Constructive Criticism

Thank you so much and everyone for speaking up! I do want to try one!

2 Likes

Hey what’s not to like :wink:

As we have all heard since we started vaping “taste is subjective” I think most of us are beyond that when it comes to the recipes we created. if someone has an idea on how to make it better or made it slightly differently due to not having a certain flavor or having tried it and think it can better fit them with some changes then more power to them. And please let me know what you did, then I have the option of trying it that way or not. We are after all on the quest for the perfect flavor for our ADV’s

2 Likes

After perfecting my hardware setup …maybe “maximizing” is a better word …everything tastes amplified. Smok TF-RDTA with dual Ti coils at 0.1 ohms rayon wicking on a Cuboid TC 150. What you vape your juice in makes a massive difference. With all the possible combinations of tanks and mods that throws a huge wrench into rating consistency.

The Stars help people find a reliable juice they can make without disappointment from what they have on hand or plan to buy. Steep times make fine tuning a juice a very lengthy process, and this is what makes most Newbies drop out of the DIY scene. Waiting a month for something that sucks is like …marriage :wink:

So always remember why we need stars. They are locators for Newbs …targets for successful adoption of DIY Juice making. Constructive criticism may be the most valuable communication, but it being linked to stars should not be an automatic. The JuiceMaker needs one thing and the JuiceApprentice needs another.

The socially sophisticated end of any communication should be needs being a focus. Oh-clickers-of-stars …Oh-writers-of-Critique? Are you moving this bitch forward?

5 Likes

The JuiceMaker needs one thing
But are we really ever JuiceMakers by your standards Or is the true juice maker and ever growing JuiceApprentice? So don’t we all need to be open to learn and grow past what we are now to be a true success? I would say the JuiceApprentice that is successful more time than not and is still willing to learn is the true master.

3 Likes

90% of the time I adapt recipes to my liking. I won’t comment or rate them because I’ve seen that people get kinda touchy about changes to their creations. I get it. If I follow a recipe to the T and I like it, I will comment and rate it. I personally don’t care if folks comment on my stuff or not. I don’t think I have “the chops” for mixing original stuff with the exception of one or two here and there - and those aren’t head turners. With that said, if someone RESPECTFULLY makes a suggestion, I will listen and give it a shot. I realize respect can be subjective, but I’m old school and believe if you can’t say anything nice…
I never liked the term “constructive criticism” the word criticism triggers an immediate negative context and a feeling of superiority to me. I prefer “suggestion”. But that’s just me. I’m nuts and nothing I say should be taken seriously :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Comments are there for people to… well… comment.
Ratings… I dont care for stars…

The type of comment people leave is out of our control, if its a really nasty comment im sure the recipe creator will let a mod know and maybe it would be removed, if its a thanks then good job, if its a constructive comment like "I lowered the flavor percentage and it has a better taste for me or i added this flavor and it tastes like X " then thats great it gives the original recipe maker something to try and maybe it makes the recipe even better or appeals to another person.

Its all good imo and no-one should take what others say personally or feel disheartened by someone not liking their recipe, after all we make recipes for us first.

For every dislike there are 10 likes, enjoy what you do, have fun with it and share if you may.

Happy Vaping!

6 Likes

I’m fairly new at mixing and haven’t posted any recipes but when I do id really love to hear the truth about my recipe. That way I can improve and learn from people with more experience than me.
I’ve been here long enough to notice that there are some really awesome people here! I’d be happy to hear “constructive critiques” from all of you when I finally do post something.

