Do Life and Health insurance companies consider vaping the same as smoking?

I wonder can I tell my life insurance company that I have not smoked in over two years to lower my cost of life insurance if I vape? Something to think about.
https://quotewizard.com/news/posts/verdict-vaping-and-insurance

:thinking:

4 Likes

When asked the question do you Smoke?
The correct answer is, “No”
It’s a quick and easy way to respond.
This response does not need to be expanded on.

19 Likes

Yeah, @Mark_Turner summed it up perfectly. I’m no “legal expert” but unless life insurance companies specifically state in their policies to make mention of smoking AND vaping, then you could honestly state, with hand on heart, that you have been a non smoker for over 2 years. I’m assuming it’s taken for granted that “smoking” refers only to cigarettes so I’m thinking you’ll be totally truthful saying you’re a non smoker. And yeah, as Mark said, why offer your life insurance company information that’s irrelevant. Need to know basis and they don’t need to know. Use the money you’ll save @Steve-o_54 and buy some more vape gear (ha-ha)…

5 Likes

Blue cross tells me that consider vaping and e-cigs a tobacco product, just like the FDA. They don’t use ‘smoking’ as a term, the say use of tobacco products.

Got into it with them this year.

I should have just said I do not smoke cigarettes, and just left it at that.

5 Likes

That’s the key words “Tobacco Products” that’s the loop hole they get you on unless you vape 0 mg nic and I
do vape nic

3 Likes

I guess legally it would depend on your country’s laws, but if the question is “Do you smoke” then the answer is no, because vaping is not smoking by definition. However, if the question is “do you use any form of tobacco products” then it will depend on the laws in your country. Some countries have merged vaping with the tobacco law, basically rendering it no different than smoking. In such a case the answer would be yes to the question of use of tobacco products. Still “no” to the question of smoking either way.

Edit: if e-cigarettes have been merged with the tobacco law, then it does not matter if you use 0 nic. In most EU countries the law governs every single item related to e-cigarettes. Including but not limited to; the mod, tank, glass, coil, drip-tip, juice, coils, wick, screws, o-rings and even the batteries. Meaning that the batteries in your mod is a tobacco product… I am not even joking.

6 Likes

well, there are medications that contain nicotine as well (e.g. some anti depressants). Nicotine is considered a tobacco product, so all those users should answer “yes” as well?
This is a tricky road… it may be a good idea to open this discussion with the relevant people.

4 Likes

im goinf to answer it this way , i have health insurance and life insurance i also have an insurance policy on myself and a business partner called " key man insurance " all through different provides and all of them consider vaping the same , and one of them actually had better rates for a vaper who quit smoking but you have to be cigg free for so long … heres the important thing " do not lie " make sure you ask the provider because if they do consider them the same and you say no to smoking your policy will be denied

6 Likes

So I guess if you use the patch or chew nicotine gum, you are still using tobacco product.

3 Likes

As stupid as it sounds I’m thinking yeah that’s how these insurance companies make more money off of us.
(bastards)

4 Likes

Well, products containing various substances don’t tend to go under any specific laws of that substance so long as it is been reviewed and approved for it’s own category as it’s own product. Potatoes contain nicotine as well but I hardly believe they go under the tobacco law. Nicotine patches, gum, spray and pouches are also not considered a tobacco product most places even though they obviously contain nicotine, that’s why they are allowed to advertise for them. So yeah, medications containing nicotine are not considered tobacco products in most countries.

1 Like

Bastards indeed.

3 Likes

It would seem once nicotine is extracted from the tobacco leaf, then it no longer a “tobacco” product.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose so mate

A lot of insurance companies I’ve seen (with myself and with others) go a long way to do everything possible to not pay. All they want to do is cash in… they’re in the same league as banks and governments, corrupt to the core and they’re doing very little to hide it.
That’s why it’s important to be very clear about their stance towards vaping, as well as with other things.
If you see a question “Are you a smoker?” and you answer no, while you’re vaping, be very sure there aren’t any small prints somewhere that say something to the effect of any use of tobacco products is equal to smoking. They’re very good at fine prints all those money making bastards.

1 Like

It all depends on what is defined by the company / government. Logic is defied by regulation and laws.
You can always argue about those things in court, but taking on governments and insurance companies is usually not something a normal person does or can afford.

This is a good read

3 Likes

Yup keep it simple. You’re not lying, WE DO NOT SMOKE!

5 Likes

The issue with trying to stay clean before a test and fool your insurance company is the following.
Imagine you have a life insurance and you die in an accident. An inspector from the insurance company comes to inspect the wreck, sees your mod still in it and reports it. An autopsy will also detail what’s been found in the blood. The insurance company will say that you paid X amount too little for a “smoker” (so far, at least 1 company treats vaping as different from smoking? not too many) so they’re only partially going to pay out.

If you get into the hospital with whatever urgent thing you have, you’re not going to have the week in advance to get clean. Any test at that time will point out you’re a user, so again they can pull part of your refund again.

The better thing is to be sure in advance. Find out what your company’s stance is towards vaping and if they have a crappy mentality, change company and let your previous company know why. If they see a lot of people switch, they might try to do something about it because losing customerS costs money. One or two won’t make a difference but if they see a trend, be sure they do. All those companies care about is making money and all the evidence points out to vaping being of great health benefits for people who’ve previously smoked.

2 Likes

Indeed @Maureeenie

1 Like