Custard Lover ( I think I will marry it )

Thank you! I’ve been wondering about the Catalan vs Vienna Cream. Maybe both then, huh? I have a feeling my budget is shot. Nothing new there, lol.

3 Likes

Catalan cream is more of a caramelized sugar and cream, where as vienna is a unique, and very potent, cream. Both are very good, but not really comparable with each other

5 Likes

@Z_Hobbit what DarthVapor said. He is after all the Lord, albeit Dark Lord, of creams and custards.

• Don’t forget, if you go to the resource page, there are coupon codes for some of the sites that sell concentrates.
3 Likes

If I wanted to get only 5 and was aiming for a heavy custard, mine would be

CAP Vanilla Custard V1
LOR Bavarian Cream
TPA Vanilla Custard (people are gasping right now, but it’s a decent custard and egg-heavy if you like that sort of thing)
FA Vienna Cream
FA Catalan Cream

This is an interesting topic and opinions will certainly vary.

4 Likes

I have a love hate relationship with this flavor, more hate, than love. I get a very peppery flavor from this flavor most of the time, which really sucks because it is, or would be, the closest to a real (french) custard you could get. I have been able to make a few mixes where this doesn’t happen, but for the most part, I get a peppery taste to it :frowning:

I have heard this from a lot of people, so I know it’s not only me. I’m still trying to figure out what hides this, so I can use it more. The only recipe I have made work without this pepper taste is my peach-kiwi swirl, otherwise it sits on the shelf…all 4oz of it :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m lucky enough not to have experienced that. I’ve heard the same about TPA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Maybe I’ve just not used in high enough quantity to get there.

Have you tried adding Vanillin when using TPA VC? I’ve found it tones down a lot of harshness - for me at least. And I’m not referring to VC, just in general - especially with any creams and also with some fruits.

1 Like

For some reason I get it at all %s…1,2,3,5%, doesn’t matter. I really like that flavor too, if it wasn’t for the damn pepper note! I use to use vanillin like crazy and yes, I agree with you there. Sadly I found that the EV/Vanillin muted my flavors over time, much like EM, and I strayed away from using it.
The next free moment I get, I may pull the TFA VC back down and see if I can tweak a base out of it or something. It’s the only flavor I have that I get an off taste with :frowning:

2 Likes

I find the eggy flavor very desirable in some recipes. If I knew one that was like that but, well, just better I would get it :slight_smile:

Speaking of getting flavors, I really need to get the new RF Vanilla Custard. And about 500 other flavors :grimacing:

6 Likes

Got ahold of some flavors from Belgium… 2 different Custards steeping as we speak…They smell fricking awesome…nothing like the Custards I am used to vaping…2 to 3 weeks out until I try them…Look forward to them… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s it? That’s all you’ll say about them, no brand, nuthin? Aw man that ain’t right! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Everyone’s getting new avatars too! You, Scottes777… I’m beginning to wonder if there’s something in the water, or a full moon, or…
Lol

I just get bored with myself.

No… Southern…I was in a hurry and just saw the topic…didn’t have time to elaborate…had one foot out the door…Didn’t wanna lose the thread…Flavor Monks…in Belgium…They are a flavor house which started in Jan 2016 and I stumbled onto them online…I Ordered a few of their flavors…Some which are the standards…Strawberry, Forest Fruit, and the basics…but they also have some very unique flavors…A Praline, 2 Custards…G’s Custard (which smells Awesome) and a Divine Custard which also smells excellent…But one that I am really lovin now…vaped 30 mls so far is a Candy type Raspberry…but doesn’t have the typical candy vape profile…It’s called Cuberdon…a Belgian cultured candy…vapes unlike any Raspberry I have had…Very multilayered sweet raspberry cream/ raspberry fruit shell…vape…unbelievable flavor…They have a variety of Gin.Fruit blends…Very popular in Europe now.and a few florals… I ordered on my 1st order the Strawberry (smells pure authentic strawberry)…Cuberdon…Praline, which is also an interesting departure… of that Brown sugar kinda coating that you combine with pecans…and the 2 Custards… I will share a link here shortly…In addition, they sent me 37 total 1 ml samples of their entire flavor line…and I am mixing and steeping as we speak…Got a cherry goin, which is, again a departure from what I have ever had…The G’s Custard (a vanilla custard) just smells …it’s hard to explain…I can tell that it will NOT be a chalky skank vape…it has an inherent sweetness, that I am gonna vape StandAlone, but can already tell that these are also gonna be great mixers… The Forest Fruit vapes very similar to FA Forest Fruit with a few differences…Where the FA Forest Fruit is somewhat a tart dark berry vape…Flavor Monks Forest Fruit is a tad bit sweeter and hedges towards the brighter berry taste…Very unique…but a great vape…I am 2 weeks into the steep of the G’s Custard…and just mixed the 1 ml sample of the Divine custard…considered to be a buttery Custard…I will be giving them 4-6 weeks steep time…The site does have flavor % recommendations and minimum steep times…Steep recommendations are a bit short, as I will be giving these 3 weeks for the basic flavors…Strength of these flavors is solid…similar to FA…and there is no chemical note to speak of…A little harsh if not steeped properly, but quite a cultural experience… A little more expensive, and customs will get their hands on them, and it took shy of 3 weeks to get the flavors…at my door via post office…I will be sharing my tasting notes as I mix and test along the way…and will absolutely give my impressions of the Custards here…and out of respect for this thread, will start another Flavor Thread for the remaining ones…I hope this helps you out…it is certainly a pleasant adventure for me…If you see anything on the site that peaks your curiosity…let me know, I can mix it and get it into steep…

