E-Liquid sugar content

Even if there were sugars making it into the vapor, it’d be a very tiny amount. I met a person at a vape meet who was never a smoker, but vaped 0mg to help with her sweet tooth, since she was diabetic. The research isn’t in yet but I’ve never heard of it being an issue for anyone. The nicotine is probably a bigger issue for type 2 diabetics tho. @amy2 might be able to weigh in as she’s an RN and I’m just some dude repeating what I’ve read online. :smile:

4 Likes

This is the clip from the Nicotine Rivers site FlavourArt section.

“FlavourArt flavorings do not contain sugars, proteins, genetically modified ingredients, animal products, preservatives, sweeteners, or colors. FlavourArt flavorings are gluten- and peanut-free, and they are great for diabetics, vegetarians, and vegans.”

6 Likes
2 Likes

AFAIK for the most part stevias and surculose are the main one ingredients being used to sweeten. Capella’s even advertises this so that Diabetics aren’t scared off to use it in their food. You are correct however if the flavorings did contain sugar it would be a nightmare for diabetic as well as the rest of us. I try to add minimal amounts of sweetener / additives for the obvious reasons " we don’t know yet. " because really all of this is still unknown.

From what I have read / understand vapor is metabolized via the liver that is of course after the fact that the by product of the vapor is inhale thru the lungs then it is sent into the blood system- lungs pump blood into the heart via the pulmonary veins ( what is left over after we’ve inhaled the vapor ) then sent into the systemic circulation ( blood system ).

Why we do not want added sugar in our vapor…it is sticky stickiness isn’t good in the blood system over time it builds up this creates a bigger problem…think Pulmonary embolism ( blood clot ) or a Thrombus which is a blood clot that isn’t mobile and is still attached to the wall of a vessel.

This is why we harp on ppl keeping their Diabetes in check over time the blood gets syrupy and sticky and it creates issues in the vasculature with circulation and ppl end up with ulcers in thier feet/ butt anywhere there is an obstruction of blood flow.

This is also true of cholesterol it has a waxy build up on the arteries leading to a heart attack. Anyhow this is hypothesizing but also all good reasons to avoid too much sugar in your daily life and also reasons we should be careful bout putting sugar in our e juice. Off the nurse soap box I promise.

4 Likes

no, by all means stay up on it. I am used to it, my brother is a doctor of emergency medicine out in Denver. I try and make sure to tell him he’s a dumbass at least once a week so as to keep his feet on the ground (j/k we’re best friends…well…mostly kidding) and not let his head swell anymore than it has :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the way everyone jumped on this topic. I got a good vibe from you guys (and ladies) when I first stumbled in here, and you are confirming my first impression. This is a very very cool place to vape-geek out with other like minded folks.

Now…while we are on the health topic…if Glycerol is the backbone of all Tri’s, would it be safe to say if you have high Triglycerides (which most diabetics do…type 2’s anyway…not sure about type 1’s) that Glycerol is going to give you issues by raising the Tri’s? Or do we circle back to the sound reasoning that these are very small amounts.

Bah…I am way out of my depth at this point.

I ask only out of curiosity really, not trying to stir the pot.

Thanks again for all the answers!! Well informed ones at that.

4 Likes

I wish I knew about the Tri’s myself, in glycerin but since we go to school long enough to focus other things and only a small portion of that is in chemistry I really don’t know. I sucked at chemistry anyhow.

Seems like it would come down to metabolism and what are bodies recognize it as once we’ve broken it down. Hey ask your brother perhaps he knows or in his spare time ( LOL no Dr. especially an ER one has that…) but maybe he could ask one of the pharmacist.

Anywho good food for thought I like questions that force me to use my brain :wink: welcome aboard good to have ya around!

Update: I found a thread over on ECF kinda talking about the triglycerides but it doesn’t seem to nail anything down for sure.

*** I concur with the Nurse in the thread…when you get your levels drawn it really is just a snap shot of what you’ve been metabolizing recently Except for A1C ( which it seems you’ve got a clear understanding on that test so I won’t go into it again I did somewhere else on the forum).

In the original post of that link his tri’s shot up after his last test and he states he only vaped and fasted but really if it were too high and a big difference since his last draw I would if I were in his case get a redraw just to double check and be clear. So verdict is still very much out on whether glycerin affects your Triglycerides…I’d say no but I am not a Dr. nor any of the above that would know. I see that test in my eyes as strictly diet influenced. I’ll do more research on the side and read more when I can. I am vegetarian and have super super low cholesterol as well as my lipid panel tests.

2 Likes

good info once again. Well…I am not a vegan or anything but I am down to mainly just fish and chicken a couple nights a week. No meat most nights. MAN does it feel better…

Also, they have let me stop taking my triglyceride meds so…the numbers are solid… So long as I can maintain my levels I am gtg. If things do start to go up I will alter my exercise and diet…not losing my cloud chasing.

I will ask my brother, the only problem will be he teases me about the vaporizers already so…I’m gonna take a ton of shit about it…lol…but it’s worth it. I’ll take one for the team.

3 Likes

Please do tell him it’s got to be better than the nasties ! One for the team !!!

I’m just another guy reading stuff on the internet, but it seems to me, one of the biggest things most ejuice peeps avoid like the plague is sugars, because mainly the carcinogens it would produce when vaped, along with gunking up and killing coils quickly… So I think for the most part (aside from the apparent FW thing) sugar in ejuice shouldn’t be much of a concern at all, really.

oh I will. And he is just busting my chops, being my big brother. I think deep down inside he is actually curious, but his wide won’t let him try them, so…

NEENER NEENER is all I have to say to that.

