DIY Flavor strength vs commercial juices

WW made a new version of that with Molinberry Glamour Chocolate.

2 Likes

Although I have been using this site since January of this year, I still really consider myself a “newbie”. So my short reply compared to all of these complicated replies by veteran DIYers due to their experience (I bow down to you all lol) may seem adolescent. While adjusting flavor %'s and such to your recipes as others have suggested may indeed help, perhaps it could be the equipment you use to vape your juices.

I currently use a SMOK Color Pro mod with a V8 Baby - T6 coil. I have found that vaping with a V8 Baby - X4 coil really makes a difference in sweetness for sure. In fact, using the X4 coil actually makes my juice (any juice from store bought to my own DIY) horribly SWEET. Almost as if I am vaping syrup. I have tried all the coils in SMOK’s V8 series, and found that either the T6 or V8 balances the flavor of my DIY’s and store bought juices.

I hope you find your solution and will not be a hard fix. I too have come across this similar issue and was able to find my balance simply by just changing my coil.

Happy Holidays

4 Likes

I’m commenting mostly just to be able to follow this thread easier. I’m befuddled. I’m more of a burger flipper than a world class mixing artist, lol but I have never experienced this problem. My mixes fall mid way of what I have purchased commercially regarding strength of flavor. I’ve not vaped any of the exampled juices so I have no reference. I will say this, a friend who tries everything commercial has given me a number of juices that went down the drain as they were just too pungent for me to be able to vape. That’s all I can think of to relate. Regardless, it is an interesting thread. Don’t mind me but I’ll just be peeking over shoulders.

3 Likes

The “homogenizing” factor was one of my primary reasons for deciding to use my old OroGem ultrasonic way back when.

It never rises above 115-120F (so nicotine isn’t negatively affected) with the heat on, even after a couple hours of operation with the US waves engaged. The ultrasonic waves pass through the glass bottles without issue, and it does a spectacular job of getting things blended at a core level IMO.

I’ve been trying the “no heat” method over the last 3-4 months just to give the “opposing view” a fair shake. But honestly, I haven’t seen any benefit to the “no heat” side. Whereas there is a noticeable advantage to the results from using the USC with heat.

Others obviously disagree, but again, whatever works for the individual doing it! =)

3 Likes

Well yeah. There are tons of ultrasonic homogenizers on the market and my understanding is that they work the same way as the US cleaner does. Only they are massively higher powered and emit a high frequency noise that I wouldn’t want to deal with. They need to be in a sound chamber and like the high shear devices are way more expensive than I could personally justify to cut a couple of weeks off the time it takes for ejuice to be ready to vape. But the principles of particle reduction are the same as far as I can tell.

Quite awhile back I did a simple search for “homogenize vegetable glycerin” and it took me to CAT Scientific. I’ve posted a link before but not on this thread: http://www.catscientific.com CAT Scientific | Revolutionizing Cannabis Post-Processing Equipment. So obviously they are marketing to cannabis and ejuice persons. A video has been linked to :

https://youtu.be/fthoILGL664

This video demonstrates that VG will not homogenize at below 140 F. But I don’t think that that applies to ultrasonic. For the reasons mentioned I tried it and will never go back any other way even if there were no inconsistencies in the VG I buy. But there is.

The subject of heat mystifies me as to how people think its harmful to flavoring developed for cooking. But I Stir VG for at least an hour, cool down, and generally mix flavors at 120 F or below. I’ve done side by side testing with everything I’ve tried. So wherever the idea that food flavorings are damaged by heat in this range simply doesn’t make sense. I pointed out that Walt (RF) even recommends 140 F in one of his posts.

So obviously people can do whatever they like, but I think you know that I have questioned this repeatedly and not a single person has offered a shred of proof to substantiate these claims about heat. I got to the point where I just said its “contentious” and said I didn’t want to go there. I won’t argue with anyone here. It’s not what I’m here for and I said awhile back I am just trying to give back to the community.

3 Likes

There is nothing at all wrong with low heat - I will however say that in my opinion & expirence high heat does absolutely damage a mix (i have left the hot plate on when i got distracted). Somewhere along the line heat damage has been has been equated to any heat. Higher temps have also been linked to nicotine potency reductions.

I don’t think it is contentious I just think that some people read high heat and equate it to any heat and some people prefer not to heat at all - everybody finds their own groove with mixing and at the end of the day should do what works for them in their situation.

2 Likes

If your hotplate stirrer is anything like mine it will heat to very high temp in a very short time. Mine will boil water faster than my stove. So I didn’t say that flavoring can’t be damaged, only that heat in the ranges I have stated won’t. As sparkslfly said there is a noticeable advantage. But I agree people should do what works for them. However I have a problem with new people trying to learn being told nonsense when they ask for help.