3 Likes

I dont know if it’s because the juice is free, or folks are just being polite, but, ALOT of people like my efforts. I’ve been mixing for a little over a year now, have learned a Great deal, and have a long way to go. After dozens of recipes (some pretty good) I posted a recipe that is popular with friends & family. In the notes I asked if anyone tried it, to please give me their opinions…good or bad. I was curious as to people’s thoughts. Right, wrong, or indifferent, most of my recipes are in the 16% - 22% total flavoring range. They suite my tastes, and several people who, like most of us, have spent a Great deal of money on lesser quality juice. This recipe was viewed 174 times and had (1) comment. Unfortunately, the comment was sarcastic and rude! They told me, and I quote, " why would you be so stupid to waste flavors to make a 100ml batch of juice at 21% ". The recipe was tweaked probably 8 - 10 times to get to the end result. I know this experience DOES NOT reflect the majority of most of the ELR group! This is a Great site, and I really enjoy it. I took it down and haven’t posted any other recipes since. But, as taste is subjective , so are people’s opinions. I’ve never tried another recipe, mine are original. I’ve seen MANY that look amazing, just not taken the time to try one. If or when I do, if I like it, I will praise it and it’s owner, and if I don’t like it, I’ll keep my opinion to My self.

3 Likes

@Pap that person who wrote that isn’t giving you constructive critiquing by saying that at all. Thats more like destructive criticism. I’m so sorry to hear that someone did that to you. I’m sure you have some really awesome recipes by now! I’d like to try some of your juices. I’m sure you have alot to share.
Maybe people giving sarcatic and crappy remarks shouldn’t be on thos site in the first place!

4 Likes

@Pap

Laugh and reload my friend.

We are living in a world where etiquette is a thing of the past. You keep doing what you’re doing. You can’t let one unknown override what people who have actually tried your stuff say.

If you have something that works for you plenty would be interested to learn from it, including myself. It’s great to learn from others what works for them and then apply to my own mad ideas!

6 Likes

You can’t really look a how many people might have viewed your recipe as the same as how many might have viewed your recipe and then made it. If I’m looking for something, I might look at a dozen similar recipes and see what people are using (what percentages, which manufacture/brand, how similar it is to another etc). I do the same thing when cooking, I look at a half dozen recipes and see what they say… cooking times, oven temps, ingredients… even for something as simple as baking a potato, one person suggests 325 for 90 minutes while another 375 for 45 minutes. It really doesn’t matter if someone gives out a bad review, I don’t think it would be nice on the receiving end of it esp if it was the only review… but it really doesn’t matter, yeah I know… easy for me to say, it wasn’t my recipe that was getting hit on. But nobody here is pointing their finger at you and whispering in pm “Hey look over there… that’s the guy that had a recipe slammed…” (Well not now anyway, we’ve switched over to the Freaky Friday thread instead).

2 Likes

dont be discouraged , there are assholes in every group ( i can come across as one often ) just keep plugging away there are threads here for you to post your recipes and you wont get treated rude , new or old , rookie or master mixer ( lol ) your mixing so habe fun with it and keep your head up and if you ever want someone from elr to try a recipe and give you an honest opinion post and ask someone will take you up on it and give you an honest opinion without being a dick

4 Likes

this is how i learned to mix

2 Likes

@Jazzy_girl thank you for the kind words. If you’ll let me know a flavor profile you like, and ratio you prefer I’ll gladly send you a Big bottle of juice with the recipe free of charge.

3 Likes

@Tupoar, @fidalgo_vapes, @CallmeTut, thanks for the encouragement! I’m an old man, I’ve been around the block a couple times, have pretty thick skin and all that. Lol. I never get discouraged, it just pisses me off some people are so negative when it’s usually easier to have a positive outlook. Especially when they obviously don’t have a clue about what they are talking about. Thanks again guys !!!

1 Like

Pap
Come down to the dark side. My blends are so deep, dark and off the wall I don’t expect many will even attempt them let alone comment besides a rousing round of EWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Like you I’m an old one and I really don’t give two shits if anybody likes my blends or not.
What might have ticked me off 20 years ago just doesn’t matter now as I chalk comments like that up to the under 40/50/60 crowd. Still unfinished humans from my viewpoint. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pap thats awesome!! I really like cereal, breakfast, and bakery profiles at max vg. Thanks I totally appreciate it !

Alisa, its because of people like you and several others is the reason I got into DIY. I do appreciate all who have contributed to this site. As far as your recipes, I prefer Bust-a-nut with TFA flavors instead of flavor west. Pecanilla is also great, as I have had others request that I make them some.

7 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know, Ken

2 Likes