2 Likes

One thing obvious I noticed right away in the difference between a smoker and a vape person (from 2-3 years ago when I spent a lot of time in a vape lounge down the street) is the new people walking into the shop who still smoked had a blueish, pale look to their skin on their face.

The vape people working in the store had a pinkish look to the skin on their face. That tells me a vaper is getting more oxygen in their blood stream.

That shop was one of those mix to order type shops so the people in that vape shop were handling 18mg nicotine bottles all day long (and even told me they got shaky from the nicotine). A pink face usually means the blood pressure is a little elevated though too.

I think a vape person is a lot calmer than a smoker, the smokers seem agitated to me at times.

I went back and forth for a long time. All I know is I feel a lot better when I am vaping than smoking in general health terms and I do have issues with blood sugar. I know the analog cigs affected how my body was processing glucose in a very negative way, especially in the morning. Toward the end there the first one in the morning almost had me fainting.

1 Like

I’m a type 2 diabetic and haven’t noticed any changes in my sugar levels and A1C numbers but I have been vaping since before I was diagnosed. Keeping an eye on this thread because I have wondered the same thing too.

2 Likes

excellent :slight_smile: any new stuff I read I will post here so everyone can stay informed.

1 Like

My mom is a type 2 as well and she gets tested monthly by her physician and her levels haven’t went up so I’m guessing it doesn’t really affect blood sugar? That’s just a guess though.

One of the main reasons I started vaping was because of my pulmonary function test when I was diagnosed with COPD. I can tell you that I breathe so much better now. Back in the day I was also a singer… but for the last five years (prior to quitting) I couldn’t sing without hacking up a lung, that too has changed. Seven months and no pneumonia or bronchitis. Prior to vaping I was getting one or the other every three months.

1 Like

That’s a great success story! Thank you for sharing that!

2 Likes

I just got over having double pneumonia and vaping wasn’t giving me any issues at all during that time. I actually think it helped.

2 Likes

Its funny you mention that @Bearkat , vaping has always reminded me just a little bit of the nebulizar treatments I used to have to give to my nephew…

1 Like

Here’s a fun fact that I just read:

“The first “powered” or pressurized inhaler was invented in France by Sales-Girons in 1858.This device used pressure to atomize the liquid medication. The pump handle is operated like a bicycle pump. When the pump is pulled up, it draws liquid from the reservoir, and upon the force of the user’s hand, the liquid is pressurized through an atomizer, to be sprayed out for inhalation near the user’s mouth”

Sales-Girons pressurized
nebulizer from 1858.

So I guess vaping has been around since the mid 1800’s.

Here’s the rest of the history:

In 1864, the first steam-driven nebulizer was invented in Germany. This inhaler, known as “Siegle’s steam spray inhaler”, used the Venturi principle to atomize liquid medication, and this was the very beginning of nebulizer therapy. The importance of droplet size was not yet understood, so the efficacy of this first device was unfortunately mediocre for many of the medical compounds. The Siegle steam spray inhaler consisted of a spirit burner, which boiled water in the reservoir into steam that could then flow across the top and into a tube suspended in the pharmaceutical solution. The passage of steam drew the medicine into the vapor, and the patient inhaled this vapor through a mouthpiece made of glass.

The first electrical nebulizer was invented in the 1930s and called a Pneumostat. With this device, a medical liquid (typically adrenalin chloride, used as a bronchial muscle relaxant to reverse contriction) was made aerosol by the power from an electrical compressor. As an alternative to the expensive electrical nebulizer, many people in the 1930s continued to use the much more simple and cheap hand-driven nebulizer, known as the Parke-Davis Glaseptic.

In 1956, a technology competing against the nebulizer was launched by Riker Laboratories (3M), in the form of pressurized metered-dose inhalers, with Medihaler-iso (isoprenaline) and Medihaler-epi (adrenaline) as the two first products. In these devices, the drug is cold-fill and delivered in exact doses through some special metering valves, driven by a gas propellant technology (i.e. Freon or a less environmentally damaging HFA).

In 1964, a new type of electronic nebulizer was introduced: the “ultrasonic wave nebulizer”. Today the nebulizing technology is not only used for medical purposes. Ultrasonic wave nebulizers are also used in humidifiers, to spray out water aerosols to moisten dry air in buildings.

Some of the first models of electronic cigarettes featured an ultrasonic wave nebulizer (having a piezoelectric element vibrating and creating high-frequency ultrasound waves, to cause vibration and atomization of liquid nicotine) in combination with a vapouriser (built as a spray nozzle with an electric heating element). The most common type of electronic cigarettes currently sold, however, omit the ultrasonic wave nebulizer, as it was not found to be efficient enough for this kind of device. Instead, the electronic cigarettes now use an electric vaporizer, either in direct contact with the absorbent material in the “impregnated atomizer,” or in combination with the nebulization technology related to a “spraying jet atomizer” (in the form of liquid droplets being out-sprayed by a high-speed air stream, that passes through some small venturi injection channels, drilled in a material absorbed with nicotine liquid)."

3 Likes

I gotta tell you…this is a perfect example of why I love this site so much. The sheer volume of raw information freely provided, by people taking time out their schedule to research, that is important to know if you wish to speak intelligently about this crazy thing we all do called Vaping. The site may be ELR but it goes WAY WAY beyond simple recipe sourcing.

Thanks for this Bear!!!

3 Likes