Do juices go bad?

I was wondering how long juices last I’m trying to determine how many I should make
at a time I don’t want to make too many if they will go bad before I can vape them and yet don’t want to run out ( I make 30 ml. batches and a 30 mi bottle will last on the average of 3 days ) Keeping a 30 day +/- steep time depending on the common
factors type, number of flavors, batch size etc etc.

2 Likes

As far as I know, that depends on a few factors.

First of all, the flavours used. Can’t give you a comprehensive guide on which flavours behave in what ways (flavour notes give you an idea about that), but the general tendency is custards/desserts need a long steep and have a long shelf life, while fruity ones are the other way round. Also, be careful with Ethyl Maltol and concentrates that contain it for sweetness, as EM will mute flavours over time. Lately I had to dump quite a few juices because of this, the sweetener just munched everything in the profile into one, sweetish, gooey mess. Yuk.

Secondly, consider your storage environment, specifically temperature and exposure to light. There’s plenty of info on this on the forums, so just the basics: dark, cool place, mini fridge for flavours and nicotine is best. Some flavours don’t take the cooling too well, so you’ll need to get those out beforehand and let them warm up a little, then give em a shake. And don’t forget your containers: plastic might cause you trouble, if possible stick to glass.

Thirdly, juice don’t go bad in a way that would make them a health risk, they just taste off.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think it varies based on the age of the flavoring that are used and what temperature your mixed juices are kept at. I have had juice easily last a year, but I don’t use nic. So I would think overall it depends on the quality of your nic on how fast it goes bad.

http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/what-is-your-e-liquids-average-longest-shelf-life/23901?u

2 Likes

I’ve had years old juice be good and months old juice go off. Main thing I’ve found with very old juice is if it gets dark, like black dark, and seems thinner than it should then it’s gonna taste gross and should be dumped. With not so old juice if it looks fine but the flavor has faded (this can happen) you can always touch it up.

3 Likes

That did help
Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s my experience after about 9 months they are probably safe but have gotten weird.

2 Likes

Also consider whether you’re really going to vape everything you make.

If you are making tried & true recipes that you know you like, then it makes sense to make just the right amount.

But if you are trying new recipes you might find that you don’t like all of them, or don’t like them enough to vape the entire bottle.

Lastly, consider the aging time required. For recipes that you love, it’s worth making a large supply so that you always have some of those juices available, aged, and ready to vape.

Dang, there’s a lot to consider. Given that I hate trying to track all this stuff, I made a whole ton. By my calculations I’m sitting on 9 or 10 months’ worth of juice. That should be well within the shelf life of all of them, so that’s safe. However, many of these are trials - I might not like every one of them. I figure that 1/3 of what I make won’t be vaped. So really I have a 6-month supply. That gives me plenty of time to make more of the ones I love, and ignore the ones I don’t.

6 Likes

if your going to make a large supply and use nicotine just add your nicotine to the juice when your ready to vape it , example i make 120ml batches when i want to vape some i fill up a 30ml unicorn bottle with 29.1ml of juice then add the nicotine which is .9 ml i vape 3mg and 100mg nicotine shake it well and your ready , i use to add my nicotine to my batches but certain juices you could taste the nicotine more after a long steep which im not a fan of but ive had juice sit for months and its very good and always clear as the day i made it unless i use a flave that has a little color then it will change a little

2 Likes

It is a lot to consider, Don’t want to mix up up too much for fear of it going bad and then again I don’t want to run out I do take in consideration the steeping times required for the various types of juice I I am making (Custards, fruits,tobacco , bakery etc) I have sixteen 30 ml bottles steeping I think I might mix up maybe 6 more today but i think I’ll make fruity mixes since they are pretty much shake and bake type flavors.
Thank you very much for your help!
Steve-o