Does anyone use an eletronic mixer? what kind?

Hi Everyone!
I fairly new to mixing and I been doing alot of reading and research. I notice that the electronic mixer may be a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the electric mixer that came with the labware kit I ordered from Liquid Barn. It takes two double A batteries. It works like a charm. I prefer it over hand mixing because it does a better job and prevents long hand mixing times.

4 Likes

I’ve used many methods USC, frother, rotary drill w/ an attachment & still love my magnetic mixer the most.

Here’s a great read

Magnetic stirring for the unfamiliar

8 Likes

Milk frother. Cheap at $5-6 with free shipping with Prime on Amazon.

2 Likes

I started using a milk frother, but once I tried the Badger paint mixer, it’s all I’ve been using. I’ve found that a minute with the Badger followed by an hour in a USC @ 40-50 degrees shortens steep time a fair bit.

1 Like

What’s a USC?

Hmmmm. The badger. I thought once about buying one.

Not to hijack the thread here. But since I mix small volume I see no need for a mag mixer. I mean small by I almost always mix 15ml and 30ml bottles. There are only 5 recipies I mix at the 100ml level…and those are fine with a shake every two weeks.

That said I use a sawzall to shake my bottles. (You can use an electric carving knife as well). So…how has your badger held up? Do you think it is durable enoug to handel my mixing session where I mix 12-18 bottles every couple of weeks?

3 Likes

Got 2 cheap china milk frothers for a dollar each not enough muscle.

1 Like

Ultra Sonic Cleaner

2 Likes

It works great for me but it doesn’t feel like it’s the most durable plastic or long lasting. But it’s like $6. For the short periods we use it for it works fine. Not sure how big the mouth is on your bottle but I have to use something like a 120ml Boston round then pour it into the smaller 30ml bottles.

2 Likes

So far it’s held up very well, I’ve only had it 3 or 4 months though, but I’m sure there are plenty of people here who have been using one for much longer, as it was after reading recommendations here that I bought it.
I just checked and I’ve mixed 56 different recipes since I’ve had it, 5 or 6 of them multiple times, so I think it will hold up easily for the amount you mix.
There are hundreds of positive reviews for it on Amazon.
For $12 it’s not exactly a big risk.

2 Likes

I ordered three lab beakers 250, 100 and 50. They look like they’d fit on a scale or an electronic device. I’m looking at the ultra sonic cleaners now :slight_smile: ty

1 Like

I’ve been doing alot of reading and I notice that someone mentioned that the air bubbles from the food or paint mixers is not good for the juice. Is that true? I watched a video where the guy mixed his juice to the point it turned white with air bubbles. Is that ok?

1 Like

I use the Bagder mentioned earlier and my mixes end up full of bubbles - almost frothy. I haven’t noticed and detriment to the mixes versus when I used to shake manually. That’s not to say I’m doing it right though :joy:

4 Likes

In a 120ml bottle with high VG I get bubbles but not any froth unless I bring the mixer head near the very top of the mix. Within a half inch of the top of the mix I get a nice little vortex. I really want a mag stirrer though.

3 Likes

That’s a good’un. Cheap and so far, long lasting. I bought two of them just in case.

2 Likes

I use a magnetic mixer like Amy2 does and I love it.
It’s difficult to get it cranked up to full spin when you’re using a max VG blend.
When you do get it up to a full vortex, you or at least I get a lot of tiny bubbles in the liquid, it’s not bad and usually settles out fairly quickly.

1 Like

1 Like

damn it it was supposed be a gif