DIY Flavor Shack (DIYFS) Flavor Tasting Notes

@Dan_the_Man Yes.

1 Like

@Sprkslfly @mixologist13 It doesn’t APPEAR unnatural, could be from the components, but not sure. Doesn’t have that easy to spot artificial neon glow I’ve seen before.

2 Likes

Unless they used purple carrot or beet juice to give it that purple hue that is 100% artificial food coloring…

1 Like

Yep. :blush:

1 Like

I just re-checked all of my flavor bottles, and mixed testers, granted the BBM has a blue tint, not sure if they’re coloring it or not. I mean, the rest all look pretty typical shades of colors that you see in normal flavorings. Not sure why they would color the BBM (granted I only have about 8), and not others. Still checking around.

4 Likes

Gooey Butter Cake (DIYFS) 8% (4-30-18) – Gooey Butter Cake ehhh ??? Don’t think I’ve ever tried one before, but here goes. This one was the first one that I felt maybe going higher than 8% would benefit it (and per @Leilani’s comments to that effect). Still really good and fairly true to the name even at 8%. They really got the white/yellow cake part right, and it sure seems buttery, but as an accent, not a top note. At this percentage it’s an even sweet, bakery flavor, with buttery’ness and some icing in there for good measure. I think this one is good enough to warrant a re-test at maybe 11% just to see if the buttery part takes off higher. As it stands, a really good cake. Nothing off-putting or artificial, and the cake really comes through on this one. Will add notes if the higher tester boosts the buttery’ness or gooey’ness. As it stands, solid at 9/10.

5 Likes

8% holy cow. I mix it from 3 - 5%. I’ll give it a go at 8% just because you say so…

6 Likes

@Dan_the_Man Hehe, don’t blame me, blame @Leilani. I’m pretty sure she was getting no flavor, contacted the owner’s son, who said more like 11%, which she tried, and was getting some great flavors at that level.

2 Likes

As expensive as they are 11% seems pretty high. Heck 8% is too. Luckily I am ok with it at 5% except for a MTL recipe I use it in.

3 Likes

Well, I can’t argue about the price per %, but it all depends on your pallet. If lower is better, keep with it. If you need more, BOOST IT !!! :slight_smile:
These are all brand new for me, and I struggled to find good % info on them, and found some, but not much.

3 Likes

Thank you. I might put them a bit higher on my list then and give them a try in a couple of weeks. Testing some other stuff, I just got in first lol.

2 Likes

I thought 5% would be the sweet spot going through the reviews. I didn’t get much out of it besides a hint of a cake. And like @SessionDrummer quoted, I did speak to the owners son after I tried it at 8% and wasn’t getting that punch of a cake flavor like other reviewers were stating in their notes at lower %'s. Not wanting to mix up another so so tester, I tried it at 11%; seeing that the son said starting* is 10% for Gooey Butter Cake. 11% was a good SFT % for me and I got a nice rich cake from it.

3 Likes

I’m actually GLAD to hear your mixing percentages are lower. Because if reading was all I had to go by (in judging whether or not to spend “that kind of money”)… At 8% “minimum use” (for SF), it’s an automatic PASS by me, unless it’s filling a specialized niche (such as chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, etc).

3 Likes

I never know how much to use either and because their flavors are $$$$ to me, I hate to use a ton of it like they suggest. It’s a guessing game. The flavors seem to be around the same % as tfa yet sometimes weaker. Pretzel though I had to use 5%. It’s good yet weak and gunked my coils so badly they had to be replaced.

2 Likes

@Dan_the_Man again, to the price point, I’ve got more than a handful of weaker flavors that I do have to mix high with, not specific to DIYFS. Setting up some more testers tonight, hopefully, and we’ll see if ANYTHING can top that Cookie flavor !!!

2 Likes

are those all full gallons of VG ? you must mix for a few people lol

2 Likes

Lol maybe i does maybe i dont… Do you work for the government fidalgo lol
Got my DIYFS order today, had to pay 23$ customs :frowning:
@sessiondrummer both the pretzel and the cookie smell amazing! Thank you for the recommendations.
Just mixed a peanut butter pretzel its in a hot water bath right now i will post my thoughts…

6 Likes

I do tend to mix at low percentages. Except for Cap. cust. v1. my sweet spot for that is 6% which for me is quite high. I think because The one mixer I try to emulate, mixes like that.

So, I don’t know if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

@mixologist13 ROAR !!!

I’ll never tell @fidalgo_vapes

4 Likes

@mixologist13 You’re welcome and I’d LOVE to hear what you think. Doesn’t the cookie smell insane ?? I’ve never had a single flavor (is it a one shot ?) that smells AND tastes that good. I actually struggled through TWO tank fulls, trying to think about how to describe it. Can’t wait to hear. I can think of NO other cookie that comes close to that one.

4 Likes