Do I have the basics to start with?

Let me do some investigating for ya, all it says is apple pie flavoring on the bottle? The shop in Edinburgh?

1 Like

i kind of just jumped in head first without reading to much before hand tbh! since looking on a few recipe sites I have found out there is a large selection to choose from

3 Likes

Unfortunately not knowing this company’s flavoring all I can say is start around 8-10% with that one and adjust after you taste it (may want to give it at least a day to steep)
But to help you out I would suggest getting flavorings from some more of the popular flavoring companies, that way you can read people’s notes and recipes-

You’ll find info on companies everywhere but you can start here for a list

I would imagine Dr Vapor gets their flavorings from one of these bigger companies but I can’t find out where

3 Likes

Thanks for the help going to look into adding to the collection and see what I can create

From what I have read the cappella flavours are good so will try them out

4 Likes

Capella has some good ones yes, some say their creams and custards are amongst the best. As far as companies that have super concentrated and amazing flavors I would go with flavorah, Inawera or flavorart. You use A LOT less in comparision to other companies. Like flavorah is around 3% for a lot compared to a place like TFA which can be 8-10%
I’m not trying to steer you one way or another because all the companies are good but some are better in certain areas than others.
It all comes down to your personal taste. I personally do not care for a lot of capella’s fruit because for me they are to candy like than true. TFA/TPA is a good “neutral” company IMO but I would definitely look into FLV, FA and INW!

3 Likes

The following link/thread is an EXCELLENT starter guide for you:

1 Like

Welcome to the “Rabbit Hole” or if you like, the “Hotel California” of the vaping community! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You can check out…but you can never leave!

9 Likes

@Vdub85 Honestly I would answer no - you don’t have the basics. Personally I can’t bring myself to make single flavor recipes. I’ll offer my opinion here and if others would like to chime in I’m sure you’ll get some good information. First, I would decide what it is you enjoy vaping the most. Fruits, Candies, Creams, Bakery…maybe even Savory. Heck you may even be more inclined to enjoy mimicing beverages. Regardless, here’s a little tidbit I go by just for fruits.

Fruits - by far my favorite category. Rarely would I make a fruit that is just fruit. Some do and enjoy it. I do not. For me, fruit can be the main flavor but it needs to be accompanied by supporting flavors. For example

Fruit and Cream. The fruit will make up between 40-50% of overall flavoring. The remaining will be a combination of some of the following-
Sweet Cream
Bavarian Cream
Whipped Cream
Marshmallow
Custard
Ice Cream
Dulce de Leche
Malted Milk

In many fruite blends I will also add some type of bakery type such as-
Cake Batter
Yellow Cake
Vanilla Cupcake
Biscuit

A bakery flavor may be much the same, where you have a main flavor and other supporting flavors. A bakery recipe could be
Cake Batter
Biscuit
Butter
Sweetener
Blueberry Muffin
Acetyl Pyryzine

Candies - not really my thing but quite often people will blend 2 or more candy type flavors along with perhaps some type sweetener, minthol, or other complimentary/enhancement flavor.

See where I’m heading? Many great recipes feature one or two main flavors and then supporting flavors that help bring them together and make a solid, great juice. Perhaps you could start small. Do you like creamy, strawberry flavor? If so, here’s a recipe for Strawberry Milk you could try.

Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you read everything you can, Look at a ton of recipes here that are rated high. You will soon get a “feel” for what makes a great juice. And it sure beats the prices you have to pay retail for vender liquids! Best of luck!

3 Likes

Although it isn’t a necessity, a gram scale is extremely helpful because it’s more accurate than drops.

This is a list of the most used flavors on ELR sorted by popularity.

big thanks for all the info so far

And I have the gram scales on the list for my next order

3 Likes

You could just send them an email and ask. I’ve had it once when I ordered some flavours from a Dutch website and it didn’t have a brand name on the bottle. When I asked it turned out to be TPA, and welcome to the site!

1 Like

Well thought I would give it a bash seeing as I can’t order more flavours till the end of the month! And it’s not offensive straight from the mixing tube so can only be better after time I guess

1 Like

hey, im new to the forum and noticed this post, would it not change the mix to much by pre mixing the vg/pg and nic? as in when you are mixing all different percentages of flavouring?

As Darth stated, he mixes a base at 6mg. Then depending on how much flavoring he adds, the nic percentage will drop slightly because of the adding flavors being a percentage of the mix.

1 Like

Oh goody. My favorite kinda thread! One that is dear to my heart since I am still noobish and can reflect on my sucesses and failures because they just happened. And one that has drawn the attention of the pros here!

First off @SthrnMixer - damn nice info on mixing using main notes and secondary flavors. I bet you are a good cook. And @DarthVapor - great input!

Ok, my thoughts… I always like to share This Thread with all the new people here. It was put together by our dear sweet @JoJo here who is another very helpful regular. That thread straightened me right out!

I have accumulated well over 100 flavors in a month’s time. I did so by picking out a few recipes I wanted to make and I ordered those flavors. The mistake I made when I started was I thought I could just buy flavors and throw them together and make a vapable juice. I could sum this up by sharing This Thread of mine because you did something similar and bought a flavor from an unknown vendor (but at least you seem to have bought flavoring HAHA).

Trust me when I say this site has all the info you will ever need to learn to mix your own juices. But don’t just go buying flavors without knowing what to do with them. You may end up like I did - frustrated and confused. The best way to start in my opinion is mix a few recipes that are proven on here. Play around with the calculator, flavor stash, and browse the recipes page and get really familiar with how it all works. When you do you will have a good idea of how to research recipes, flavors, and how individual flavors are used. Then you will have more questions to ask. And so the learning cycle begins :wink:

Good luck! And welcome to the best place on the web to learn to enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours!

2 Likes

Personally I think making a base up ahead of time is the best way to go, unless you are mixing various mg for different people. I think it is just to tedious to have to pull out a 100mg nic, your VG and flavors and mix bottle by bottle.
I chose 6mg for my bases only because it makes the math a lot easier, but you can do whatever you like.

Then yes as I stated, I just use my base and add flavors accordingly. So if I made a mix with 50% flavoring then I would have a 3mg juice (not that I would ever make a 50% flavor mix)

1 Like

I would recommend using an ejuice calculator rather than making bases unless you vape a lot or are handing out juice to friends so it doesn’t degrade on you. I have found I have too much already made ejuice ready to vape and test and wouldn’t/should make another recipie until I get done with all me testing and succefull juices.

Sure, having a base makes things easier, but I have found it takes only a little forethought to pull out my 30ml bottle of 100mg nic from the freeze the morning of and just one extra pour. The only challenge or extra step is putting on a mask and eye protection but I only have to wear for 3mins because I add the nic to to 4-5 bottles I just whipped up.

1 Like

I may start doing that as well Darth. Makes sense because most of my mixes have been in the 15% range or so. You could always make up two or 3 bases. One for 10% flavoring recipes, one for 15%, and one for 20%. Do you store your bases in the freezer? I guess it’s really not necessary since the nic percentage is so much lower than a bottle of nicotine. Ya definitely got me thinking man.

I store the bulk of my nicotine in the freezer but not the bases. I read somewhere that freezing VG is a bad thing, so I avoid it. Granted my nic is VG based but not straight vg. Personally I don’t mind the variations of nic in my juices. They aren’t drastic and usually between 4-5ish, so I’m good with that.
Making juices for others though is a different story and I go bottle by bottle

1 Like