Cotton/ Wick Longevity

Believe you me, I’ve tried. I’ve used densities that barely touch all the inside of the coil, give a little resistance, a snug fit (listening for that squeeking noise) all the way to the point where I could barely get it through the coil. I’ve used long tails, short tails, trimmed (in all shapes and sizes), Like with cotton, less seems to work better than more for me and this goes in against what everyone says. That’s why I find it such a frustrating material. From what I’ve tried, snipping the tails has in influence when it comes to wicking, not so much on the flavor but the density in the coil really dictates the amount of flavor you’re getting through.

I’ve given it almost 100 puffs now, it has become better but I can still taste the off note from rayon in it.
I really do hope I meet someone with experience with rayon one day so he/she can show me how it’s properly done .

1 Like

I guess that just makes you rare and special :blush:

4 Likes

I’m starting to get that feeling… would be nice to be “normal” sometimes lol

1 Like

Eh. I think an aversion to rayon is fairly small potatoes in the grand scheme of life. :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s so strange, is it possible that you are perceiving an off flavor because your not getting a background flavor you would get from the cotton?

2 Likes

I use a wickless coil as a point of reference, both with cotton and rayon, so I don’t think so.

3 Likes

I have no idea what to tell you, I know I personally get no off flavor from it like I do from the break in of cotton.

1 Like

I just figure I’m weird with rayon, so be it… everyone’s different. I’ll still advise people to give it a try because a lot of people love it and swear by it.

2 Likes

has all of your rayon come from the same place? I just wonder if it wasn’t contaminated.
I have heard of people boiling there rayon to prep it, apparently you just toss a piece in and jet it boil for like five min and pull it out and press it dry. I don’t know how this works as I have never done it but it may help, worth a shot IMO.

1 Like

It has crossed my mind and I’ve been wanting to do this.
Thanks for reminding me, i’ll give it a go :slight_smile:

(yes, all came from 1 place)

1 Like

If memory serves you are in the U.K. So sourcing rayon is a PITA, I know all the rayon I found in the U.K. That’s not from eBay is a cotton blend, I wonder if there are any U.K. Members that can help you find a good source.

Well we can now get 100% rayon from cellucotton but it’s a bit more expensive than in the US. There should be other and cheaper sources if you’re looking for Viscose but it’s not an easy search (mostly refers to clothing). I’ll probably give it another go one day but it’ll have to wait for now.

I’ve got quite a big sample of hemp now thanks to therabidweasel (who’s on a quest to convert everyone here to hemp), so I think I’m going to give this a go first.

3 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed the Texas Tuff Wix as of late… I think you can only get it on eBay and the cost is very comparable to cotton bacon. :wink:

1 Like

I have a sample of it and haven’t used it yet. From what I can tell it is very fine and similar to rayon. I may give it a try tonight.

I’m all for hemp I’ll try it if I come across it…;))

I just ordered some rayon yesterday should be in tomorrow how is the flavor with rayon

How brave are you? :grinning:
Have a read through everything you could possibly learn about rayon lol

This is THE rayon thread of all times, a full 751 pages long. Don’t think this is it. To keep it manageable they started a 2nd thread on it too :+1:

Shouldn’t be that difficult, just PM @therabidweasel and he’ll help you get started.
Also check out his hemp tutorial on this forum.

I also use a MTL take it’s the aspire Nautilus 2 I tried to rebuild my coils there the bvc coils I used 26 gauge Kanthal but for some reason it has a weird kind of burnt cotton taste or something I’m using organic Japanese cotton sheetsUntreated I even torched the coil thinking there might be residue on it I kind of gave up on rebuilding them I did like 10 coils and they all came out with that weird tasteCould it be the cotton that I’m using I got it from my local vape shop

1 Like

Definitely could be the cotton. I find cotton also has a foul taste when breaking in

1 Like