Converting the Mrs

One of the main reasons that I have up smoking is that I’d like to be in a reasonable state of health as my young daughter grows up. I also don’t want her to see daddy smoking and think it’s okay.

Sadly, my Mrs refuses to give up. She loves the taste of tobacco too much. She’s tried vaping before but failed miserably.
I think once I start mixing i might be able to convince her to become a taste tester but has anyone else faced a similar kind of resistance?

5 Likes

Has she tried vaping tobacco eliquid? If she has, then she’s just not ready yet. Also when I tried, vaping mtl set ups really is what worked for me. Specifically the Aspire Nautilus in the 12-15w range. With RY4 tobacco eliquid. It’s the only liquid I would touch the first year.

It took me 3 times of trying to quit with vaping before it actually took. Maybe sharing my story with her will help? I had to break the news to my children when they were 5-9 years old that I had cancer. And promise them I wouldn’t die like Grandma and Grandpa did with their cancer. They understood that cancer was bad and it had already taken their grandparents.

Please look at my bio, and share it with your wife. I have been fighting cancer since June 11, 2009.

My youngest child is entering his senior year of high school in September, and I WILL be there to see him graduate.

Everyone has to make the choice for themselves, but usually the more we are told we “should” do something, the more we dig in our heels. My kids pleaded with me almost daily for over a year before I was able to do it. I thank them all the time for not giving up until I gave the stinkies up.

17 Likes

My dear @MysticRose,

If your story does touch a nerve (it’s touched a few of mine already) then nothing will.

Thank you, and if you believe in the spiritual side of life I be sending you a little something every day.

Stay strong x

15 Likes

Your wife, when she is ready, might be a good candidate for WTA juice. You could start her off with some premade juice and then move over to making NET for her yourself. It’s very inexpensive and actually fun to produce your own extract. :grinning:

Start here:

http://www.aromaejuice.com/WTA-FAQ-WTAFAQ.htm

Big thread here:

Good luck! :innocent:

8 Likes

It also took me a good 3 years of on and off vaping and smoking to finally quit for good. I started vaping in 2009 but the equipment back then wasn’t so great. Getting a better setup and making my own juice really helped keep me on the path. Now, it’s been almost 5 years since I’ve had a cigarette and it’s amazing. I never thought I’d make it. Cigarettes were my best friend and no matter how much I hated them at times and how much I knew I needed to quit, I just couldn’t kick it.

I agree with what has been said here. Make sure she’s got a good setup that works for her, and then experiment with some tobacco liquids. Then just wait. No vape is going to be exactly like smoking and she’s gonna have to want to switch. All you can do is give her the tools and encourage her to keep trying. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Very similar story here for me. My wife is still smoking and had tried vaping back when I did the switch to vaping, but it was just not for her.

Why? and what I have learned now that she is actually vaping to try and quit smoking. Currently down from a pack a day to 4 cigs a day.

For the why part it was the fact that we did not know she Direct Lunged cigarettes for 40 + years and everything I was buying back then was for Mouth to Lung to suit my need to replicate the way I smoked. I honestly never realized that was the way she smoked.

The statement @JoJo made above was the most important thing we did to get her using a vape successfully

.[quote=“JoJo, post:5, topic:136164”]
Make sure she’s got a good setup that works for her,
[/quote]

Jo Jo also nailed it with this

Now with my Wife it was not the tobacco flavors that worked for her, we tried thinking it would work. I do my own NET’s and even though she liked them it was the fruity type vapes that worked better for her. This may or may not be the case for your wife but one thing I am 100% sure of is she has to be ready to make the switch first.

If you can convince her to do taste testing for you it would be a step in the right direction. The most important first step would be to find a set up that she likes to use and actually enjoys using. Once you find that it is just a matter of you then making that 1 juice that just does it for her.

10 Likes

Some people tried vaping one time and that was it…instantly off smoking. Others had to experiment, twiddle, fart around and otherwise tinker with all aspects of the whole thing to find out what works. Plain and simple - if someone doesn’t want vaping to replace smoking, it ain’t gonna happen. Still, I contend there’s the right vape, nic strength and vape style unique to everyone that is most conducive to success. For me it was when I switched to sub ohm vaping. I went to the vape shop and bought a Sigelei 100w mod and Aspire Atlantis tank, along with a bottle of 6mg juice. It was a 20 minute ride back to my house, and in that 20 minutes I went from a failure to full blown non-smoker. Oh this was after a few years of trial and error vaping. It just was the perfect combination. Had I stuck with the other things I was using it’s doubtful that quitting would have happened at all. So maybe get her to try various combinations of liquids, tanks, flavors and nic strength. Maybe even dripping! If she wants to quit - well it’s worth the effort. If she doesn’t though then no amount of finagling will make it happen.

