Drunken Custard - Barrel and Wood Steeping Methods

For those of you into RF SC flavors I adapted one of the soul custardy recipes someone posted a private recipe sneak peek of and it turned out pretty tasty IMO

Soul Custardy v1.00 (RFSC)
1.75% Vanilla Custard (Real Flavors)
0.50% Cream (Real Flavors)
0.50% Graham Cracker (Real Flavors)
0.40% Butter Toffee (Real Flavors)
0.25% Bourbon (Real Flavors)
0.20% Brown Sugar (Real Flavors)

There are a few versions of it posted if you do a recipe search.

3 Likes

Oh boy, this sounds right up my alley! A 1000 thx

1 Like

Noticed the corner store has some sort of age your own whiskey kit in the show case for like $20 that comes with a 2 (I think) liter barrel…

here are the non Real Flavors recipes if you need them - http://e-liquid-recipes.com/list?q=soul+custardy

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve never used RFs but always wanted to. Is there anything different I need to keep in mind? Or an info guide on it that I can research?

For a recipe using the SC line I shoot for 3.5% total. Some like more, some like less. This is a good calculator for adapting recipes with higher percents down to 3.5% - http://www.e-liquid-scripts.com/cosmiccalc

I tested 5 of the VG flavors (didn’t care for them personally), have 27 of the SC flavors on hand and plan to order a ton more later this year after I have used up all my older TFA, FA, FW, etc flavor stash.

Here are some threads you can learn more about the RF SC and VG flavors from @Walt_RealFlavors

3 Likes

Thank you, again. This is comprehensive.

I’m a proud owner of my baby barrel from the link you posted.

After I swished it out, I stuck my nose in there and took a whiff. I smelled whiskey! Can’t imagine the possibilities…thx again for the link.

6 Likes

@LordVapor I was reading the instructions that came with the barrel, including that little business card and it said you can use the barrel 3-5 times. What? Does that mean it loses it’s flavor properties after several steepings? Boohoo, tell me it’s not so.

I didn’t get anything like that with mine. I am mixing a second round as soon as I restock. If I can only get 3000-5000ml out of a barrel for $30-$40 to me it’s still worth it. That’s only an additional $.03/30ml or so. Very worth it to me. So if that is the case, the barrels will make for some very cool decoration :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’ve got a barrel half full attitude…I like that, thx

3 Likes

Plus, you can store whiskey in the barrel. Then mix juice in it and have the whiskey note in your juice if nothing else :wink:

1 Like

or a juice note in your whiskey also not a bad thing

3 Likes

I just got done steeping my base in the barrel for two weeks so I can do what you suggested. I’m new to this and didn’t take all the steps that @LordVapor did, but hoping for the best.

1 Like

In that case, I’ll need another barrel for rum! I’m going to move forward with the base I just steeped and start mixing 30ml bottles of your Drunken Custard recipe and other custards I saw here. I don’t have the fancy equipment you have and crossing my fingers this turns out okay.

Did your barrel leak a bit? Mine is a little wet on the outside, especially around the bottom. I soaked it for 48 hrs.

Is there anything else I can use besides cheesecloth? I’m stuck in the house with a Nor’easter and my barrel is awaiting?

Maybe a coffee filter of two. But I differ to the lord. Lol. @LordVapor

1 Like

Coffee filters will be very slow but may work. You can always bottle, then filter later. Cheesecloth really is the best option. I can’t think of anything else that would work as well.

1 Like

Not so much that it was dripping. But there were areas around the barrel where it appeared to be wet. Not so much to the touch though.

I ended up using gauze. Still kind of a slow but worked. I like your idea of straining later. At least I can bottle it now till I get the cheesecloth. Thx