Does anyone know how to make flavor concentrates at home diy?

I have been researching for about a month now on hpow to make my own flavor concentrates. I have found very
Little and now that Walt from real flavors told me I can use his extracts in my e juice I am really confused. I did not know I could make Vale juice with an extract and I still qyuestion whether an exyttact can be vaped at high wattages. Some imfdo says to soak whatever you want for a flavor all ground up I’m a blender and soaked in grain alcohol and then strained and heated not sure because the info was sparse and not much of it. It has to be doable. Because when I make e juice my goal is always to make something that not everyone ois doing and by creating my own flavoring I would be sure that its a unique flavor.

2 Likes

Hi ! It seems there’s a bit of info on it here and there like you say it’s sparse. It depends on what you’re wanting to extract and whether or not you can filter it easily and what your binding them in, for example using Pg as the base or alcohol as you mentioned as well as the question of safety w/ inhalation concerns.

Here are a few searches on at home DIY extracts

8 Likes

The NET topic is really helpful! My Wild Berry Zinger extraction will be done tomorrow, after a month. (Yes I’ve been taking pix and will post them, lol.) From what I’ve heard about many flavors though, you have to be careful of naturally occurring sugars and oils.

8 Likes

From what I’ve gathered, making extracts from tobaccos, teas, spices, and herbs is generally okay but making extracts from things like fruit is not recommended. For what reason, I’m not 100% positive, but if I had to guess I’d say that it’s tough to do on your own, it won’t be as shelf stable, and you don’t really wanna vape sugar (even if it is fructose).

5 Likes

I understand the whole fruit sugar thing but why can everyone else make fruit flavors is it just a process that you cant achieve at home without a lab pr is it that they make the flavor with a chemical composition. Because as we know some are. Or is it just a process that the ends dont justify the means on a small scale. I want to try and do granola because I had a vape juice that I tried that a friend was vaping back when I first started and have never found a granola flavor again the closest thing is the parfait vapes like rocket man by one hit wonder and I really liked the one i tried I cant even find a flavor concentrate for granola. I dont tgink there is any sugar in hranola right and I know it depends what kind obviosly I would make sure. Do you think granola would work

1 Like

good job! making my own concentrates crossed my mind a few times but I’m still too new after almost 2 years of diying. I still feel like a novice. I’m able to make very vapable, great tasting liquids but the amount of information is overwhelming sometimes. I also have a problem distinguishing flavors on my palate. it seems that my taste buds are being affected by some meds that I take. all of that being said, this site helps me tremendously! you (“amy2”), jojo, ringling, daath, diyordie, and some others I cant think of right now, are most definitely the people I look to when I need advice. Thanks to you all!

5 Likes

@Walt_RealFlavors may be able to shed some light here. From what I understand, companies typically use chemicals that mimic the flavors of fruits, nuts, etc. rather than extract the flavors directly from the source. Although some do extract, but they have equipment designed specifically for the purpose of extracting flavors and filtering the product to remove impurities or undesirables.

I don’t know about extracting granola, but I don’t think it’d work very well. I think your best bet is going to be to try and find flavors that are already made to get what you want. Granola would be an interesting one. You need an oat flavor. Some sort of cereal flavor might get you in the vicinity, maybe with some AP to try and bring out the grain. Honey or Hops might work well, too.

2 Likes

JoJo is right. Sometimes you can not extract a flavor. For example our cinnamon roll, you can extract cinnamon but how do you extract the roll part?! In this case we will use natural extracts and create a recipe that combines each thing together to mimic it.

The link @Amy2 shared for tobaccos works great, but when you cross in to lime (as I seen on the picture) you run in to issues. You need make sure you are being safe. Raw lime essential oil (what you are making) can not be used in vape. It is oil based and can cause all sorts of weird issues, plus you will find a lot of other items in there besides just the flavor, from proteins to contaminants. Again that is just my opinion and only speaking from personal experience.

Last thing I will add, if you decided to do this… We use 195 Proof (97.5%) Alcohol. You have to ask yourself… if you are using 40 (20%) proof vodka… What is in that other 80%?

Just be careful.

4 Likes

@Too_tall Our extracts are designed to be clean, pure, and without contaminants or oils. (NO flavoring company will say their flavors are 100% safe, just not enough testing as been done yet)

Extracts are not the same as essential oils. Seems odd, but they are not the same, most extracts are WONF.

4 Likes

I am glad you’re involved. I know ppl make extracts at home but there’s a limit to what’s really safe to inhale / what’s actually possible to filter and once it’s filtered what your left with :wink: thanks for all your expert advice. Especially since my link makes it sound so easy until you really start to digest what’s what. The comments down below on that link I found to be helpful !

2 Likes

So what do you think about making an granola concentrate would that have to be chemically induced

1 Like

You wouldnt make a ‘granola’ flavor , you would combine flavors that are used in granola. Granola is made out of oats, nuts, honey and spices so you would use extracts of those ingredients combined to create a granola flavor. Same goes for a flavor like ‘strawberry shortcake’ is would be a combo a strawberry and vanilla extracts.

2 Likes

Nope.
No way.
Early on my journey the thought crossed my mind to try and soak actual juniper berries to make an extract, which works wonderfully with foods, but the difference is night and day from ejuice.
Then I thought (with the help of some old schoolers in here), there’s going to be oils, molds, compounds completely unknown to me and I’m not a scientist, to take some perverse party punch cocktail and heat it up and suck it into my lungs (which I desperately need for life giving oxygen) is nothing short of insane.

3 Likes