I did this. For several months my wife would be my taste tester. A couple months ago I made an apple dumpling juice and had her try it. This flipped a switch for her and she’s been vaping it ever since - and no smoking. Just never know what’s going to be the thing that turns it all around for someone.

9 Likes

When we were approached about vaping by my oldest son we were both skeptical. But I thing I was more intrigued than wifey. As we talked we came the agreement that we’d give it a try and if nothing else maybe we could cut down a little, maybe prolong our lives a little. Be around for our grandkids for a little longer. Well from Christmas till Feb 25 that’s what I did on that day I just didn’t smoke and haven’t ever even wanted to since then. It took wifey a little longer but on March 15th she went the same route that was over three years ago and we’ve been lovin every minute of it. My only suggestion is to let it happen that old adage of you can lead a horse to water is so true. Just get her to try your creations leave it where if and when she wants some she can just pick it up. If you smoke in the house or car see if maybe you can talk her into not doing it in one or he other and vape there instead

8 Likes

I was reading earlier about how some have found that it’s not cheaper than smoking. Well I think the problem there is wanting every new mod that comes out. Find one you really like and one that will do use them. watch for and enter every contest you see. I as of today have won

Dovpo
VTR
XCube 2
Evic Mini
Vapresso
Treebox
Tesla
Neptune hybrid * 2
Colored mech
Penquin
Movkin Luggy
MOvkin Disguiser
4 ego style mods that I’ve given away to entice someone into vaping
Plus 2 I gave my son and can’t even remember what they were.
About 14 or 15 tanks.

I quit entering for juice when I found my true flavor profile I have probably thrown away a gallon of juice
My vaping is much cheaper than smoking.

5 Likes

I started testing e-cig’s in 2008. Initially, it was those short cigarette-look-alikes that didn’t last long and weren’t refillable. Chinese rubbish, although I have to admit flavor wise, they were a match for my marlboro reds, but throat hit and nicotine amount were a bit miserable.
So much more than a gimmick, it was not. Availability was a problem as Amazon stopped selling them pretty fast after I received the first ones.

The next try was around 2011 or 2012. My wife doesn’t smoke, has asthma triggered by smoke and we were driving long distances by car… I needed something to keep my addiction cool so I got myself a slightly bigger vapor pen which was refillable. It was rechargeable and lasted a couple hours before having to charge it for 5 hours or so. It was a good in between but seriously, not a replacement for my addiction.
I was used to small cigarettes in handy packs and walking around with a big fat mod wasn’t what I had in mind so there was no way these things could stop me from vaping.
After a short while, the liquid started to melt the plastic, it started leaking and replacement parts weren’t very cheap. In other words, inconvenience, not the greatest vaping experience and price kept me on cigs.
However, I kept having one or 2 of these things at hand, basically just for use in the car with my wife. It sure did make things a lot easier and didn’t require me to stop so often in frustration to have a smoke in the cold, rain and wind. My wife also appreciated me not smelling of smoke so she didn’t get as sick in the car anymore. They also worked great for stealth vaping on a plane, but ssshhhh, don’t tell anyone :slight_smile:
So far, all juices I vaped had been tobacco flavors. One better than the other, but they all had a bit of a funky taste, a sweetness I didn’t appreciate at all and I would long for a real smoke with a real smoky flavor.

Then in october 2016, I said F$% it and bought a mod with rechargeable 18650 and 2 different juices. One was tobacco again, and again I had issues with its flavor. But since the mod finally produced a decent amount of vapor, I got the throat hit, I got the nicotine delivery I was looking for, and it did the trick.
However, I also asked for a different flavor when I bought the mod. Vanilla must be my all time favorite flavor I could never live without, so I asked the shop for the very best, naturally tasting Vanilla juice and they gave me a juice from the California Vaping Company that tasted like a real home made vanilla bean extract, natural, clean, strong and I was sold. I barely even touched the tobacco juice I bought as well. From that day, I quit smoking while my only intention was to have a satisfying vape when driving with my wife.

Even though your wife may be looking for her tobacco flavor, it might be that something else that satisfies her will do the trick, just like it did with me. You have to find a juice, a quality flavor profile that she really enjoys.
Tobaccos are popular flavors with vapers, but you’re never going to get that authentic smoking experience from a vape. Replacing one flavor with another one that your wife even loves more will do the trick, it’s just a matter of finding which flavor that is.

Having her work as a flavor tester while you’re mixing is obviously an ideal situation. One day you’re going to mix up something that she really likes, and if you have a decent mod/dripper/tank/whatever she prefers ready for her to take, she may be sold and leave her fags aside.

