close to yours) and haven’t kept them any other way- at least not for long.

I’ve seriously thought of putting closed caps on the lot, just to be on the really safe side, but then your USA bottles have a different neck size than our European bottles, and it’s bloody hard to get the right size caps for them here in Britain!

Oh! and the size of the airspace at the top might make a really big difference,too, mightn’t it, such that the faster you use it the faster it deteiorates! :laughing: I’ve heard of folk transferring their MF into smaller bottles to forestall that one. Not a bad idea, but too much faff for me. And my labels smear a whole lot more easily than theirs do!

2 Likes

Yes I do… @Ken_O_Where recommended that when I 1st started using MFs.

Those are a couple I never found much use for, but I’m going try these @ a super low % to see if it help improve the flavor. I really feel I abused some MFs by mixing them too high.

5 Likes

ive always got this floral smell and taste from MF cantaloupe thats what turned me off of the flave ,…

2 Likes

Yes mango mf. One drop to a 15ml is pretty good for mango. 0.028 grams

3 Likes