Constructive Criticism

So, a few of you may notice I’ve been posting comments and ratings. My backlog is horrendous so I sincerely apologize for not getting around to doing it sooner!

In going through the recipes I’ve tried or adapted I noticed that I tend to just NOT rate or comment on ones that I didn’t like. I guess I feel bad giving a recipe low stars and I don’t want to discourage people. (EDIT: If you’ve given me juice or I’ve said I’m mixing your recipe and haven’t rated or commented yet, it’s not because I didn’t like it. More likely I just haven’t gotten there yet. LoL) So, I thought I’d ask you lovely people your thoughts. Do you post constructive criticism on people’s recipes or do you tend to stick to only rating/commenting on the ones you like? Or do you comment on recipes you didn’t care for and just don’t leave a rating? Do you wish people would post a review/comment on a recipe of yours even if it meant getting lower stars and hearing someone didn’t like what you made?

8 Likes

I for one would appreciate any comments good, bad, suggestive, whatever. Especially ideas on how to possibly improve a recipe. I don’t spend months and months perfecting a recipe. I share them if I really like them, then I move on. I do sometimes go back and play with recipes I have made in the past and try other things. If I improve I share.

As far as stars, I don’t particularly care much about them. As my recipes are made mostly for me. I share so others might get ideas from them, or maybe even enjoy what I came up with.

9 Likes

Guess I should answer my own question, too. :stuck_out_tongue: I always appreciate helpful feedback. I mean, I don’t think anyone just loves to hear that someone thinks their recipe sucks (unless they’re seriously masochistic), but if they give a reason why they didn’t like it, that makes me a better mixer. If someone made it differently and did or didn’t like it, I like to hear that, too. If it was good, it gives me ideas for changes or the chance to make it like they did. If they didn’t, it lets me know how NOT to make it. LoL.

I also don’t really care about stars either way, but if someone is gonna rate something I made poorly, it would be kinda nice to know why. If they hit and run with a 4 or 5 star, while not super helpful, that’s cool. Kinda like hitting the “Like” button on FB. But a 1 or 2 star kinda feels like a bash. It leaves me wondering why they’d make the effort to find the recipe just to rate it poorly. They were already there, is it really that much more effort to say “I didn’t like this because…”? But, like you said @LordVapor, the recipes are up to hopefully help and inspire people. I’m not looking to win any popularity contests. I’ll leave that to the superstars.

9 Likes

^^^ THIS!

I too appreciate constructive criticism on my recipes. I am always learning new ideas on how to make my recipes better.

6 Likes

Frankly with the number of recipes on this site, having a bad rating is just about as buried as having no rating. So I wouldn’t worry about not marking vs marking poorly. Some people are going to be defensive about any feedback, constructive or not, but you have to hope that the ones who appreciate it make up for the ones who can’t.

9 Likes

I never give a bad rating when I don’t like a recipe. I just don’t make it again. I’ve tried some recipes with a lot of 5 stars behind them and all I thought about them was meh. That doesn’t say anything about the quality of the recipe, just that it ain’t my cup of tea. All I accomplish with a bad rating is that the overal rating of a very well received recipe goes down and I end up on schmuck alert :grinning: No, but seriously, I just don’t see the point.

7 Likes

With the endless permutations of flavoring possibilities, coupled with the fact that taste is completely subjective, I really don’t see any point in giving a bad review. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. I personally can’t stand any type of menthol flavor - does that mean I should down-vote any recipe that has menthol in it? Of course not. Taste is about what you like, not about what someone else likes.

7 Likes

I rarely make anything someone else has posted and when i do it is because i know that i will like it as the flavorings and their respective percentages are correct.

Id prefer that a comment accompany a vote, it is what i do when i vote.

4 Likes

I admit I do start with the 5 star recipe profile first and follow some of the folks who have the gift of mixing. But there are a lot of great recipes on this site that have no stars. It’s how I found my favorite mint mix. There are always some flavors you don’t like so most of my recipes are actually hybrids of the recipes I have found here. I do a lot of “replacement” of flavors when I adapt them for myself but I don’t rate them myself at all. Maybe I should :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I won’t comment on a recipe I haven’t actually tried, unless it’s to ask a question or maybe just to note that it appeals to me and might give it a go.

I guess if I tried a recipe, 100% going by the creator’s ingredients, and found it not so wonderful, I may return to say so. But I would be constructive about it, maybe throw in a suggestion or ask wher i may have gone wrong? Have I steeped it enough etc …

6 Likes

I appreciate all constructive criticism. I do wish more people would let me know exactly how they liked or disliked my recipes and why. Especially appreciate the ‘why’ part.

I don’t appreciate people just downgrading my recipes and leaving no comment at all. That’s just rude IMHO.

I tend to not comment on recipes I didn’t like at all and I never give them a rating. I do rate recipes I like and make comments though.

7 Likes

Keyword being constructive here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I were to mix someone else’s recipe, it would be on the strength of the flavor profile.
If it wasnt to my liking, yes, that would be a subjective opinion…but it would more than likely simply be a matter of %age adjustments… at worst Id be subbing an ingredient to get it the way I like it. But, I wouldnt be mixing it in the first place unless I was pretty sure it was gunna land in my ball park. So, based on that, my review would say why I didnt like it first time around, & what I did (or, what I’d do) to make it so I liked it. But I’d also point out that “thats just me”. My adjustments may well just improve the recipe for me, however it’s possible that my adjustments could improve the recipe for the creator as well, so why not share that?

4 Likes

I get what you’re saying, and agree to an extent but if someone says their mix tastes like pumpkin pie and I try it and think it tastes like sewer rat, then I’m going to downvote the filthy m-f-er.

4 Likes

Laughed midvape and blew juice out the air holes. Asshole. :grinning:

6 Likes

sorry bout that :wink:

2 Likes

Tomorrow i will finally get to try Bust-A-Nut. Ordered everything but the butter pecan, fortunately someone had some extra to send me. Looking forward to it.

4 Likes

I think there should be a “thanks for sharing” button. Or a button that says, “I’m going to hijack the info to create something amaze’balls for me”.

I can’t really keep up with all the possible flavors. My adaptations are so off the wall that much of what I make isn’t close enough to rate the original.

I surely get good results. I love a lot of people’s recpies on here. All of which allows my to get my creative juices going allowing my to use the flavors that I have on hand.

What’s odd is that I don’t think my adaptations though should be posted to a recpie, but also not posted as my own even with other credits because I would be creating about six people per one recpie.

The other part is understanding how much work people put into posting their product of their hard work. And I know some of my wacky thoughts take away from the idea of the their creation.

Hope this makes sense. Love everybody here. Love Amy’s city’s catanooga recpie.

5 Likes

Constructive criticism NO --Well meaning constructive suggestions YES

2 Likes

I only comment and vote if I like a recipe.
I do and will offer my opinion if someone asks me to try a recipe and tell them what I think, good or bad.
If I make someones recipe and it sucks it has still helped me to understand what I need to do to make it fit my needs.I am not a professional taster nor a judge so why go there.
I hope if someone mixes one of mine and don’t like it they can at least gain something useful from it.If they offer a suggestion , wonderful! If they just downgrade it , wonderful ! I honestly don’t give a big fat rats ass about stars.
My hat is off to those who take this to another level. I do feel like I take more than I give and that is about the only reason I even put out one of my recipes anyway.Have fun that is what it is all about!!!
If you are the kind of person that can’t stand someone to downgrade your recipe I strongly suggest you not make them public.I know it is hard to believe but there are people who will stand in line for hours just to piss on your parade as you march by.

2 Likes