8 Likes

Everything everyone here is saying is where it all gets real. I took me a long time to not smoke and vape most of the time… this is hard.

I’ve been playing this game with my sister for 4 years. I finally got her the “right” wattage, coil and flavors where she “enjoys” vaping. She still smokes 5-6 cigs a day but it is better than a pack.

My kids also backslid a couple of months ago and they have been vaping for 3 years with no butts. It’s a give and take and hope for the best situation right now. I would rather they not smoke but judging them…? No, that doesn’t work.

Keep trying to get her the right flavor and ask her to taste it, maybe. That’s part of how I got my sister to consider trying again.

Breathing problems are one of those things that will make a person want to vape instead of smoke… and trust me, smokers all have those problems in the spring and the fall lol

8 Likes

Firstly, a huge thanks to everyone that has responded. Really do appreciate the advice.

I guess it’s going to be a case of a bit of column A and a bit of column B as I know how long it took me to finally switch over and my Mrs can be… somewhat stubborn. In no way can i preach as that be the fastest way to get my Mrs to put on the ear muffs and start humming the theme tune to Star Wars (she hates Star Wars btw!)

I’ll lead the horse to water with the taste testing and go from there.

Thank you guys.

Peace x

7 Likes

@Tupoar, you’re gonna find so so many stories as yes, I have one as well, but thats not important. What is important is the trueness to your Mrs that I am admiring. I’ve seen, read, heard and talked about most of these same things but the biggest and best story is what I have found right here in this Forum…SUPPORT!!! We as former smokers, plain juice junkies, weirdo’s or whatever can say, relate, translate and share but nothing to me is more important than support. I am personally blessed to be off of cigarettes after 43+ years. I have no idea how long I have left and don’t care. It’s the idea of the QUALITY of Life I’m striving for, not the Quantity. I hope and pray that she will see the much better benefits she’ll gain from stopping smoking and start vaping. Some if not many want to place blame on things for the “Why” they’re doing/have done but the more important thing there also is, What are you gonna do about it? Well my friend, You Are Doing It by reaching out, telling, asking and seeking HELP and you’ll get it because thus whole crazy community is about this. Just plain and simple SUPPORT. Call us the support group of the New Millenia,lol,but it’s definitely working for most if not all. I personally wish you and her well in this challenge and please call on me for thise moments when your not sure which way to turn. But don’t be surprised or upset when a ton of US chime in. Please keep us updated and let us know how it goes. We’ll celebrate with you both!!

5 Likes

Shhhh… this is a secret…

My husband can be a huge pain in the ass with my vaping and was/is with smoking. He’s never happy. He didn’t want to pay for the cigarettes I smoked outside and now he can’t stand a room full of vapor.

I don’t think I need to tell you how these things go in relationships but… stubborn is a very nice way of explaining it :slight_smile:

The day my sis called me after a camping weekend of her hitting off my mods a few times and said “I have been thinking and I want to try that vaping thing again”… In the back of my mind I was thinking… “wow cool” but in the front of my mind I was thinking “Oh, here we go again, I’m gonna give her another $180.00 worth of batteries, mods and tanks and she’s gonna smoke anyway”.

So I just said flatly… " I will happily give you this stuff and make all the free liquid you will ever need but do you really mean it this time?" She said … well, I can’t chuck those huge clouds you do but yes I really want to try…" So I hooked her up with Cleito’s and a couple of mods and very low nicotine liquid. She’s vaping away and she’s even upped the power level on the mods. She likes the custard vapes, doesn’t care for the fruity stuff and menthol and even learned how to change her own coils.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed this time but cigs are force to be reckoned with, completely legal and sold everywhere right next to a check out counter tempting people. God knows it is hard to jump off that cliff and walk away. Good luck, my friend!

7 Likes

Yeah what he said and so much more. We are one together. We don’t judge or criticize. We praise and pray. We stand together and hold each other up when needed, and we all need it at times. I’ve used every excuse in the book to start smoking again. Now looking back I realize I wasn’t weak as my exwife (who by the way couldn’t go more than a couple hours without having a pepsi in her hand) kept telling me everytime I started back up. I got very good at hiding it from her. Most thought I was in some way cheating on her. And if so then so be it. I hid it from her because I just got so tired of the whining nagging bitching non-stop about it. Not the reason for the end of my marriage but it ended non the less. Wifey now is a fellow vaper and that’s not to say she is a fellow by any means. lol she is all woman. Anyway I guess all I’m really saying is as long as you support one another you’ll do fine. We’re here for both of you.

6 Likes

Just get her in here already; we’d turn her head around in no time :smile:

Best of luck!

4 Likes