Does tc mode drains battery faster?

@Sprkslfly thank you for that, i still need to learn alot though… Just this problem kept me worried for days :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This seems like a logical conclusion but do you have any sources to back this up? We’re not talking about a high wattage i7 intel processor here. The board itself barely produces any heat which is IMO a pretty good indication of the low power consumption.

I’ve been googling for a while now and I can’t find ANY information on it. The best info I’ve seen so far is for a DNA device that says “on-screen power consumption 21mA, off-screen 3.5mA”, which is, pretty much negligible when you’re pushing between 20-25A through your coils, but it doesn’t say much else about the board’s energy consumption.

There are of course also differences between DNA and Voopoo, but if 1 board is working in mAs, the other’s not going to work in full A.

3 Likes

I tend to agree with you. I think the reason for the noticed difference (and exaggerated example) is down to the batteries (in largest part).

IIRC the DNA and YiHi chips are upwards of 90% efficient in regards to power consumption. So very little power lost. I also firmly believe that they are the leaders in the market, especially in that aspect.

I think you’ll be more likely to find the answer in looking at Mooch’s discharge/power curve charts. Especially for a consistent 10-12a plus rate, across the 10a CDR (constant discharge rated) battery vs the 20a CDR rated.

It makes sense to me that the draining would be more noticeable, if you’re already riding the ragged edge of the batteries’ capability to start with (WRT the 10a battery).

Agreed! And you’re unlikely to find such data I would think. But here’s my larger point of view on that… Let’s guesstimate that that’s at least a 10% gap in efficiency (DNA/YiHi vs others), and probably closer to 20% in many cases. That kind of difference in efficiency should be noticeable by the more astute observers out there. Not to say I’ve timed out longevity on battery pairs in my DNA (I totally did for a week straight)… But I know there’s others out there like me… Lol

3 Likes

I’m sure you’re right but I’m still a bit stumped about the difference being so noticeable between TC and PM, even with bad batteries. Since TC will throttle the power, the batteries should get some relief vs the continuous discharge in PM.

Oh well, if things are largely solved with the good batteries, i’ll stop breaking my head over it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really believe you are kinda breaking your head over something that there is just not enough available information on to come to a conclusive answer. DJlsb is the only reviewer that I know of who puts a scope on tested mods and publishes the scope’s display. I don’t see where he has done anything in the VooPoo. I don’t know if the thing “pumps” power in TC mode or if it uses refined PWM waveform like YiHi or if it uses an analog output waveform like DNA. I don’t know if it varies overall voltage distributed to the coil or if it dissipates undelivered power internally. There is nothing published on how it manages overhead in either TC or power modes. As mentioned previously, efficiency ratings vary greatly especially in regard to dc to dc converters used. There are a ton on the market with huge variations in efficiency. So many variables and so little documentation.

5 Likes