Deeper storage: Horizontal vs Vertical

Continuing the discussion from Plano Stowaway - Flavor Storage:
Speaking to a very knowleadgeable fella last week who assured me the only way to store flavour concentrates long-term is HORIZONTALLY, now I’d never heard this before, He says this is the way his mum (a proffessional cake maker for 30+ years) stores hers.
Our use for this stuff is pretty recent in comparison; Her reasoning was that contamination + deterioration of the contents is much easier when the air is in contact with the screwcap at the top, than when the bottle is horizontal the screwcap is in contact with liquid (far denser)
I wasn’t convinced at the time, but the logic makes some sense (+ her working knowledge)
Anyone else ever heard this? or have thought about it?
Anyone have other opinions from people with commercial baking experience?

Me too, I’m going here
with different sized flavour bottles to see which work best
more Plano boxes

P.S.
Added as new topic as, separately from being an organization issue may have implications for the longevity of our flavours, and how far they may wander up our neighbour’s nostrils.

1 Like

It seems to have worked for wine, stored neck down for years. I don’t know much about the science but it would seem to me, reducing as much outside contamination as possible would add to the life of a flavor, as it does to wine.

I’m joking here but a nice “wine rack” for juice flavors could help us add life to flavors and let them “age to perfection” LOL It could be a big seller too. :~) T

1 Like

That’s a good point!… for centuries even ;0)

Yes I think by necessity we have to look at how other industries have been dealing with things that are somewhat perishable and in this case seriously smelly* too

Here’s something that fits the bill on a number of criteria from the food industry:
“Vogue Polypropylene 1/1 Gastronorm Container with Lid 100mm
Supplied with a tight fitted, sealable lid to keep food fresh this polypropylene 1/1 gastronorm container is suitable for cold or hot food preparation in the kitchen. Designed to stack when full and when empty to save space in a busy kitchen. Freezer safe and able to withstand temperatures with a range of -40°C to +70°C.”

Gastronom system,

Here’s another example from another field that could have its uses for little bottles if you wanted to keep the smell down (i’m sure they’ve tried to consider that aspect in the design specification)
Would have the labelling aspect sorted too.

sample bottles

If anyone decides to pull the trigger on those I’d pay a few pennies more and avoid any listings described as “used”

1 Like

The only reason why they store wine bottles horizontally is that oxygen can’t touch the cork or else it will dry out and let air in and spoil the wine.