I don’t wish to de-rail the Custard thread, but since I found these Custards in Belgium, I couldn’t resist sharing my vape experience with some of the others…which portends excellent Custard flavor from these flavors

6 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I will certainly look into them.

4 Likes

Based on my insight as to how a lot of you mix, my guess is that the 10% recommended flavor %s that they put on their site (except Mocha) you may find you might use less than 10%… I am a high flavor % mixer and found 10% to be good for me on the Cuberdon and am mixing all testers StandAlone at 10%… I do know, that I will make adjustments from there on a few flavors, but in my early experience with these flavors I believe the recommendations are close for me (being a high flavor % mixer at 40/60 PG/VG and may start venturing into 35/65 PG/VG)…so if you see any flavor you would like to hear about, like I said earlier, feel free to mention it to me…I do know they have a few new releases, which I may not have but, for the most part I got 37- 1 ml samples of em…

3 Likes

i just quoted a quote :sunglasses: how cool is that. TPA is my favorite custard and i have tried all that I know of, though i am always on the search. I have never heard of the pepper taste, that sucks

1 Like

I’ve picked up the peppery taste from TFA VC as well. I liken it more to a spicy taste, and I always found it a bit off putting. The other flavor notes in it are great, but the spiciness always makes me hesitant to use it as a deserty juice.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m the same way. I wonder if there’s a chemical in it that some people are “immune” to, where others are not. Like asparagus. Some people’s piss stinks after eating asparagus, where other’s does not. It’s because some people have the enzyme that breaks down the part in the asparagus that makes their urine smell, where as others doesn’t… Yep, I just compared stinky asparagus piss to spicy peppery TFA custard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

yes its the same peppery taste that tpa vbic put off i think they both comtain whatever put that taste off if you smell both side by side they are similar with that being said a long steep takes care of that with a bit of breathing , however i do like tpa french vanilla if your looking for an inexpensive option of a heavy cream type flave

It seems some people pick this up from certain cream flavorings, i have heard of many people stating that VBIC (TPA) has a peppery taste over 3%. Since a couple of them are TPA one could hit the components list and narrow down the chemical that causes it. A lot of people move away from TPA as their DIY progresses but i still oft use them for this very reason, they are the most transparent company working with the community.

@ OP:

I pretty much only vape custards and cure them all for two months before i touch them. When i find something i like i will make 240ml unless i really like it then it is either 500ml or 1 liter bottle. For my main ADV there are two litters on the shelf, one i am vaping from and the other is curing. When i get close to finishing the vaping liter i make another for curing. I also make flavor bases of my ADVs and let them cure for awhile before i use them. I have a love/hate relationship with time, i hate the wait but i LOVE the results…

One of my absolute favorite combinations of flavorings/extracts is Vanilla (MF) and VC V1 (CAP). As it cures the vanilla develops very nicely, rich natural vanilla flavor that adds a bit of creaminess to the mix, .5% was my sweet spot with it, of course that is just me as someone else may like it at higher or lower %'s.

Another is Cheesecake (LA), adds a bit of sweetness and mouth feel. I keep this at 2% or less.

Now im just rambling, ill stop. hehe

8 Likes