Coroner's Corner: Issue #1 Smok Alien ...the autopsy begins

How the heck did it get up there!?!?! Crazy, but the review doesn’t lose credibility or awesomeness because of a hiccup!

3 Likes

Don’t apologize! You are still doing a huge service here and every who has commented or liked has enjoyed this. Admitting that you were incorrect is admirable and refreshing! I like your post even more because of the depths you are going to on this!

4 Likes

Fun fact, which I ran into when I had one of these… things. Revision A aliens can also have the following chip ID which is not in their ini file and must be added before the nuvoton updater will detect it… I mentioned it to them a couple times months ago (after a couple days messing around), but apparently it’s too difficult to edit a text file or reply to support requests.

[0x40022000]
NAME_STRING = NUC220LE3AN
RAM_SIZE = 4
FLASH_SIZE = 128

Or you can just… build this newer version of the tool which detects and works with them all with an internal chip database (no external ini file)… but doesn’t load .hex properly last I tried (A is distributed as .hex B as .bin, conversion between is easy with most hex editors).

Anyway keep at it and thanks for sharing your findings, glad I caught a reminder with this thread as I had noticed the request thread a while back and it looked fun. Side note: wismec predator has a similar form, and you can find a ‘jean rivet’ in those too! But, to be fair, it is much better isolated from the rest electronics up there than Alien.

3 Likes

My baby Alien lasted three months. I guess the leaky tanks now and then fried it. Never a Smok again, Kanger and Eleaf have been rock solid for me.
Wish I could fix it but I think it’s toast.

1 Like

Wanna thank you again @Sprkslfly
Its like i have 2 brand new aliens!!
You are amazing! I hope your endeavours go awesome!

5 Likes

My pleasure ma’am! =)
Happy that I was able to help, and I appreciate your support!

“Community update”
(for those not yet aware…)
I’ve got a couple more Aliens to try and gather some more details on, but life as I knew it came to a screeching halt on Nov. 22 (the day before Thanksgiving). I was hit by another driver, and I sustained substantial injuries, as well as the vehicle I was in was totaled. I’m blessed to be alive, but due to limited mobility, I’ve been unable to do much of anything.

I definitely have more to come, but it’s all been delayed by circumstances well beyond my control. I’ve not forgotten about Coroner’s Corner, and I’m still very interested in anything folks want to send. But I haven’t even started rehab yet. So, I’m just trying to be up front, and let folks know it’s going to take a bit. I will continue the series though!

18 Likes

Just heal and get better. We’ll be waiting when you feel up to it.

11 Likes

Had no idea. Get well. Best wishes and prayers.

12 Likes

sry to hear and hope rehab gets u 100%. The mods are dead and can be resurrected later fix yourself first!

10 Likes

I didn’t know either. I feel pretty bad about arguing with you about weight/volume mixing now. Get better, and glad to hear it’s the mods still on the table getting autopsied and not you.

8 Likes

@Sprkslfly So sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself! Wishing you a full recovery :hugs:

7 Likes

Best wishes for a good recovery and subsequent PT.
Push hard on the therapy, from my experience it’s the best time and chance at the fullest return to good health. I fell three stories at work years ago breaking bones and fracturing my neck. It was a real blessing to get very good therapists that pushed me to the edge.
Prayers for you and your family during this hard time.

4 Likes

I very much appreciate your sentiment!
As do I, but to be honest, I’m extremely nervous about this (as it’s been one complication after another), but I’m trying hard to remain faithful, and “not let fear overwhelm”.

But like those who’ve sent things in, I’m more than (churros -seriously auto-correct?? LMAO) curious to know what information or assumption(s) can be extracted from assessing multiple failed units.

Besides which (and probably more importantly), I’m dying for something constructive to focus on!

You can only watch so much Netflix, or browse the forum so long before you climb the walls. :wink:

7 Likes

Pffbbt. Come on now! No need for that. I’m not mentally crippled (contrary to some folks thoughts LMAO), only physically, and hopefully, only temporarily!

Besides which, I always appreciate an honest and heartfelt exchange. Besides, positions (and misunderstandings) were clarified, and we both walked away better understanding one another. In addition to which, it led to getting better acquainted, and furthering a friendship!
All “wins” in my book! :wink:

You and I both!! You have No idea how accurate and truthful that statement is!!
(Once the “smoke clears”, I’ll share pics of the extent)

6 Likes

Glad you disclaimed it. Someone would have chimed in for sure!!

4 Likes

Sounds like you had some Guardian Angels looking out for you too! :thumbsup: Glad you’re still alive and kicking as well!

Appreciate the support.

4 Likes

I’m catching up… sorry to have missed this when fresh. Post Mortems are clearly needed, maybe even a niche for Fresh hardware reviews …take 'em all the way down? Post Mortems are maybe better because they show how you can expect your finish to age. Unfortunately you can’t garner that information until months after people are making those buying decisions.

Also I can’t imagine a Manufacturer sending you brand new Mods for internal exams like a regular Reviewer does look/feel evals. Who would want to subject themselves to that backseat QC? I bet other reviewers start thinking about it tho! However this write-up stands on it’s own, and great work!

Also was unaware of your automotive misfortune! Holiday time people lose their minds and drive like Fools. Hope your mostly recovered after this 90 days.

I just fixed my own LUX 215. it was just juicy and easily disassembled/reassembled. I avoid concentrated alcohols (90%) for cleaning because they are too solvent especially on PCB varnishes. 100 Proof Vodka however works well at cleaning out juice from buttons and not doing damage to plastics/finishes, then drying without residue.

So, thanks for this! Verry cool …sorry I took so long to read …just before T-Giving I ran into Santa Claus …He’s a Slave Driver …just ask those Elves (who by all accounts don’t get paid anything). Here’s hoping you’re all patched up :hugs:

5 Likes

Pre-mortem call it a open mod check up to make sure i know whats going on there in case resurrection is needed and to see expected life or issues. It’s not an Alien but alien to most

https://i.imgur.com/KxSRKRy.jpg

3 Likes

I think straight reviewers might shy away from cracking a mod open as a standard part of the review process because it might get them blacklisted re: receiving any more freebies. Funny since it should/could be a selling point! “Look at the insides of this Beast! Stout!”

3 Likes

I would have greater respect for the brands that allowed it, as far as the reviewer, they get the shit for free, i got that as a prize so wth not, right

3 Likes