As far as nicotine degradation, I don’t know. I add it after mixing and cooling. But I’m not worried about the heat, I don’t want to oxidize it.

3 Likes

Yes I was agreeing with you - was just saying that high heat is not good.

3 Likes

I started typing before you added the story.:rofl: I guess i should look before I pull the trigger. My bad. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I occasionally get to talk to guy that is in charge of formulating recipes for an ejuice company. They have probably a dozen lines of their own, and they mix, bottle and label for other ejuice brands. He told me that some of the commercial ejuices are up to 39% flavorings. I think that will explain why some brand name juice seems so strong.

5 Likes

Hardware is not the problem. I also use smok coils most of the time. There is no room for mistakes when Im running the same hardware all the time.

What I can extract from the replies is that I have not shaken the liquid good enough.
So what I am considering is:
· Ultrasound cleaner
· Rotatory wheel

What do you think about rotating the bottles during long hours or even nights?
Will this be enough?
Cheers

1 Like

There are a lot of people here that use US cleaners. and lots of others that claim they shouldn’t to this. Do a search. But in any case mine gets used all the time for cleaning tanks and other vaping related items etc, so even if you try that method…which I believe works very well… and feel it doesn’t work for you you would still have a very useful device.

I know nothing regarding the rotary wheel. zilch.

The point I want to make and as the FA rep advised, is that even with high tech devices such as the high shear devices, there is a time factor. Call it “steeping” evaporation, off gassing, or whatever, ejuices develop over time. I’ve read that high shear homogenization eliminates 60 to 80 % of the “steep” time which would be very useful for production purposes. But I have no need for that and am a simple DIY mixer. The other aspect is achieving a homogeneous mixture which can be achieved by a variety of ways.

2 Likes

I use mine as a part of routine. 1/2 hr in the mag stirrer and 1/2 hr in the usc. No heat applied at any time. Comes out “warm”. I have not bothered to take it’s temperature. Out of the magnetic stirrer the juice is semi, maybe pseudo frothed. After the usc it is clear of aerobic gassing visually. As a matter of process I stick to this routine for evaluation of juices. Obviously a “works for me” application with the premise of “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it”.

4 Likes

I’m really curious and am not trying to tell you to change or do anything. But why the concern about heat when you’re dealing with chemicals used for cooking, baking, and especially candy making?

I’m also curious as to “pseudo frothing” ?? Is the forced introduction of oxygen into a mixture harmful or beneficial?

Under the ultrasonic process are you sure that a large amount of heat is not being applied? For example, I read an article about one of the drawbacks to using a commercial ultrasonic homogenizer is the heat produced which in turn required a solution to be packed in dry ice to prevent heat damage. With that type of unit the us probe is inserted directly into the solution.

1 Like

Lol, Telling me to change would most likely be futile. There really is no great concern about heat. My mag stirrer is not heated, so that’s non sequitur. I have read so many debates no on heat vs no heat that I figure I’ll just save money in the electric bill at this point. In regard the the degree of aerobic interaction between chemicals, I had a pretty good handle on the process regarding microbial growth in the day but I have nothing definitive in mind to judge degree in e-juice mixing. The use of the terms “semi” and “pseudo” were an attempt to describe the appearance of the juice after mixing not an attempt to qualify degree of aerobic presence. Again, I’ve read so many debates that I have no idea how many bubbles per cubic CM is optimal. Yes that is a little tongue in cheek but I’m sure you get my drift.

3 Likes

Ditto to dat!

2 Likes

@DavidMiranda somethink that i just remembered. It was a period that I was DIY my juice and a friend was buy commercial. When I try his eliquid I was wondering why it taste with more strenght… but he has the same question for my eliquid. :wink:

2 Likes

Whether I do or not is irrelevant. The question is whether new mixers having problems and seeking solutions will. I think not. Their questions almost variably begin with declarations that they are doing everything “right” which includes this prohibition on the use of heat and many declare how they have whipped everything into a beneficial froth. Hmmm, but they are dissatisfied.

2 Likes

You make a lot of assumptions as you are entitled.

1 Like

@SmilingOgre & @TorturedZen

There’s an easier way (so you don’t end up doing a “filler post”) FYI: at the end of every thread (easier to find when it’s new) there is a button that says “normal” when it’s not being tracked.

You have a couple of options to pick one you click on it. “Tracking” and “Watching” will accomplish what you’re after (though each handles it slightly differently).

FWIW, the same button, is also what facilitates you to ignore a thread, and never have to see it again! So while that may be useful as well, be careful when making your tracking or watching selection, as you may end up losing the very thread you were interested in should you misclick!

3 Likes